Using Diafine AND Rodinal?

I faintly recall reading a thread where someone mentioned using Diafine followed by a

rinse and then another developer..I think it was Rodinal.

This is interesting to me as I like Diafine and Rodinal.

Does anyone know about this procedure and what it's effects would be?

jmp

There would likely be little effect on shadows (which Diafine already develops as far as possible), but significant increase in contrast -- overall, then, the result would be like conventionally pushing the film even beyond the already increased EI that suits Diafine. You're probably on your own to determine what EI to use, and by shooting at a still higher EI you'll lose shadow detail compared to the normal Diafine process (not changing the way Diafine works, but just giving the film less light in the first place). You can even put the film back in Diafine again (after a thorough rinse) to push further; Tri-X can get to at least EI 3200 with three cycles, according to one person who posted here a while back.

I wouldn't even worry about rinsing, unless you're going to go back into the Diafine Bath A again for a second cycle (or after using another developer); if you do that, then a minimum of six changes of water with 15 seconds agitation each would be recommended to remove all traces of alkali and avoid contaminating the Bath A.

Hmmmmm......

OK, I rated TriX @ 3200 and carefully metered (Incident) to make sure I was really shooting

at 3200.

I ran it through Diafine as usual and then rinsed. Then I put in Rodinal 1+200 (600ml) and

dropped in a pinch of Sodium Sulfite for good luck. I agitated for 60 seconds and let it sit

for 90 minutes.

It looks REALLY different from TX in Diafine. There is higher contrast, but it doesn't at all

look underexposed. It looks much more "all there" than pushing TX in DDX or HC-110 or

D76.

I was shooting outside at Dusk...metering indicated f5.6 @ 125th. I shot a few more as

the light was fading. Then I shot a few indoors under Lamp lighting.

I'll try to scan a few tomorrow. I think I have found a new toy :)

jmp