Anyone Still Using Stop Bath (Besides Water!)

Anybody still using chemistry (besides H2O) for stop bath? I'm

getting back into doing my own film after a long hiatus---I'm really

rusty! In truth, back in the day I had a partner (female!) who did

most of the film developing, while I did the printing. Anyway, I

shoot exclusively old emulsion Ilford films, HP5+ and FP4+ and Pan

F. I plan on using three developers: Rodinol (when I want grain),

Xtol (when I don't want grain) and HC110 (just because). The water

here in Baltimore is very hard and very lousy, so any advice on

stop/fix/final wash is appreciated.

Yes, there are people who still use stop bath (I do). There are also people who don't. This subject has generated quite a bit of traffic lately, some of it quite heated, to the point of requiring moderator attention. You might want to check out <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009ZDV">this thread</a> for starters.

Gary;

I have several threads devoted to this subject that I suggest you read through. Just search for them.

I recommend a stop bath for uniformity in both negatives and prints for all B&W processing. For color, I only recommend it for RA print processing.

It is particularly useful with rotary processors where the distribution of chemicals is not always optimal during the pouring in operation.

This comes from over 40 years of experience as a professional, part of which was at EK.

Ron Mowrey

I use stop bath too going on 40 years of wet work. I tried NOT using it and got caught several times with inconsistencies. After about the fifth screw-up in a hundred rolls, I figured the few cents saved was not worth it. At least a water rinse was better than a few shortcuts I tried, like dump the developer and pour in the fixer. ICK!

How about we rephrase that as "It's remotely possible that an acid stop bath (or acidic fixer) reacting with a strongly alkaline developer in the emulsion can result in apparent pinholes, though it's pretty unlikely with modern emulsions. Individual results may vary depending on processing methods and chemistry."

While I never worked for a photo-related company, I *have* gotten pinholes and lifted emulsion up to the size of a pinhead, but it was long ago on old litho film in some hot litho developer. No problems on anything made since about 1970. Yes, I use acetic stop, and mix it myself from glacial acetic (carefully). I'd be really surprised to see holes show up now. Who's gotten them recently, and with what film/paper/developer/stop combinations?

The water here is very hard, I use cheap steam-distilled by the gallon, wash in tap water with a final wash in a couple changes of distilled.

I've always used a stop bath (Kodak indicator). Never seen a pinhole that could be blamed on it. Got some once with a certain film and thought it was from the stop, but ran more of the same film with a water stop and still got them. I've seen no other instance of pinholes in over thirty years of using a stop bath.

Rather than rehash some very recent threads on precisely this topic, along with any associated clashes, please forgive me if I close this thread to further contributions and ask Gary and others to research the archives for threads discussing the use of stop bath vs. plain water.