Help with Trix @ 1600 Rodinal or D76

Ive searched the archives and haven't really found an answer.

I shot a wedding last night with some Trix @ 1600. I want grain. I

have on hand D76 or Rodinal. I know the rodinal will give grain but

at what dilution would be best? Or would d76 1+1 be better. I read

a few comments that d76 was unpleasant with trix at 1600.

most pushed processed example Ive seen look like prints from

underexposed normally processed negs, I want a grainy look some

shadow detain would be nice but not neccessary. Nice blacks .

Any advice

I love Rodinal for the slower films and larger formats (120 and sheet films) but unless you want really exaggerated grain, I think I'd ponder D76 or XTOL diluted a bit which will give better results. Other alternatives include Crawley's FX formulations for maximizing film speed (FX-11, a PQ-Glycin formula, and FX-15, an MPQ formulation) although they are also fine grain "solvent" developers like D76. If you can find a fresh batch of Paterson's Acutol- S (FX-15) try that on a test roll at a dilution of 1:3 or more which lowers the sodium sulfite concentrations below their optimal solvent concentrations.

You probably want to keep the sulfite below 25 grams per liter (final) to minimize the solvent action and still get the speed enhancements needed (D76 and the two FX formulas mentions have 100-125 g/L in stock solutions). At 5 grams of sulfite per liter you'll start to see greater compensation effects, especially if you reduce your agitation to once every few minutes, and this will help to tame contrast issues as well. However, your developing times with D-76 and the two FX formulas would be very long at the 1:20 and 1:25 dilutions needed to get to this point, and the speed benefits may be lost (definitely with D-76 unless you buffer it a bit more). But Rodinal 1:25 or 1:50 with 4-5g/L of Sodium Sulfite will produce better speed (30-50% increase), and Photographer's Formulary's TFX-2 may also be a good choice for the same reasons.

READ chapters 5 and 6 of the Film Developing Cookbook to better understand the chemistry of developing agents, sulfite and the buffers that make it all work!

I haven't used the 1:200 dilution of Rodinal much and so I can't really comment, but I do intend to further explore the well diluted Rodinal (200X or more) +/- other modifications such as 4-5 g/L of sulfite and perhaps some more buffering or carbonate to rev up the developer capacity a bit. Of course doing all of this may cancel out the other benefits of Rodinal so I'm not ready to say it is the best way to go.

Adding the low levels of sulfite (4-5 g/L) to Rodinal and perhaps even a bit of Kodalk or bisulfite WILL improve the effective film speed but at the price of a bit less resolution and sharpness due to the buffering effects. As always compromise is inevitable. However, if you are pushing the film anyways, this may not be such a bad thing. Still, the safe thing is pushing in D76 at 1+1 or more, with XTOL reputedly an even better choice.

• 8 months later...