Guess? Which Leica Lens?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The perspective seems a little bit flattened to me. I would venture that the lens is a little longer than 50mm--say, 75 or 90?

As much as we fuss about the virtues of our lenses, ad the differences among their signatures, it seems paradoxical that some folks get upset when asked to recognize any of them. It seems like a good exercise in sharpening our knowledge and observation skills. In fact, maybe I'll start a thread myself.

I love Leica gear and own and regularly use some of it, but I can't help but thinking that there is no way to tell what lens took the above images. Quite apart from variability in scanning and image processing, which may not be doing the negatives or the images justice.

Does anyone think that they would be able to tell a scanned and posted image apart taken with a 50mm Summicron, against say a 50mm Nikkor SLR lens? I don't believe this is possible, but would be happy to be proven wrong. I'm not being disrespectful, just genuinely interested.

Lev, interesting comment. So if I posted an image from each of these cameras, you would be able to easily differentiate the digital from the film cameras, and most probably between the SLR and the M?

Unfortunately I don't have suitable images to post for comparison, but I hopefully will in the next few months. It would be interesting to see how people get on with this.

FWIW The only images that I believe I could correctly call at least nine times out of ten would be between medium format and 35mm images/scans. Here the difference is really unambiguous (IMHO). Cheers, A

This thread does raise an interesting point.

I can post stuff I have taken with Contax/Zeiss, Minolta X series SLR/Rokkor, Leica CM, Leica Summicron, Nikon F80, Nikon D70, Canon A80, Rolleicord, Yashicamat 124G, Lomo, Olympus Trip 35, Yashica T5, Contax T2/Zeiss Sonnar..... etc etc

No-one will know, unless I am truthful, and no-one can tell IF we are all truthful. I can append a picture of the camera (the ones I still use) but that is only evidence of ownership and not use of the same camera for that shot.

I am getting around to removing details from pics in my gallery because they are unecessary. I remember what they are taken with and if people like a picture they can ask. The equipment used is not important as long as it results in a good photograph.

Actually both were taken a while back with my old Leica CM and BW400CN (or Portra 400BW or T400CN or whatever Kodak were calling it that week) but my point is that no-one is able to post any photo that people will be able to tell is Leica just from the 'look'. (At least no-one has managed yet and this IS the Leica forum)