D2H Price Drop-Just in Time for Christmas?

mark_b.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropping the price to 2k means they want to get rid of whatever stock they have. I mean, it's almost 2005: who's interested in a 4mp camera, especially since Canon have an 8mp beast?

The D2X has taken over whatever market segment the D2H has and therefore made the D2H obsolete. No point in keeping it.

4 MP is plenty for a lot of the Internet stuff I do, like this forum, ebay, web pages, and

8x10 prints, and so forth.

I really dislike the crappy little finders in the D100, the D70 is even worse.

What's great about a $1999 retail D2h is that next year a clean used one will be under

$1k, and that is something I will be very, very interested in.

Cheers...

My friend, a self-professed "Nikon man," switched from a D2H to the Canon MKII for

one reason: picture quality. The D2H suffers greatly in this area. Nice attempt,

Nikon: Good control layout and various other specs which greatly exceed the Canon

MKII. EXCEPT PICTURE QUALITY.

I got my D2H for $3199, did not like it, sold it at a loss, but not as much of a loss as it is now.

The rumors about an 8MP D2H sound good, but I doubt it wil happen. These rumors get started because of past upgrades that Nikon has done to existing bodies so that users can advance with the times and keep the same film body. The F2 had different eye level finders (S, SB, A, AS) and two motors (MD1/2, MD3) and two motor battery packs (MB1, MB2), several bulk film backs with different features built into the back even! The flash show on the F2 could sit on the rewind knowb or in front of it. The F2 was a virtual Go-bot of a camera. Even the F3 had two different finders, the F4 had different motors giving you the F4, F4s and F4e.

Now let's look at digital. The D1 can now be had for $849. The D1h and D1x had software upgrades but none of them generated more pixels, even by software. The D2x is here now. If Nikon wants to beat Canon at one of these upgrade chalenges, they will be better off working on the next series rather than apologizing for the prior series.

While I think software advances will do wonders, it will still be a 4.1MP camera.

Whatever comes next will,IMHO,be 12MP.I see no point in Nikon making 6Mp sensors,8MP sensors & 12Mp sensors.I see D70 6MP,D100 replacement 12MP D2X 12MP & whatever comes next,F6d?,12Mp or FF.The move will be,IMHO, toward FF for the "professional" cameras & quite large MP/APS for the financially challenged!

Arnab wrote: "An already expensive hobby gets even more expensive with even less resale value factor"

That's assuming that users feel obliged to upgrade every year.

BTW for those who commented about resolution: 4Mpx is plenty for most photographers and most applications. I'm still on a diet of 2.7 (D1)! You'd be surprised how good a frame from a D2H can be compared to 35mm film. It's arguably better in terms of noise, especially at higher ISOs.

Ok, now it is Tuesday and I see the new $1999 price on B&H's web site, so consider the price drop official.

While 4MP is more than sufficient for newspaper and web site images, today, 8MP consumer/prosumer grade DSLR are beginning to appear, such as the Canon 20D and Olympus E-300/EVolt. A drop from $3200 to $2000 in one shot is pretty drastic. To me, it looks more like a fire sale to clear stock. So I wouldn't be too surprised if Nikon introduces some D2Hs (like N90s) that goes up to 8MP, but that can cut into D2X sales. In any case, Nikon needs to announce the official price for the D2X soon, so expect some official words from Nikon to clear up the current confusion.

Some people might not realize that the faster digital becomes affordable, the further it will squeeze film. If you love film, this is very bad news for you. Sales of new film point and shoot is almost zero now. It is a matter of time that there is insufficient business to support a lot of the current one-hour labs, and getting film processed will be less and less convenient.

>"Some people might not realize that the faster digital becomes affordable, the further it will squeeze film. If you love film, this is very bad news for you." -- Shun

Funny you'd look at it that way. I was rather thinking there might be a mild "digital backlash" of sorts. Anyway -- "good enough" P&S cameras are actually the ones that replaced film for most amateurs/occassional shooters, not cameras like D2H. And many pros have gone digital already long before the D2H price cut.

Also, it makes you wonder what could be exact reasons why professional Nikon DSLRs have always cost that much money. Is it the build quality/features or the MP rating? If it is build quality, then why is D2H selling for just a little more than the ancient D100 which is of far lesser quality build than the D2H? And if its MP rating, then why the D70 costs about half of the new price of 4 MP D2H? I know the sensors are different and Nikon can safely shove the elaborately designed LBCAST sensor up their a$$ because it simply doesn't seem to do a better job than good old CCDs -- judging from the many sample NEFs available.

Olympus and Minolta entered the DSLR scene much later but they at least pioneered some useful concepts such as ultrasonic dust removal and anti-shake body. Nikon is simply resting on its laurels and feeding off of its longtime loyal pros and rich amateur fanatics.

When a D2X starts to cost $2000, there won't be many reasons to use film except for certain artistic effects. That is all good for us - none of us want to use film but for the end results (it certainly isn't convenient). I use film because my digital camera doesn't consistently produce pictures which are in focus, and because of certain areas where film produces better results (black and white, night photography, and flash photography). This last point remains valid no matter how cheap digital cameras become - the end result is what counts and as long as the equipment is not prohibitatively expensive, we choose the medium which gives the best results.

If I can afford a digital camera which doesn't have serious defects then I will be happy to stop using film. And so will everyone else. This isn't about some sentimental stuff - it's just a question of what the results are, and what are the associated costs in terms of time and money.

Arnab, the main problem with DSLRs is affordability. The explosion of DSLR popularity since Nikon introduced the $1000 D70 is obvious; just take a look at the number of threads on the D70 and the 18-70 DX in this very forum. The main complaints about the D70 are the viewfinder, AF-speed, build quality and perhaps not being full frame. Full frame won't be affordable any time soon, but if a pro-grade D2 DSLR with 8MP can drop to the $2000 range in another year or so, it'll convert a lot of remaining hold outs. Since the D2H is only 4MP, I don't think it is the answer, though.

There will always be some people who prefer film, but when their number is insufficient to support a lot of film R&D and processing labs, it'll become inconvenient and perhaps frustrating to shoot film. It is like shooting 4x5 sheet film. Only a few major stores carry them and only a few labs process them.

I have to chime in here. I'm very much in favor of the digital revolution and the continuing price drops of digital-mania. This trend has allowed me to afford a caliber of film equipment I probably wouldn't have otherwise been able to. Even though my current film body isn't an F-6, it's far from the light tight box with a lens affixed from years ago that might otherwise been all I was fortunate enough to own. Go Digital!

Jim, be careful with what you wish. Used film bodies are certainly getting cheaper because of the lack of demand. However, film and processing cost may rise also becacuse of the lack of demand a few years down the road. However, you may be shooting digital by then and won't care any more. :-)

With the current exchange rate, this means that the D2H is selling in the US for just over half the best UK online price (and well under half what many retailers are charging). If we don't see an equivalent drop here I can see B&H et al. getting a very big slice of the UK market (and quite a few european Nikon users taking weekend breaks in NYC!). It looks like the affordable mid-range camera discussed in a couple of recent threads is already here...

Cool! now I will get a second and may be a third one.

My first D2h has already paid for the loss in market value by the savings of film and time.

After reading through the posts - I find it very amusing that the very people who are complaing about the D2h - DO NOT OWN ONE! ;)

If you have used one you seem to think your're an expert. Such Silliness. The D2H is not aimed at people who want to shoot landscapes, which judging by most of your profiles you do.

The D2h is aimed at the Professional Sports/Action shooter which nobody who has responded is. ( Expect me)

I shoot rock concerts professionally. I shoot low light events where a 1/2 a stop can make or break an image. The D2h is the best camera for the way I shoot.

Someone said eariler about the image quality of the D2h being better than film in night shoothing- I agree 100% - which was why I got the D2h to begin with.

I typically shoot in the very high ISO's (1600+) The D2h is superior to film cameras in what features present themeselves and the type of image I can get.

So much fun to read the thoughts of people who really dont know anything about what they are talking about.

The problem is not that people do not know what the D2H was designed for. It only takes 3 minutes to go through the brochure and see that all the pics are of sports subjects.

The real problem is that Nikon doesn't have a high-resolution digital SLR, which is what a lot of amateurs and pros alike would like to have. The D2X is that camera and let's hope it is a good one.

Sure anybody can read a brochure. How many of the people who posted in this thread actually have or have used a D2h for its intended purpose a significant amount of time to form an educated opinion- Those are the people who have a right to complain.

Everybody else is just talking out of an available orafice.

I own and use a D2h on a daily basis.

The question/discussion was about the price and not the quality

"Everybody else is just talking out of an available orafice."

BTW, what is an orafice?

If it becomes mandatory that only the owners of a particular DXX camera can "talk about it", it will be amusing. (There will be a lot of D-70 owners, quite a few D-100 and D1 series (bought used) owners and a handful of "flag-ship"owners.)

Put this to Todd/Shun - the moderators.