Photoflex Changing Room opinions

I am about to make a purchase of the Photoflex Changing Room. In

searching the site I found several LF photographers that didn't like

them for their ergonomics and sent them back. I also looked at (on

the web) the Calumet Changing Room but don't think I would like the

position of the arms/hands in that bag.

Appreciate any comments regarding the above products. Don't really

want to spring for the Harrison Tent as I do 35mm only and don't

need the space and can't justify the additional expense.

Thanks!

I love my Photoplfex Changing room tent. I have used bags in the past and your hands get all sweaty, plus the weight of the bag. I did not like using those bags. This tent or room whatever you want to call it is a great deal for the money its easily collapsible to be flat as a piece of cardboard, but pops up to give me enough room to work with my big five reel tank with the five reels. As far as ergonomics go I haven't had any problem. Mine seems to fit me just fine. I Usually go into my living room and get everything together on the carpet and sit down to do my work (Never carry the bag with things in it, it is more likely to tear that way). You could easily do the same at a desk or bench. I would go with the photoflex its great high quality, will last for ever with good care, and its totally light proof where some bags have problems with leaks(I use mine in my sunny living room and I have never had a leak) and your not spending the money like you would on a Harrison Tent. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

The Changing Room is all that Jonathon says, but I don't like it enough to stop looking for a better solution. I have a photo of my motorcycle helmet sitting on top of it. Robbie the Robot, it was dubbed immediately.

And that's the problem with the changing room: the location of the arm holes. Sit at your desk for five minutes with your arms akimbo, a foot or so above and parallel to the surface. It ain't natural. I set it on the corner of the ottoman, and sit on the floor snugged up to the corner to use it. It just ain't natural.

I don't have a Harris tent, but the armholes look more inviting. One of these days, I'll snag the Changing Room's carry bag zipper on the material and rip an unpatchable hole, and then I'll let you know how the pup tent works out.

I have the smaller one and considering the differences in price, chose the Photoflex vs. The Harrison. I like the Changing Room better than a brand-X bag, but it's always a puzzle for when I have to collapse and store it. It works as advertised, and it works for me and is better than what I had, but it's not a panacea. The CR travels well, but not as well as a small changing bag. It's functional but a compromise.

Michael's response is absolutely correct. The photoflex is effective and affordable but is not an ideal solution. I've found that sitting the photoflex on my lap with a piece of foamcore under it is the most comfortable way to use it, but after 10 minutes I can't wait to get my arms out of it.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. The Red Wing version is the same at the Calumet version and due to similarities I suspect it is manufactured by Photoflex with the of the objectionable arm placement modified to compete with Harrison.

Hey! That's me in the picture sliding an 8x10 holder between the top and bottom bags! I've should have included a bottom view which shows how the top bag overlaps the bottom. No light gets in whatsoever. All seams were sewn. I tried to keep seams down to a minimum. Seams were also covered with strips of darkout material. They were contact cemented on. The few pinholes I found were also patched with the same material and contact cemented. The whole kit 'n' kaboodle rolls up into a compact unit which inturn slips into my 3 year old daughter's Ikea tent bag. She'll never notice it's missing...