stains on my pants

If the stains are dark, they're probably actually silver, and should be removed by any photographic bleaching agent. The bad news is, these agents (most of them requiring sulfuric acid to work) are also likely to damage the fabric of the pants; your best bet, unless this is your best suit, is simply to designate that pair of pants as "darkroom slacks" and move on.

If you must try to remove the stains, I'd suggest prolonged soaking of the entire garment in acidic rapid fixer (Ilford or Kodak commercial rapid fixers fit this bill) or a neutral potassium ferricyanide solution (Farmer's Reducer, if I'm not crossing up my thiocyanate and ferricyanide bleaches); it's likely to require several days' soaking, followed by a full machine wash cycle in plain water (to remove residual fixer and prevent redeposition of the complexed silver). Be aware, acid fixer is very likely to promote rusting of any steel fastenings in the garment (steel zipper teeth, for instance, or steel waistband slide fasteners), which can produce stains that are similarly difficult to remove -- and in any case, the soaking will most likely finish the job of ruining any garment that's not marked as machine washable.

What you need is Kodak stain remover S-10:

Water.............................96oz

Kodak Thiourea.............10oz

Kodak Citric Acid...........10oz

Water to make............... 1 gallon

Wet the stain with this solution and wait for the stain to disappear. Old stains may require

more than one application and a longer time (several minutes)to disappear. The garment

should be thoroughly washed after the stains have been removed.

The above formula & description is from an old version of the Compact Photo Lab Index.

-Mike