Where We Are

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by PapaTango, Jun 24, 2022.

?

Where in the World do you live?

1. North America/Canada

64.2%
  2. Mexico/Central America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. South America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Europe/Scandanavia

15.1%
  5. England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland

9.4%
  6. Australia/New Zealand

7.5%
  7. Pacific Bordering Countries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. India/South Asia/Middle East

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Russia/China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PapaTango

PapaTango I See Things

Having been around PN for over 20 years, it still surprises me what a diversely spread group we are.

With that thought in mind, maybe we participate in a poll--identifying our current country of residence!

mikemorrell likes this.
  2. The country I currently live in is almost unrecognizable to me, especially today. So, it's with shame and disgust that I won't even speak its name ...

[old glory hovering over the rock ... the rock is winning]
    alcatraz-flag-ferry-bw-NEW-cloud_5958-SPOTS-ww.jpg

3. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Sadly, Sam, I think that applies to many of us, at least those of us 'rich in years' (I am 71). Even nostalgia is not what it used to be.

mikemorrell, Jochen, sjmurray and 3 others like this.
  4. Rather odd grouping and divisions in that list. The UK is part of Europe. Ireland is too, but is not part of the UK. Scandinavia too is Europe. And Russia.
    Canada is in North America. Countries bordering the pacific are many, including quite a few of the ones mentioned as a separate choice.

5. We had our fun though...

6. Yeah, it's an nasty place over two million people risked their lives to enter this year.

movingfinger and PapaTango like this.
  7. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

What we have is a Constitutional Republic. When one side "wins" the other throws a tantrum. At the foundation of it all is the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Those that find the system or the country distasteful have the freedom to work for change within the system or go elsewhere. There have been several administrations I disliked heartily, but I always loved my country and never thought of leaving.

8. "Never salute a flag until you know who's waving it." Good advice from an ancestor and Abraham Lincoln Battalion survivor.

za33photo likes this.
  9. I once lived in a thriving forward looking country.

Now I live in a Failed State , where Ignorance , Incompetence , Corruption , Superstition and Crime is the normal state.

But of course "The People" can never be wrong.

mikemorrell likes this.
  10. Well said, Sandy. Couldn't agree with you more.

11. The thing about these posts, they could be coming from either side. Hard to tell but nobody is happy with the current state of affairs.

Ricochetrider likes this.
  12. I won’t disparage my homeland but will say we just spent a week on a tiny Grecian island in the southern Aegean Sea. It was lovely and good to be “away” -even if for a short moment.

Taking a break from one’s home country, is, imo, an excellent way to gain much needed perspective - more so, in unsettling times

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  13. I know these threads tend to wander but it would have been nice if it had stayed on theme. I for one would have liked to have information on the geographical make up of members. But I agree the options available needed more thought. But thank you Papa Tango for starting it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Ricochetrider and PapaTango like this.
  14. I have unconditional love for my parents, siblings, and a few special friends. Maybe the Golden State Warriors at the moment! My country, an artificial creation from the beginning as all countries are, not so much. It may be a place a lot of people much worse off want to live, but that offers little solace to me who sees it going back to the dark ages. Plenty of people wanted to live in high flying Berlin in the 1930s and lots of patriots professed unwavering allegiance to their fatherland … at what price? To each their own.

holocaust-memorial-bw_0577-2-ww.jpg

Ricochetrider and michaellinder like this.
  15. Tony Parsons

(Sorry, Gerald)

Is geographical make up any relation to a mud pack ?

16. LOL +1

A comment for the ages. Thanks, I needed that!

michaellinder and Tony Parsons like this.
  17. Everybody in the USA should be able to find at least one state where they feel comfortable.

18. Mein-Stolz-Bürger-der-DDR.jpg

michaellinder likes this.
  19. Tony Parsons

I feel it's a shame that a gentle query concerning the geographical location of members has deteriorated into mere political squabbling. Can we all agree to differ on the various merits and otherwise of the decision making bodies associated with each country, state or whatever, and return to the original intent of this thread ? After all, trees grow, rain falls and the sun shines no matter who is in power - and are far more photogenic subjects.

Tony (with a combination of German, Irish and Welsh ancestry !)

20. If we could just talk photographs and cameras? The world would be a better place.