Shadows lurk within

Shadows in my soul lurk, often not benign

Shadows in, shadows out

None benign

Within my being a smile begins

Shadows are just things

I look upon myself and smile

That is where I will begin.

Heather, what do you think those people who questioned your need to ask for opinions can do to you, besides just doing the questioning? Nothing.

Like Ray said once, if the positive outweighs the negative, then you've already won. Of course, depending on what you seek for in a thread.

Stay focussed. Everything else is argumentative.

wow, entertaining thread, this place hasnt changed much. Different people, same egos...

Heather, since you asked: for

me, those pics dont do much because i've tried them myself a couple of dozens of times,

seen them a million times around by others, and yeah sometimes you can compare them

to those few works of genius you were trying to emulate, but they never get more than

what they are: attempts at emulating. They're not great photos, they REMIND you of great

photos. It's like

final exam exhibitions at art academies: all the pieces try their very best to look like art.

But hey, that's where everyone starts (except for the odd genius). I, for one, have to go

through all that to find my own thing (still working on it). <br><br>so keep shooting!

Madam Heather, the evil knight has been vanquished, along with his wicked squires. He lies mortally wounded on the field of honour.

Shall I render the final blow, which will part his miserable soul from earthy flesh. Or shall we leave him with the stains of dishonour, until he's called to answer yonder.

Heather: I tried to scan all the posts, to avoid repeating what others may have said. But it's a long thread, so if what I say is redundant, forgive me. At my present stage of development as an amateur photographer, with my present understanding of composition, I feel that there is simply too much going on in most of the photos. They seem too bust for my eye to be able to grasp or find a design within them. I feel I can best find something that my eye can comprehend, in "pitch in" and "alien."

In general, I feel that the photos need to be simplified down to two or three basic elements that lead my eye through to picture, and then eventually to a "final resting place" within the composition. The best photo I can think of, also semi-abstract, though not of a plant, is a nude study that Edward Weston took sometime in the late '30's or in the '40's. Do you know this picture? My eye starts at the top, at the model's head; makes a circuit around the closed loop formed by her arms; and comes to rest back at her head. Maybe you could experiment with that idea in your work, by finding areas that flow like that, leading the eye around and to a resting place.

The only other thing I can think of to say is that some of your shots are perhaps a little too symmetrical, too centered. I wonder if experimenting with a little off-centeredness, or dynamic asymmetry, would please you.

Well, that's my $0.02. Keep trying, and best of luck!