No IR effect With Rollei IR 400 and 89b Filter

Hello All,

I've been using Maco IR820c 120mm for some time with a B+W 092 (89b) filter with

good results. When my stock of Maco ran out I started testing with Rollei IR 400.

For my first tests I used the same B+W 092 filter, shot in the same conditions

and metered the scenes using my hand-held spot meter the same way I did for the

Maco. I tested using ISO 25, 12 and 6. The film was developed with Xtol 1:2 for

13 minutes at 20�.

Altough I have some frames that are correctly exposed and developed (most of

them between iso 12 and 6), I'm hardly getting any IR effect! Blue/cloudy skyes

come out nicelly, but the film renders green foliage much the same way a normal

b&w film would when exposed through an orange or red filter.

I saw in the Rollei brochure that they recomend an 88a filter instead of the 89b

I'm using, they seam too close to make a difference, but I'll try an 88a if I

can find one... Before going for another filter, I'll also try to overexpose the

film a little more as recomended in the Rollei brochure.

Other than these, does anyone have any ideas or experiences to share?

Best Regards,

-Rui Cardoso

Look at this thread were all answers about E.I. is given by Rollei/Maco, developing tables are available and where you can find an exact answer for your filter questions.

In the German Fine Art Foto June 2006 (PDF available) in this link, you can see also some samples:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229&sid=afbbeb91ad55d3cc768ec563ec73ca16

Hope to be helpfull,

Robert

Rui,

What you're getting has been reported elsewhere on the forums.

Rollei, in my view, really %$#*ed this film up. Truly %$#*ed it up.

The infrared filters are expensive to replace. I also have an expensive 092 that is useless now. I used to used Maco IR820C in sheet film. It was fabulous.

I'm positive the new Rollei IR will fail in the marketplace. Absolutely positive.

• 2 weeks later...

The New Rollei IR 400 after much testing I have found to be superb true 400asa (12asa with the 88a) with very very fine grain and allot more user friendly in processing.

I have found after a 1 min pre wash (although there is no anti halation layer) the Rollei 400 best souped for overall image rendition in Kodak HC110 dilution "B" for 8 mins 30 secs or for maximum sharpness in Ilford Ifosol S 1+9 for 7mins 30secs.

As I have said I have found this new film all in all a big improvement over the old Maco 820c, the 2 stops of extra speed and the vastly finer grain make it in my view a real winner.

I suggest you bite the bullet acquire a Heliopan 715 and enjoy.

Kind Regards, Steve<div>00HIG3-31170884.thumb.jpg.7de297e9b1382a2ba2c219a23f1a9008.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...

I have two problems with Rollei 400.

1) I shoot 4X5 and I could not find any directions for development. I looked at those for the MACO 820: Xtol 1:2 for 14 minutes and that gave clear negatives. Now I use Xtol 1:1 for 20 minutes with constant agitation and I am getting close.

2) The film is on a very thin base. That gives it a very diffeent feel in load into holders or in my JOBO reel.

At nearly $3 a cheet, this has been frustrating. By the way, I use an 89B filter. That is not the souce of any problems.

• 5 months later...

It becomes unfortunately again and again pointed out, that the ROLLEI INFRARED is not a real IR-film. Therefore, I permit to refer itself to the following LINKS, which permit an extremely clear statement to the fine IR characteristics.

http://125.photobucket.com/albums/c76/keithwms/KY_rollei400_horses.jpg

http://125.photobucket.com/albums/c76/keithwms/IR-park-stairs.jpg

http://125.photobucket.com/c76/keithwms/Cville_IR_Jan07_cr.jpg

Cheers

• 2 years later...