Almost 6,000 views in 3 weeks... of a turtle?

beauh44

This isn't an earth shattering problem or anything but I am curious. About 2

or 3 weeks ago I put a photograph of a snapping turtle up in my portfolio.

It's not a particularly good picture - in fact, the only reason I copied it up

was because it fit into a "No Words" topic at the time.

See for yourself: http://www.photo.net/photo/4540459 Yep,

that's a definite Pulitzer-Prize Losing photograph alright!

Anyway, in about 3 week's time, according to the PN statistics, as of today

that photograph has been viewed 5808 times! WTF?

I have images that have been up for years that haven't been viewed that many

times. Is it possible something's screwed up with Photonet's "Viewed X Times"

counter?

Again, no big deal - It's just that it's hard to believe that *that* many

people are into pictures of snapping turtles. Oh well... Maybe it's because

the turtle's naked? ;-)

Yeah, I have had several that I wondered what the hell was going on too. The other thing I can't figure out is how I can have a photo with 20,000 views, when only 1200 people have come to my home page. How in the hell do they end up seeing this one picture? (http://www.photo.net/photo/4114393). Also, 20,000 view, and just 5 comments and 14 ratings. Doesn't add up to me.

<I>Somehow I doubt that calling attention to this photo with a direct link will in any way decrease interest and pageviews.</i><P>

Oh I don't care how many people view it... it's not that. I just wondered if something was broken with the counter that logs the number of views a photograph receives.<P>

Trust me... I didn't provide the link to get more people to look at it; If anything I wanted people to see how downright ordinary it is and that's why (I think) it's weird it got so many hits.<P>

Just curious is all! ;-)

Beau,

You didn't put up a photo of a 'turtle' alone, but a photo of a turtle in its environment, doing what turtles know how to do best, (whatever that is . . . which is I suppose move slowly . . . at a turtle's pace) . . . and the environment has multiple planes from foreground to back with the entire photo saturated with color. There are worse photographs -- a lot worse -- on Photo.net. Go see for yourself, and study your own photograph (I do a lot of mine that have unusually high viewerships, despite low ratings, low initial views, etc., but which somehow grow in viewership). Often such photos get stuck on a most-viewed list somewhere, or they are 'sticky' for those who happen to view your portfolio and somehow 'clickworthy', a topic I wrote about a couple of weeks ago in this forum. You might someday be surprised to see that same photo with 50,000 views and wonder 'WTF?' again, as I have many times.

Just goes to show, ratings aren't everything for a blessed few photographs that slip by the ratings system and the TRP.

John (Crosley)

<<Christopher Appoldt , jun 18, 2006; 09:38 a.m.

I had a layover in MD last week, and saw a few otherwise-textless "Fear the Turtle" ad campagins - couldn't for the life of me figure out their meaning. Now I know. Figures. Thanks!>>

Yeah, it has to do with UM. Their mascot is the terrapin (i.e., land turtle, known as the "terp" for short), which has got to be one of the lamest mascots anyone could have ever dreamed up. I used to work in DC and lived in Maryland during that time, when the Terps were poised to take it all in the Final Four (and did), and the whole "Fear the Turtle" ad campaign got started; billboards, newspaper ads, television and radio spots, fearing the turtle was unavoidable. I've never been a Terps fan, even if I did take a few classes at UM, but I did get a kick out of what I thought was a very creative battle cry for a very lame mascot.<div>00Gzbk-30673984.jpg.26c91b05c4419895e9c12183f9ed5c7f.jpg</div>

I could be wrong but I think thumbnail views are also counted. So if the image went through the Rating forum those views of the thumbnail would be counted. Even the 3 current images that show up on your profile page are counted if I'm not mistaken.

Brian has mentioned this before. He could clarify much better.

• 1 month later...

Simple! Someone is stealing it. Your picture has been stolen and is on a popular site and every time a person logs onto that person's "personal" web page you get a hit.

That's the same reason my web site once got close to 4 MILLION hits in one month. Many of my pictures have been stolen and are on other sites. These are simple "hot links" that only bring up the picture.