Which Zeiss 50mm Sonnar vs Planar for my Leica Ms

john_wayne4

<p>Hello, I've been using Zeiss 50mm Planar f2.0 for two years now and I love this lens. Now I'm considering a Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f1.5 (mainly because of small size). I love the super sharp pictures I get with the Planar. Will I be disappointed with the Sonnar? I've stopped using my 35mm Summilux f1.4 (pre-asph) because the sharpness of my Zeiss 50mm Planar is so much nicer to my eyes. Will I experience softness with a Sonnar len only at f1.5 to f2.0 or at higher stops as well? Thank you.</p>

<p>The sonnar is a reissue of an old formula. It will not be very sharp untill well stopped down and there are focus shift issues with it that are well documented if you search. It is to designed to mimic old fashioned pictures and does it well. It is not designed to competete on a lines per mm basis of a modern lens.</p>

<p>If you like the 50 Planar M. Get a 35 mm Zeiss Biogon 2.0 and it will have similar qualities.</p>

<p>The old 35 1.4 Leica Summilux is soft and flare prone at wider stops and does not have the contrast of slower 35`s even from that era.</p>

<p>Sell the 35 1.4 and put the money toward the new Zeiss 35 and spend the new saved money for the new 1.5 on the Zeiss on a Zeiss 85 4.0. 35/50 85 is a near perfect three lens set.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Assuming the focus shift won't be an issue with the rf calibration of your camera, the Sonnar will not dissapoint assuming you understand it's imaging characteristics. Expect a little bit of softness wide open through at least f/2. From f/2.8 and beyond sharpness picks up nicely and by f/5.6 it's about as sharp as any 50 out there. Most like it for it's unique fingerprint, "artistically" soft wide open (due to undercorrected spherical aberration) and sharp stopped down. Keep in mind that it will be the most flare resistent lens out there, possibly even more so than the Planar. Also keep in mind that it's close focus only goes down to 0.9 m instead of 0.7 m on the Planar.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I don't have the Planar but DO use the C-Sonnar ZM 50mm. The bokeh is excellent and the smoothness of the images is excellent. At a scientific, technical level, it is not as sharp as some aspheric lenses or as the Planar 50mm nor is it designed to be the "technical competitor" of the Summicron or Lux. Comparisons are expected, of course, but the C-Sonnar is kind of unique in the sense that it gives excellent tones & artistic qualities to locations & people, but it does not deliver RAZOR sharpness or equivalent contrast, like a Planar/Summicron might deliver. By no means am I disrespecting any of the above, and I love my C-Sonnar. When I compare same films and same subject matter in my G2 + Planar 45mm vs Leica MP + C-Sonnar 50mm, the results are slightly different qualities but both outcomes are excellent. I religiously use the lens hood, and the lens build quality is A-1.</p>