Which 35mm LTM lens?

justin_ng1

<p>there were 35 mm Canon lenses f2.8, f3.2, f1.8, f2, f1.5. The 1.8 was discontinued in favour of the f2, which is well regarded.<br>

Leica had two f3.5 lenses, of which the later Summaron is better regarded, if clean.<br>

There are really lots more older lenses of other brands. The Modern Voigtlander 35's are better coated and less likely to give trouble if purchased sight unseen.<br>

Of course you need one. Traditionally, set at the hyperfocal distance, they have been considered very good for unobtrusive street photography.</p>

<p>Boy, you're really jumping all over the place with what seems to be unfocussed lens choices, with another 50 earlier in the week, now a 35. Sorry, but IMHO this is insane....you obviously have a severe case of GAS :). Anyway, you should define the characteristics you are seeking from a 35 to get really good advice. Presently I'm using a CV 35/2.5 and find it very satisfactory for a 35. However, my all time favorite is the Leica 35/2.8 Summaron, which irenders slightly soft in the corners at wider apertures. The Crons and CVs have much finer edge definition and contrast.</p>

<p>I had an example of the Jupiter of which Jochen speaks. It worked well and did not cost much. However, it has a bulbous rear which does not go into all cameras. My CV Ultron was also good until it developed haze: although some may not like its size. But my favourite was the Summaron f/3.5 which I used on an M3 for seventeen years. I understand that the f/2.8 version is somewhat better.</p>

<p>Another vote here for a Summaron 3.5 or 2.8, but it really depends on how much your willing to spend? At one extreme, a Summicron 35/2.0 "eight element" in LTM is rare and very collectible, at the other various Japanese products as mentioned above? Most of us will acknowledge the Leica product as holding value better than something from VC. I personally had a VC Ultron f1.7: found it too large, with a poor quality mount, and quite expensive as well!</p>