Bad Trip At B&H

arthur_gottschalk

We've had a very bad experience at B&H. My girlfriend bought a used

Mamiya 6 from them several months ago, a camera they rated a "9". A short

time later she discovered that parts of the camera had been painted black to

improve the camera's cosmetics and disguise the camera's true condition.

She brought the camera back and pointed this out, and they offered to spruce

it up again. Then the camera's winding mechanism broke, due to the

excessive use that was disguised, and Mamiya USA can't repair it. We

brought it back to B&H again, asking for some kind of restitution. Sorry, no

dice. I think that's bad business.

Used equipment from B&H I believe comes with a brief warranty, 6 months,

90 days, whatever, if the camera malfunctions or breaks after the period

of the warranty, B&H will not fix the camera, its sad but simple. B&H have been straight forward and honest with me for the past 10 years of

doing mail-order buisness with them, I generally stay away from used cameras, and lens. Good Luck, I'm somewhat surprized Mamiya bailed on

parts for the Mamiya 6, is it that old?

Sorry that the Mamiya 6 failed - seems that a camera rated 9 should last longer than a few

months. I would be curious if anyone knows whether it is possible to evaluate the winding

mechanism of a Mamiya 6 to see if the part is likely to fail anytime soon or if its just one

of those things that fails without warning? I also noticed that B&H sells Mack warranties for

its used equipment and they seem reasonably priced. Has anyone used this service and if

so, how was it? Maybe Mack has parts for the Mamiya 6?

It is no help at this time,but everything I have read about the Mamiya 6 is that they have constant film advance problems. I had a early 645 and it kept breaking film transport gears (bought it new). Thats why I took a big loss and sold it cheap and went to Hassey 25 years ago.

The lack of availability of parts for the Mamiya 6 winding mechanism is well known. It is paradoxical that my 1967 Rollei can be repaired, but my mamiya 6 (maybe 10 years old, not really sure) can't. My solution is a spare body, not a really satisfactory solution, but the camera is such a joy to use.

If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. Can the offending part be manufactured or repaired in some way? Does anyone know what the part is made of?

It seems to me that the weak winding mechanism is a known problem with Mamiya 6 cameras, so it probably did not fail due to "excessive use".

In any event, I would be surprised if any store would offer restitution on a used camera several months after purchase, especially since it sounds like it failed after the warranty period was up. Put yourself in their shoes - how would they know how the camera was used (or abused) after it left the store?

"A short time later she discovered that parts of the camera had been painted black to improve the camera's cosmetics and disguise the camera's true condition."

Should she not have noticed this when she bought it? I like B&H but their s/h is rather overpriced and it always pays to be vigilant. If it was out of warranty then I agree with their stand, if not, then they should provide an alternative or whatever their policy decrees. I don't really think you can expect them to point out every quirk and fleck of dust in the camera before you buy it.

Robin Smith

I also own a Mamiya 6, bought new and still working perfectly. It's my favorite

camera. . I think it's a real shame that Mamiya won't remanufacture the

necessary parts, as it has such an enthusiastic following. Better yet, they

should reintroduce it as there is nothing else like it in the marketplace. Yes, I

also have an M7 II, which I bought primarily for the 43mm lens.

Arthur, too bad you didn't research the Mamiya 6 before you let her buy it, or you would have discovered beneath the cloud of perfume sprayed by current owners of that camera, the stench of the norotious unreliability of the film transport as well as Mamiya's cessation of parts support.

That said, I agree with Robin, it should have been apparent immediately to you or to her that the camera had been repainted. B&H has a 14-day no-questions-asked return policy, followed by a 90-day warranty (60 days longer than most dealers and even 30 days longer than KEH as a matter of fact).

Now "several months later" (obviously more than three) you want to bash B&H on the internet for not refunding your money? Sickening.

I think that selling a used camera that had been doctored to appear in much

better condition than it actually was -- and giving that camera a much higher

rating than it diserved-- should be grounds for some kind of restitution. How

about a partial store credit? Or a discount on a replacement? How would you

feel if you paid for a "vintage" Diane Arbus photo, only to find that it was

printed yesterday? When you deal with a well-known store like B&H, I don't

think it's too much to ask of them to stand behind their products and take

responsibility for their mistakes.

Everyone seems to over-rate equipment. I see lots of cameras on eBay that are desribed as "mint" that show clear signs of wear. I've also seen lenses described as mint, even though the seller acknowledges fungus growing on the lens elements!

All the same, I'm sorry to hear about your fim transport failure. Lack of spare parts is a problem for any obsoleted camera (obsoleted by the manufacturer, that is). My Contax IIIa can only be serviced by scavenging other bodies.

Good luck.

I have had good luck buying used gear (maybe a dozen transactions)at B&H - all mail order. I have had "9" rated gear look'n'feel new and come in its original box. I have also had excellent service from B&H via the telephone and internet. It's too bad that the camera failed, seriously. However, B&H may have honored their warranty,at least in their minds, by offering to "spruce it up". Had the mechanical failure occurred earlier, I believe that B&H would have stepped up and taken responsibility. The bigger pity is that Mamiya USA bailed out on fixing it, even if it is billable. Mamiya is accepting no responsibility at all.

062004 1616

B&H made the following response to my request to them for a comment. BTW, there may have been a Jim involved in this mish Goss, but it wasn't this Jim. I've never been in B&H's store.

B&H RESPONSE TO UPSET CUSTOMER

Customer: My girlfriend bought a used Mamiya 6 from them several months ago.

B&H: Nine months ago to be exact.

Customer: a camera they rated a "9"

B&H: Could have been overrated (but customer saw this in the store and decided to buy it).

Customer: She brought the camera back and pointed this and they offered to spruce it up again.

B&H: After the warranty period and we advised her to send it off to Mamiya.

Customer: Then the camera's winding mechanism broke, due to the excessive use that was disguised, and Mamiya USA can't repair it.

B&H: Mamiya has discontinued this camera for the past 4 to 5 years it definitely was used before by a previous owner (This is the used department at B&H).

P.S. Mamiya stopped repairing these cameras, as all company's do on older cameras.

Customer: We brought it back to B&H again, asking for some kind of restitution. Sorry, no dice. I think that's bad business."

B&H: Brought it back on Thursday (nine months later) 6/17/04 and requested money back, not some type of restitution, customer blew up in the store and threw a phone on the table (B&H property). Only wanted back her money.

I think customer is trying to take advantage of B&H.

Our name is well known as a customer service oriented and are willing to bend the rules especially in the used department but this customer didn't want to hear anything except complete refund.

Should anyone reading this response feel they would like to discuss this matter or Jim himself who was in the store and didn't say a word at the time feel free to call me at 800-963-2525

Israel

Used Dept.

To reiterate a few points: The customer bought the camera because it was

rated a 9 and "appeared" to be in excellent condition, The customer did not

see the wear that was disguised by the paintwork at the time of purchase. If

she had seen it she absolutely would not have purchased the camera. The

fact is, the camera was misrepresented. No one is accusing B&H of painting

the camera to disguise it's true condition. That was probably done by the

previous owner. Nevertheless, B&H had a responsibility to stand by the rating

they gave it.

The fault also lies with Mamiya for not keeping parts available for such a

popular and useful camera. They sold quite a few of them in the United

States, and all of them are slowly turning to junk. I have three Rollei TLRs,

each more than 40 years old, all all of them are easily repaired today.

• 1 month later...