Guess? Which Leica Lens?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LEICA VARIO-ELMAR f/3.6-7.9/28-80 mm ASPH.? (The C3 lens if it's film).

Second guess, DC Vario-Elmarit 5.8~17.4/2.8-4.9mm (Panasonic Lumix DMC-F15/K lens) if digital.

Given the size and resolution of your image it could be any of the two, as well as any of the stratospheric ones like the new 'cron 50.

Please help me here. How can anytone know a difference between lenses from a photo. even a big slide screen would not reveal anything more than good lens v bad lens let alone who made it.

a web pic could have been made with an old instamatic camera in the right circumstances. 511 pixels can tell you nothing about quality or makes.

Brandt, a photo can contain several clues as to which lens was used.

If a picture has typical wide-angle perspective, it had to have been taken with a wide-angle lens. (However, the inverse isn't true: a picture with normal perspective, or even compressed perspective, doesn't necessarily mean the lens was normal or telephoto; the picture could be a crop.)

The degree to which the background is out of focus could be a clue to how big the aperture was. Coupled with an assumption about focal length, this could indicate the lens used. (Example: wide angle perspective plus out-of-focus background would tend to indicate a 35 Summilux.)

Extreme close-up perspective could indicate that the lens is a DR Summicron or 90 Makro-Elmar, rather than a crop from a shot taken at normal distance with a different lens.

A picture of a flat surface with markedly better resolution in the center than in the corners might indicate that the lens is of an older generation.

The rendition of out-of-focus light sources sometimes can give a clue as well.

However, I don't see that the images shown here contain any unambiguous clues, except perhaps that the first shot could not have been taken with a long prime lens.

If I can't have a vowel, do I get another spin?

Can't you tell from that characteristic "glow" which differentiates Leica lenses from all others? Don't all the lenses have special characteristics which Leica cognoscenti can instantly recognize?

Jonathan. I did not make myself too understandable sorry.

I know what you say about wide angle / tele, DOF etc. What i dispute is that one can tell any more than good quality v bad quality from a print or slide screen. NO quality difference can be told from computer screen at all. Except the most gross technically bad lenses maybe. Anything better than a cheap plastic lens will all look the same on a computer screen (except basics as Jonathan said like wide/tele or small/big aperture)

cetrainly no-one could ever tell BRAND from photo or screen or slide. impossible.

<i>"Can't you tell from that characteristic "glow" which differentiates Leica lenses from all others? Don't all the lenses have special characteristics which Leica cognoscenti can instantly recognize?"</i>

<p>What'll happen next, Bob, is the Leica cognoscenti will come up with a barrage of "only if"s. A classic? "Only if" you look at the original piece of film with a loupe - only the Leica 5x APO will do, by the way - which conveniently explains why nobody ever sees the "glow" in print, on the web or anywhere else.

I cannot afford very nice cameras quite yet until soon but I have bookshelf full of excellent, to me, photographers books from most of the 20th century and the only 'glow' is what the photogrpaher decided to place in picture. It is there in lots of photos but the man or woman who pressed the shutter decided it should be there. Not the lens.