i love this site and the photo critique forum, there is so much to

learn and enjoy. the one thing that puts me off is some of them

rating ur photos really low, and then not commenting on why they did

rate it so low. what do we do with people like this? could we make it

mandatory to give comments if the rating is low? would that make

sense? i got a 1/1 rating for one of my white hibiscus photo in my

portfolio from this person when on an average the other raters liked

it a lot.

Best thing to do is not worry about it. There are idiots everywhere. There have been many complaints about the system and a search in the past forums might help explain, but it will happen again. The basic explanation is that after ten ratings the average will outweigh an erronious rating.

thanks! but i think we need to report these people and get them terminated from the site bcos they do it with a lot of people. do i hear a thumping consent here? i would request the management to take action against these people could we report on these idiots?

We have had a mechanism for reporting abuse for years. Send email to abuse@photo.net. Abusive ratings are ratings that are dishonest. For example, somebody who rates everything low would be presumed to be dishonest, since it is hard to think of an honest reason for rating only photos that you don't like.

You don't have to put up with abusive ratings; so report them. But you do have to put up with "stupid" ratings. We have an abuse department, not a stupidity department. People are entitled to their honest opinions, even if you might consider them stupid, for that matter, even if they ARE stupid.

People who are stupid (i.e. people who don't agree with you) are a fact of life, including on the Internet (especially on the Internet), and it is no different on photo.net. If you don't want to deal with stupidity, you can save yourself about $20 per month by cancelling your ISP account.

This type of topic and comments you can find lots and lots in the forum.

My suggestion now is to open a new category "I got a low rate from some idiot" in the forum, with a FAQ presentation like:

1) Why dont we force users to leave a comment if they give a low rate?

a - they will write garbage.

b - gigas of expensive drives will be filled with garbage.

c - users will complain in the forum because of garbage comments.

d - gigas of expensive drives will be filled with this kind of comments.

2) Why just dont let users with no uploaded photos to rate or comment?

a - valuable critics which dont post will leave our comunity.

b - ghost users will upload garbage.

c - gigas of expencive drives will be filled with garbage photos.

d - users will complain about useres with garbage photos giving low rates with no comment

e - gigas of expencive drives will be filled with comments ...

and so on...

One or two low rate with no comment per day is recomended for our mental health, may taste ugly but works! ;)

Pradeep, <br>

As frustrating as it is there are members that either don't take the time to familiarize themselves with the guidelines (our only hope to the entire community being on the same page) or let their personal tastes interfere with giving an honest assessment...there really has to be an obvious pattern for it to be considered abuse. On several occasions in the past I've noticed blatant abusive rating while surfing the gallery and I must say that within 24 hours of reporting it to abuse@photo.net the abusers' accounts were deleted.<br>

Personally, if it troubles me enough...what's been most successful for me is to send a polite e-mail requesting feedback.<br>

You have a great portfolio, don't let this get you down.

None of the rating values are considered abuse in isolation. The range runs from 1 to 7 and all the values are legitimate. That is why we ignore reports of "abuse" which amount to "Somebody rated MY photo low".

However, if somebody builds up a rating pattern consisting largely of low ratings, we tend to take that as abuse, since it is hard to see why anybody would spend significant time rating only photos that they don't like. It is far more likely that malice is the motive than any honest motive.

Somebody might have appointed himself as the photo.net "truth squad" with the mission of letting everyone on the site know just how pathetic their photos really are. In theory such ratings would, in some twisted way, be "honest". We still don't want that person around, and the ratings (and the user) would be deleted, being indistinguishable operationally from a troll.

There are other rating patterns that we consider abuse, such as retaliatory ratings and mate ratings. Some of these patterns are cloudier than others and people can cover their tracks, making it difficult for the moderators to act. But many people don't bother to do so (since it is too much like work), and the moderators who read the abuse@photo.net mailbx are regularly deleting abusive ratings and banning abusive raters.

What should we do?

Well, I'd just get over it and accept some people have different tastes.

I'd also subscribe to photo.net and not double space my user name, but that's just me.

I figure if anyone thinks ratings and critiques here are important enough to get upset over, they should probably be a subscriber - if they live in the US or a country accepted by PayPal. I'm speaking in general terms here, not refering to this particular member. A significant number of similar complaints come from non-subscribers.

A personal view, not a statement of photo.net policy (I don't speak for photo.net)

I would like to see a pattern of 7/7s considered as abuse. It does not insult the photographer who receives them, just everyone else. . . . sort of like butting in line.

Go to 24-hour / photographers highest. It happens every day. . . . and please don't tell me it's subjective. Let's put one up for POW and see what the consensus is.

Perhaps photo.net should publish a document containing everything anyone would ever want to know about ratings, post a prominint link to it on the homepage, then immediately delete all discussions about the subject. The document itself could simply be a composite of the best responses that have come out of these ratings threads recently.

Bill (no relation to Mark above, even though I have a brother named Mark)

If you go out and stand in a public place that has a high volume of human traffic for an hour or so, you will most likely see some rude, thoughtless, and obnoxious behavior. You'd probably not be surprised by that observation. You'll see some of the same rude, thoughtless, and obnoxious behavior here at PN simply because it too has a high volume of human traffic. Why be surprised?

Thanks everybody. I think i get the point. I was very frustrated because it happened twice in short intervals to me, and the second person i found happened to do this to a lot of people, but i guess we need to live with this. Bob, I need to become a member as u say, would do that pretty soon i guess. I would also keep the mail id for abuse in mind when something like this happens in the future. and sorry if i was a little too angry. :) cheers and happy shooting.

Anyone who thinks this site isn't very responsive to user requests, or that email to "abuse@photo.net" doesn't get a response for a day or two might want to remember this. There are about 300,000 registered users on photo.net. If we gave them all an equal amount of support time, and we had one person running support full time for 12 hrs a day (with no meal or bathroom breaks), each users would get 0.144s (144 millliseconds) of attention.

If we limited support to the 3000 or so subscribers, each would get a whopping 14 seconds.

Have you had your 14 seconds today...

Sort of puts things in perspective.

yes thats what i think too now, i am glad i was able to share my frustration with all of u and now i am more composed and mature to just ignore it now, no point giving these people any importance, i need to learn not to be so impulsive :) happy shooting cheers.

Hello,

you know who I am.

I´d like to say that I´ve been giving 6´s and even 7´s also.

Ok, I really didnt know the rating system was so meaningfull to the photographers here. I´m trying to ponderate really well before rating a photo with 1´s, and also, I´ll leave a comment. ANyways, can you guys Imagine what would be Van Gogh´s rates by the time he was alive?

Caio,<div>007jHl-17083084.jpg.d5609b66e92e7a4323a7ca45734b3364.jpg</div>

<< I would like to see a pattern of 7/7s considered as abuse. >>

Bravo! I was thinking the exact same thing.

It's funny that you never read about someone complaining about a pair of 7s they just got for a photo.

I think that people that rate too high should also be considered for abuse. Many times they are just trying to get others to rate their own pictures high.

Here is a suggestion: Create a program that will scan for users that rate too low (maybe below 2.5?) and too high (above 5.5?). Send those users an email that will warn them of impending doom. If they don't change their ways within a certain timeframe, then boot them off the system.

Well unfortunatly there are alot of people who put their 'so call ablilites' ahead of many others.. I have had some very good photographs been verbally raped by others whos work whilst technically ok are creativly boring.. We can help other peoples opinions! and all we need do is look at their work and compare it to our own and make our own decisions.... The person who rated your work low... is their work any better than yours!?? if not then we disregard their comments.! If their work is Very good. then we need to take notice

<i>all we need do is look at their work and compare it to our own and make our own decisions..</i><p>

One of the worst ways to determine the validity of criticism. It's been said over and over, there is a difference between being a photographer and being a critic. If you can't tell the difference, you'll never get the advice you need.

looks like this has been a good thread, thanks to me ;), just kidding there, i agree with the 7 ratings too, u get some people rate some of ur photos 7/7 and u really feel guilty, u just feel it wasnt there, but i guess its human instinct not to mind more of anything :) i do rate some photos 7, but if they are like works of mark plonsky which just bowl u over when u see them and u cant but rate 7 (or more;)).

that was a good point, if its a one off critic who rates u low just go on dont bother, i like that. happy shooting, cheers.