Ciro-flex viewfinder

I recently acquired a Ciro-flex TLR that I believe is a Model F

(Raptar shutter, flash synch switch, 1/400 max shutter speed), but it

has a plain ground glass focusing screen.

I was under the impression that the Model F had a fresnel lens

focusing screen, which is reported to be brighter.

Three questions: 1) is this really a model F? 2) can I replace the

ground glass with a fresnel lens? 3) if so, where can I obtain such

fresnel lens ground glass?

Thanks to all. I'm still waiting for a sunny day to finish the roll of

B/W film that's been in the camera 15 or more years.

<Chas>

Everything in the frame must contribute to the picture.

If it's an F, it will have an f/3.2 taking lens instead of f/3.5. Other models with a Rapax shutter are the E (f/3.5 with flash synch) and C (f/3.5 lens without flash synch). I THINK that all F's and at least the majority of E's should have the Fresnel screen. At least some C's lack the Fresnel screen, but these have automatic parallax correction in the finder, which is pretty cool - i think the only other camera at the time to have that was the Rollei. Unfortunately they had to drop this feature to make room for the Fresnel plate in the later models.

I have split-image Fresnel screens to fit the Ciroflex if you want one; the price is $30 postpaid. The ones I have are a one-piece screen so if you have the older model Ciro you can keep the parallax correction in the finder.

rick :)=

Don't think there's anything like parallax correction on this camera. The taking and viewing lenses are mounted to a rigid front panel.

How difficult is it to change the viewfinder screen? Is this something I can do myself?

I'm thinking of having the camera fully restored by Dean of Idaho, could he make such a change?

Thanks in advance

<Chas>

Everything in the frame must contribute to the picture.

As far as I know a fresnel screen never was fitted to a Ciroflex. What they had was a thing called a 'field lens' - which was a separate plastic fresnel screen placed underneath the regular ground glass. This was not model specific but was a later upgrade fitted to all later models.

Fresnel screens were fitted to ALL Ciro-Flexes after 1948. The camera's design was modified slightly to permit the addition of the Fresnel plate below the groudglass, because the original parallax-correction linkage would no longer fit.

Fresnel screens can be done in two ways: either molded into the surface of the screen itself (on the opposite side from the matte focusing surface) or as a separate plate either above or below the groundglass. Like other TLRs of the late 40s and 50s, the Ciro's approach was to add a separate plate below the glass screen. It is more common today to mold the screen out of plastic and do it all in one piece.

:)=

• Like 1

Charles, I can email you a sketch showing how to change the screen and what the parallax correction linkage looks like if your camera has one. If the camera does not have parallax correction, it's extremely simple: remove 4 screws in the finder hood and lift it off. If it does have parallax correction you'll know immdeiately because the hood won't lift off, it's held by the linkage. In that case you will have to remove the front leatherette and 4 screws and lift off the front panel fascia to remove a screw from the linkage. It's not a hard job.

It may or may not be necessary to readjust the focus, depending on how closely the thickness of the new and old screens matches. If you do have to readjust, this too is easy on the Ciro-Flex: the viewing lens is locked by a ring around the lens on the front. Loosen this ring, turn the viewing lens to adjust focus, and retighten the lock ring.

:)=

Thanks Richard. I'm certain there is no parallax compensation, I've held the camera in my hands off and on for more than 40 years, and I think I know every feature and function on the camera.

Can someone point me to a source for a suitable fresnel lens for the viewfinder?

<Chas>

• 16 years later...

I just purchased a Ciro-flex (E) and when looking through the viewing hood I saw that it was dirty. I removed the hood and cleaned the mirror with no problem, but when I went to clean the the focusing screen it now looks like it had a wet area in it? I can still see though it but I know why it looks wet. Do I need a new focusing screen, and if what size it??????

Eric 

I've had a couple Ciro-Flex cameras.
They always tend to come to me a bit neglected.
I like the simple industrial build quality.
You can make a focusing screen.
Take the old one, measure thickness, length, width.
There are acids to etch it, or you could have one side sandblasted.
I went the acid route.
Then install it.
If you've no way to measure, go to a glass & mirror supply company with the glass in hand.
Let them measure and cut a new piece for you.
Then you're just left with the acid etching.
I also like the simplicity of the Ciro-Flex.

I suspect Rick Oleson (who replied in this very same post back in 2006 makes replacement screens and likely has this screen and/or the dimensions to make one.. 

Back in 1986 or so I broke the focusing screen on my Baby Speed Grapic... talk about a newbie.. I was pleased with myself when the "etching idea came to me... Back then I didn'T understand what a "ground glass" screen was.. but I was VERY sure no one had one laying around and I was on my own... So I got a peice of glass cut to the right size and from the hobby shop bought the etching solution...  Meanwhile  30+ years later I've bought two TLR screens from Rick Oleson...and recommend you do the same.

SCL Gave you the link 🙂