Opinions on the folder of photos

absinthe

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the photographs. <BR>

That's pretty clear. I'm a believer in shoot, look at print, think, reshoot if you can. You have an intent and balance the results against that intent and shoot again till photo shows exactly what you want. You've told me you want me to see a human torso in the tree trunk and an alien in the stag horn fern. My next question is ok, suppose you get me to see those things. Why and wherefore? When you have taken a viewer down a path in some journey it must be worthwhile journey. There must be some gold at the end. If you take me down that path and, as my contribution, I bring my willingness to believe, which is essential for the viewer to enter the photo, and the path ends in nothing worthwhile for me I am ripped off. (hope you stayed with me thru that run on sentence) It's lke John Lennon at the top of Yoko?s ladder at her showing if it would have said "NO" instead of "YES."

Perhaps I just have a grouping of photos wrong. Grouping them by the meer fact that they are forms of plant life & shot with the same lens & film & received the same post negative work isn't strong enough. If I were to group the torso shot with other shots that had underlying human form, would that be a better journey?

<i>seeking the advice or approval of others only helps to create photographs that fit into the very ideas in which people are using to judge the photos....</I><BR><BR>

Precisely!! People want to make photos that fit the user's needs. It's the same as building a car that customers will buy. Why would I make a photo that someone wouldn't want to buy? Unless of course I was willing to forgoe customers for my own personal vision and hope that I could eventually bring them around. Either that or be willing to go it alone.

is heather seeking approval or advice allen? both? neither?

I can't speak for Heather.However, at some stage in your photography you looked for approval, Then you moved on.

Folks are at different stages in their photography.

Think Grant, it's just as important the way you say things, as what you have to say. That's if you want folks to listen.

<I>whos talking about buying photos...? this isnt a sears portrait studio...</I><BR>

You take me literally. *buy* as in approve, like, go for, be willing to praise, say yes to, rate highly. . . you get the point. Isn't that the major past-time here? The major motive.<BR><BR>

<I> what if that user is the photographer?</I><BR>

I talked about that after the *buy* discussion. See next post. It follows the *unless*.

<i>yet another expectation....is life just about filling expectations?</i><BR>

I think our species spends a lot of time fulfilling or trying to fulfill expectations. And boy are we are dissappointed when we fail. <BR>

I think the really decisive moments in our lives are when our expectations are completely blown out of the water. The miracle is greater than any of our little expectations. And because we filter our experience thru our expectations we may actually miss the miracle when it happens, miss the decisive moment. Never saw it coming and certainly did not act to keep up with it.