Vignetting with Kenko electronic Extension Tube

Discussion in 'Macro' started by joseph_smith|3, May 25, 2018.

1. I was shooting dragon flies last weekend with my Nikon D810, Nikon 300mm f2.8 G VR II lens and an Kenko extension tube with electronic contacts so AF would work. I was surprised to see that there was vignetting in all four corners when the f stop was at f 5.6. Vignetting was less noticeable at f4 and f2.8. I did not have my Nikon set of tubes with me. These gave a wider diameter so you do not get vignetting. Does anybody know of a brand of tubes with electronic contacts with a wider diameter than my Kenko set so this problem would not occur again? My Kenko set is about 10-15 years old.

2. Interesting question. Does the tube have a baffle that causes vignetting?

Or is it the lens itself?

With teleconverters, only the center part of the image is expanded to fill the frame, so, assuming
    a full frame TC, you should not get vignetting from the lens. That isn't so obvious for tubes.

3. Kenko tubes have a smaller inside diameter hence the vignetting. No baffle.

4. How much extension does it take on a "Nikon 300mm f2.8 G VR II l" to become usefull ?
    Or does a TC on a 300mm not make more sence for close-up , or is it just me thinking this ?

5. c.p.m._van_het_kaar likes this.