Kindermann 120 film loader question

Has anyone on this list any experience using Kindermann 120 film

loader with the Kindermann tank/reel? Mine arrived today, and after

discovering how it works, I'm curious to learn of any precautions I

should take before and while loading the film. It seems like an

ingenious device that would make loading 120 film onto stainless reels

a breeze.

I started developing B&W film for my wife about a year ago. I?m pretty clumsy and found it difficult to load 135-36 exposure strips without harming a few frames (sometimes many frames). They were always the ones she really wanted. I also messes up a few rolls of 120. I was about ready to give up when I discovered the Kindermann loaders available from Adorama. I have loaded several hundred rolls of 135 and at least one hundred rolls of 120 without any problem. I did have a few scratches appear on the 120 and found a little rough spot on the film guide. I polished it with one of her emery boards and have not had a problem since. Her photography instructor says that the loaders are too slow. We had a race. He won but by seconds not minutes and I have the comfort of knowing that all of my frames will be developed OK. This is a good product for amateurs like us. The only draw back is that the Kindermann reels are expensive but I scored a bunch on e-bay for about a buck each so I am set.

I find the Kindermann 120 film loader to be more trouble then it's worth, but if you have trouble loading 120 reels it might be worthwhile. OTOH I've never got the hang of loading 35 mm reels without the Kindermann loader for that size. FWIW, I find Kindermann and Nikkor 120 reels equally easy to load and Hewes 120 reels (which many people think are the best) slightly harder to use.

Bob Marvin

I damaged the first few rolls of 120 I loaded on plain stainless reels (possibly Nikor, since they came to me with Nikor tanks, but I have no way to be certain) -- but I haven't had a single kink mark in almost a year, and never had a problem with 35 mm (which is significantly stiffer than 120, and thus is more resistant to kinking). I don't like more machinery in my changing bag than necessary, and don't yet have a "real" darkroom in which to load film on a nice counter (likely never will have the "nice counter" part -- my darkroom will be a bathroom with a double sink in a counter barely big enough to hold the two sinks).

I've never been able to load a SS reel, and I've made my living for decades handmaking small parts under a microscope. The Kinderman reels and loaders are a breeze, both in 35mm and 120. I just thread the film through the guide, latch it in the core, and turn the little crank prong. That simple, never had a misload since I started using them in the 70s, takes about 20 seconds to load a full 36-exp roll. I've always used the hand-held loaders, but a couple years ago I found a used bench-type Kinderman loader (not made anymore)that loads both 35mm and 120. Wonderfully simple devices.