Introduction to Street

dominic_.

"While I would take the camera downtown once and a while, I never started taking SP seriously until I joined PN about a year and a half ago."

ditto.

Wayne is still teaching at focal point, the last i heard. he used to submit to the georgia straight, page 3 content section, but not for along time now.

Henri Cartier-Bresson. Almost thirty years ago I became aware of his work and it blew me away. At the time it was hard for me to imagine that most of shots were spontaneous. His compositions were elegant and it struck me that each element of his photos were properly placed even down to the bystanders in the background. I also had the benefit of being able to actually see his prints up close at a local gallery, A Gallery of Fine Photography in New Orleans, that still carries Cartier-Bresson's work today. In fact they presently have an exhibit of many of Cartier-Bresson's pictures. Over the years I've come to appreciate many other fine photographers whose pictures display a touch of humor such as Elliott Erwiitt and Mary Ellen Mark. One of my favorites is a lesser known Magnum photographer by the name of Richard Kalvar. However, for my taste, Cartier-Bresson still remains the gold standard, hero worship and all that other nonsense aside.

Dennis

I didn't know it was street photography until I got to Photo.net, but I picked up "Like a One-Eyed Cat" by Lee Friedlander back in the late 80s and loved it. I must have been into it before because I've got a ton of NYC stuff from 87. I think I read a piece in Modern (or Popular) photography around then about Winogrand and tried randomly shooting on the street (with awful results!)

And although not really a street photographer, I was very influenced by Ray Mortenson's "Meadowland".

On PNet, the ones who got my desire to get back to the street would have been Travis, Jeff Spirer, and Mike Dixon. Since then, I'd say Maria V. Szulc, Ed Leveckis, Grant, Tom Sullivan, Beau, and certainly others have inspired me.

Now I take pictures on the street every day.

Yank love in. Or, who who's the biggest gob shittttt.. His an all American hero...John Wayne the King. Give me a big bucket. What about old jiffras? he knockes out the odd decent shot. Jeez, you guys are hard to get my mind around..but you do the photo stuff.

Anyway, i like Brads stuff....the supreme technician. Grant, when his hitting the note is there. Keep kissing.

I started doing SP about 1 1/2 years ago using a digital camera,<br>

not knowing what I did at the time - mostly 'street portraits'<br>

with longer lenses. <br>I didn't know anything about the definition of SP. <p>

After doing some research and viewing a bunch of websites I got <br>

an idea of what 'street photography' really is...<p>

Now I walk around using film cameras with 35mm & 50mm lenses, <br>

doing nothing else than Street Photography for the most part...