Should digital users try film, and... vice versa?

ray .

Brad, you lost me with that second picture. I cannot understand what you find attractive in the metallic tones and complete loss of shadow detail. And why do you want your pictures to look like everybody else's? I can look at w/mw threads on the forum where you post and entire threads sometimes look like they might have been taken by the same person. It's like everyone is copying each other with this wierd style. My advice to you is you should break away and develop your own style. You have a good eye but to be very blunt (and to borrow grant's terminolgy)... this "sucks".

Sorry... but I'm sure you want a frank appraisal.

Dennis

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now, don't start a fight on my thread! ;)"

Not sure if I understand your remark, Ray. You routinely give frank, critical evaluations of other people's photographs. I wasn't aware that I was not allowed... ;>)

My point was that the original is a boring, "found" shot of two mannequins that does not demonstrate any particular talent or skill in either the seeing or the taking... then Brad tried to make the shot dramatic in Photoshop by ramping up the contrast and adding that weird metallic look. If this is what you meant by suggesting that film users learn to use Photoshop, then definitely no thanks.

Dennis

Dennis, the nice thing about photography, is that if one wants to, they can

<I>experiment</I> with different techniques and develop a style they find interesting/

expressive/pleasing and might eventually call it their own. I'm always doing that. For

example, earlier I took another approach of very highly saturated color SP. There are a

handful of others here (few on this forum) that experiment as well - and in my view, they

are some of the more creative photographers. If you don't understand why one would

want to do that, or more likely, feel that it's a move away from the ethnic purity of leica

photography you espouse, that is certainly your right. You've spoken many times in the

past on the forum swaying from "traditional" leica photography.<P>

Which gets back to your original question: <I>And why do you want your pictures to look

like everybody else's? </I><P>

Well, don't yours with a straight B&W look, look similar to a few million other

photographers. Where is your voice and expressive style?<P>

It really is a shame, Dennis, that you have this aggressive need to keep people and their

photography/art in line to your rigid standards and view of the world. I suspect you might

have similar views with respect to pre-1400 Medieval paintings - why the heck couldn't

painters keep their art simple and liturgical... Someone's recent analogy with respect to

yourself and Tom DeLay was apt.<P>

You're still playing the Gotcha! game. Time to grow up and stop being disingenuous -

your recent several posts are a good example of that.

www.citysnaps.net

Jeeez, Brad... awfully touchy aren't you? If you want to believe it's a great shot... go ahead. I'm sure there are lots of your friends who'll tell you it's awesome. Is that what you want? I'm sorry you're not amenable to listening to an honest critique.

IMO the shot enforces previous remarks I've made about this popular style emphasizing style over substance. And apparently it's not too hard to obtain in Photoshop... that's all I'm saying.

You have a good eye and IMO you should more often emphasize substance over style. Forget about taking 300 medicore shots in one outing that can be Photoshopped into some cool style. Take fewer shots and concentrate more on improving the content of individual shots. If you are taking 300 shots in two or three hours, when so you have time to think about your shots?

I'm sorry you are not receptive to criticism and constructive advice Brad.

Dennis

More disingenuous remarks by Dennis. Nowhere did I say it was a "great" shot. Please

point out where I said that. You can't of course...

Just more twisting on Dennis' part. And refusal to address the points.

www.citysnaps.net

There's plenty of room to play around with composition, lighting, subject matter in more traditional B&W Leica photography. When it comes to people as subjects, unless you back off with a telephoto you're interacting with your subjects no matter how much you make the attempt to be strictly the observer. And of course all these things would apply to digital capture, or color film for that matter, as well. There's more to "style" just what you can manipulate with photoshop. A Minor White doesn't look like an Ansel Adams.

W. Eugene Smith, H.C.B., Cornell Capa, all distinct.

Brad, don't be angry and upset because I criticized your picture. It's a boring, very average picture and is not indicative of your level of talent. You attempted to cover up the lack of interesting content with a cool Photoshop style. Do you disagree with this?

Jeez, man... other people have their pictures criticized. Are you special? The beat kind of critique is the honest, brutally frank kind like I've offered... unless you think you've already reached a point in your photography that it requires no improvement.

There is nothing inappropriate about my remarks. You response is out of line...

Dennis

You really are losing it Dennis. The topic YOU brought up was my style (after I responded

to Ray's question with two photos) . You made the claim my style is like everyone else's. I

explained why I do what i do. You just keep doing the straw man thing....

You're looking really silly and disingenuous not staying on-topic.

www.citysnaps.net

I think it is important to be accepting of differing styles and tastes. a photograph should exist on many levels, and the viewer processes through their own selective-filtering of what makes it through. this could change on a daily basis .. and is what makes reviewing an image a year later so exciting. perspectives change, life-experience alters the view. one important lesson in life, is that our personal view of the world (or imagery) is just one view among many, many possibilities.

It really is a shame. This was one of the BETTER threads I've seen on he Leica Forum in a

long time. Good questions and information exchange. And civil too.

Then Dennis, feeling the need to railroad the discussion and get some attention, goes at

it with his 8:21AM comments - which had nothing to do with the thread at all.

Anyone know why that is?

www.citysnaps.net

hmm, so we have Brad and others contributing thoughtfully and constructively to Ray's thread that was chugging along just fine amongst the adults. and without an invite, some twat comes along and starts badgering and making things up...again. Dennis, you've become so tiring. give it up.

Daniel:

I actually agree with you about keeping an open mind about other styles. It doesn't mean we have to like all other styles... and my opinions are just as valid as the next guy's.

FWIW, in this particular style I think Edmo's work is very good. That's because Edmo's content and composition is interesting. I believe it's Edmo that a lot of wannabes copy. I still can't stand the bronze, metallic skin tones and high contrast, even in Edmo's work, but I still like some of his shots. I'm sure Edmo would disagree with me about his skin tones...

As for a more traditional style have you seen much of Jung Yang's stuff? Consistently very good stuff.

Dennis

"It doesn't mean we have to like all other styles... and my opinions are just as valid as the next guy's."

since when was this thread about critiquing other styles? you're an ankle-biter-kick-me dog running out and taking any opportunity to have a go at Brad.

Look, Eric... Brad posted pictures to demonstrate his style; and even showed before and after Photoshop examples. Brad wanted everyone to see his work; he wasn't asked to do it. Would it have been inappropriate for someone to say how much they LIKED his pictures and his style? Would you be whining right now if someone praised the photographs?

In light of the entire thread, if you would care to read it, there was nothing wrong with my comments. Brad is just throwing a hissy fit because someone criticized his photography. In your case, Eric, hero-worship is not very becoming in an adult man.

Dennis, c'mon man, have a go at Brad via email or criticize his

pics on a critique or w/nw thread. This isn't the place for it, simply

because you're screwing up a good discussion.

Travis, the extra oomph is the whisper subtle tonal quality I've

seen in some silver prints with some photographs. On the other

hand, you can pick up a D70 now with a good zoom lens that

covers the equivalent range of 27 to 105mm focal length, just

about everything you need- for the price of an M6 body. I've never

used a zoom, but I think I'm quickly getting addicted to it. And for

some reason with this camera I just seem to feel like taking it

everywhere- much larger than a Leica but not really heavier and

so comfortable in the hand, and no film to load and unload...