Microphen & Perceptol

<i>(Moderator's note: Please don't make unsupported statements or ask questions that merely imply the repetition of rumors, such as the one initiating this thread. If you can provide irrefutable evidence of the most recent possible nature, fine. Otherwise, don't just repeat gossip you've heard on the internet.)</i><p>

<p>

========================================<p>

<p>

Hello,<p>

<p>

Ilford is not producing this developers anymore? Can someone provide formulas?<p>

Thanks<p>

Rui<p>

Lowell - I thought you just said that F76 was an analog of Microphen? I can't really figure out which developers from clayton correspond. The descriptions are all like "this developer is great for everything!" it seems to me.

perhaps you could give me a better idea of how Clayton developers match up against those from other companies? Perhaps off-line?

allan

Kodak Microdol-X is a perfrect substitute for Perceptol. They are, in effect, identical.

Ilford Microphen and Perceptol are proprietary developers, you will not find published formulas for them.

However, if you search this site you will find reference to a formula published in the "Darkroom Cookbook" that is supposedly a close match for Microphen.

Assuming you can't find Microphen, than Kodak XTOL might work nicely. It has very good film speed, too.

Hello Rui Alves,

Below is a formula I've known and used for years, a one that is, to my best knowledge and experience, the closest substitute for Microphen:

Water 750 ml -

Sodium suplphite 100 g -

Hydroquinone 5 g -

Phenidone 0.2 g -

Borax 6.8 g -

Boric acid 2.7 g -

Sodium metabisulphite 0.65 g -

Potassium bromide 1.0 g -

Water to make 1000 ml -

Many Microphen-like formulae have been published in different sources. They all should give similar results. I've found the above to have very slightly lower energy than the original (you'll probably need some 10% longer dev times), but retains the character of the negative image you would expect from Microphen. If you are willing to mix from scratch - have fun and good luck.

Regards,

Tomasz