Processing Ilford 3200 B&W Film

andy_sprauer

I recently had to shoot a project with Ilford 3200 B&W film and I

shot it at 3200 ASA. I need to know from someone with experience what

time & temp I should develop in D76 1:1.(have tons of this stuff) I

use a condensor enlarger. I have no margin to experiment! It was 120

size film

i usually process delta 3200 in d76 straight. i don't think diluting it is recommended. at

3200 i develop for 11 minutes, slightly overexposing the film, which usually produces

good results for me.

if this is a big project, why dont you pick up another roll and shoot and develop it as a test

roll? shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Andy,

My copy of the 'Ilford Film Processing Chart' which is a .pdf file downloaded from the Ilford Tech site, states that Delta 3200 Pro, exposed at an EI of 3200, is developed for 10.5 minutes at 20 celsius. The D-76 MUST NOT BE DILUTED.

If you dowload the .pdf for Delta 3200 Pro from the Ilford website it will give you much more information.

Cheers,

Kent

I strongly recommend a speed enhancing developer such as Microphen over D-76/ID-11. I tried the latter a couple of times with my first rolls of Delta 3200 and was very disappointed.

Microphen is excellent at 3200 with Delta 3200. Diafine works very well with Delta 3200 at 1600.

Other speed enhancing developers recommended by various experienced folks include Ilford DDX, Xtol, Tmax, Acufine and others.

Personally, I wouldn't use ID-11/D-76 again with Delta 3200 at anything above 1000.

Hello Andy. I've shot Delta 3200 at 1600ASA and 3200ASA and definitely get better image quality at 1600ASA, even with DD-X developer. In high-contrast indoor situations with spot lighting (such as music performances) the highlight-shadow differences can be extreme and the pushed 3200 negs have high contrast, poor shadow detail, and are hard to print & scan.

I think other photographers have previously posted messages about Delta 3200 which are consistent with my experiences. Although it doesn't really help with your current batch, if you ever need to shoot Delta 3200 again I reckon you should give it a go at 1600. All the best!

I've shot Delta 3200 at 1600, 3200, and 6400. I haven't shot it many times at each EI, I'll admit, but I have shot at least 3 rolls (with lots of testing for each EI for dev times).

I actually didn't have trouble scanning at 3200 at all. Even the first time I developed D3200 @3200, when I used Ilford's recommended but way too short times and got incredibly flat negatives. I scanned them just fine. Printing was harder - I had to use a 5 filter to get contrast up, which lost a lot of the subtle details. But scanning was fine.

Didn't have great luck with 6400, though. Partly because maybe the film wasn't suited for the particular situation.

allan