Cheap Tri-X bulk from Adorama!

peter_kim2

I think I got the last roll of imported Tri-x at Adorama for $25

(still hasent shipped so I'm hoping they dont give me a

dissappointing call)

However while I was checking my order status I noticed they have cut

the price of domestic Bulk Tri-x from $45 to $35. Just wanted to let

you all know in case you wanted to take advatage of what may be a

pricing mistake. BH has the same thing for $45.

Freestyle is now offering Tri-X (import) at $31.99 for 35mm x 100' I just got their Fall 2004 catalog yesterday, but it is not listed in it, however their on-line catalog does. I'm planning to order some tomorrow. Allan Chen has an earlier thread on this subject; reading that thread will give a lot of info on this subject.

I just finished the last roll I bought from B&H for $24.50 It was 100'of KOTX100(USAW) 402 (Perforated with numbered frames)They are out of stock and don't plan to re-order. Interesting when they stopped selling the imported 400TX film, Freestyle started to carry it for the first time, I believe. I have no proof, but Tri-X 400TX doesn't have to go so very far from Rochester to come back into America to be called imported. Check out www.freestylephoto.biz for details.

Good luck,

Les

Well that makes some sense, but there's a hole in that line of reasoning as of today. USAW versions of TMX and 125PX are available and in stock, and USAW TMY is listed as "back ordered" according to the information posted on the B&H web site. USAW Tri-X is listed as "out of stock." In the B&H lingo, "out of stock" means, and this is quoted from the web site, "This item is not available from B&H." "Back Ordered" means that the item will be restocked. So if Kodak didn't like the fact that B&H or anyone else were selling USAW and/or import versions of their films, wouldn't that apply equally to TMY which is listed as being "back ordered?" Will USAW TMY eventually be re-listed as "out of stock?" When the stocks of USAW TMX and 125PX run out, will they too be listed as "back ordered" only to have the status change to "out of stock" after a suitable mourning period? Who knows? I sure don't and I wouldn't be surprised if the people at B&H know either. Right now I have enough Tri-X stocked away in the deep freeze to last me a good long while. Maybe USAW and/or import versions will become available again. But would I be willing to pay the premium for Tri-X when the time comes for my next bulk purchase? I think not. HP5+, if it is still around, is close enough for more than 95% of my Tri-X applications. For the relatively rare occassions when I need to push an ISO 400 film, my choice would still be Tri-X because it is the best film I've ever tried in the speed increasing Diafine. For the rest of my work, I'll be looking for less expensive alternatives.

Frank:

there was a thread on the whole import Tri-X thing a month or two ago where I wrote that I had corresponded with B&H and they told me that grey was not going to be restocked and the USAW was getting increasingly difficult to find. That being said, the local store here (central camera in Chicago) has dropped the price of regular USA Tri-X to $2.85 or so because of decreased pricing from kodak.

I'm surprised B&H doesn't say "FU" to Kodak, what can Kodak do about it if B&H says it will continue to sell imported Kodak? We all know B&H is going to be around longer than Kodak.

I sure wish B&H or Adorama would follow buy.com's and campmor.com's "free shipping over $100" etc.

Andrew:

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps when they see the sales of Tri-X and other emulsions dropping in favor of the competition, the situation will change. I can't believe that grey market and USAW films provided no profit for the retailer and Kodak. As much as I like Kodak's B&W films, there are others out there as good or maybe better.

I just ordered from Freestyle 2 rolls of 35mm x100' import Tri X 400 [400TX]at $31.99. The order taker told me they had only 80 rolls left before my order. They won't have anymore grey market/import when they run out. BTW is there a difference between those two terms? Just wanted you folks to know what happening in the ever shrinking supply of bargain Tri-X.

Les