Very compact P&S for bicycle training - does this camera exist

Matthew Brennan

<p>I love my D700 but can't carry it with me even with a tiny prime when riding my bike on training rides. (Road bike riding, swiftness and aerodynamics being essential - no backpacks - we are talking semi race pace training)</p>

<p>I completely loathe my mobile phone camera - not for lack of MP but for the fact that it can't expose a simple subject in sunlight to save itself.</p>

<p>I ride on many beautiful training routes and I really want to stop to take occasional photographs when the scene and the lighting are 'just so'</p>

<p>So I'm after any recommendations for a lightweight, <em>very</em> compact P&S which will fit easily into one of my jersey back zipper pockets.</p>

<p>Requirements are really only :-</p>

<ul>

<li>Compact</li>

<li>Lightweight</li>

<li>No need for a super long zoom, in fact, a short focal range at the wider end of things is ideal if it exists</li>

<li>Fully manual exposure mode would be great but not necessary</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't want to spend mega bucks on the latest and greatest, I just want something with ability to expose correctly and the less noise the better so ridiculously high pixel count models are out. Even older superceded models are fine so long as they fit my criteria.......</p>

<p>Does this sort of P&S exist?</p>

<p>Michael got in first - I was going to suggest a GoPro as well. I believe they're not bad at stills, although the one I bought my wife for Christmas hasn't had a work-out yet.<br />

<br />

My approach to this kind of problem was to go into a local supermarket and see what they were selling for under $60 (well, 40UKP). Cross-check with dpreview, obviously. I ended up with something serviceable that won't upset me too much if I drop it in a river. (My solution before that was a Voigtlander Bessa, but film processing is expensive.) If you want to spend a bit more, the go-to brand for compacts is probably Canon; the S90-S100 are all very good and smallish, and the Ixus line is tiny. But again, dpreview is your friend, and Canon aren't alone in making decent compacts.</p>

<p>Another vote for the GoPro system. Specially over the bike, or on a surf board, there isn`t anything better if what you want is to to express certain feelings. And I way prefer video than still images here. You can always come back with your DSLR+tripod if you want a good still.<br /> <a href="http://vimeo.com/10309510">This woman`videos</a> were my spark (I`m a biker, too), and I also <a href="
surf</a> (another "sparking" video). I know their quality is quite questionable, but that`s another topic...</p>

<p>The GoPro is more for mounting on your bike or helmet to take video of your ride. I think that many people here blindly responded without actually reading your post. You want to stop and take photos of the landscape, if I'm understanding you correctly. In this case, the "super" point and shoots are your best bet. The Canon S100 is currently the king of pocketability while maintaining image quality. Canon is such a large company that they were able to straddle the competitors with 2 models: the jeans-pocketable S100 and the larger-but-still-small G12 (which has a viewfinder and hotshoe). The competitors are the Olympus XZ-1 and Panasonic LX5. Or, you could get yourself a small fixed-lens camera like the ricoh GRD or sigma.</p>

<p>Hi Matthew,</p>

<p>I've been using a string of P&S cameras over the years from an old Olympus stylus (film) to (now) a Canon G10 for on-the-bike photography.</p>

<p>You mention that it is important to have a wide angle lens. My G10 has a 28mm (35mm equivalent) lens. Wider would be better for two reasons: 1. to get wider views of mountain scenery, particularly switchbacks 2. when you are riding next to someone, trying to take their picture on the move, road width and safety constrains how far away you can get. Some cameras have 24mm lenses. That would be better.</p>

<p>Some other things that are important:</p>

<ol>

<li>shutter delay -- most P&S cameras have a long delay. The mirrorless cameras are reportedly much better.</li>

<li>sensor size -- even though the press has praised the G10's image quality, photos from my G10 look "sandy" and don't have the color clarity that my D3 has... and this is even in full sun ("sunny f16") ... a bigger sensor would be a big improvement. I understand the G1X, V1, and the Fuji mirrorless cameras are much better here</li>

<li>stitching -- I often want to photograph mountain panoramas. The G10 has a nice stitch assist feature. It isn't perfect, but it's really nice. I understand the Fuji cameras have a magic stitch mode where you just wave the camera around and it produces a composite image. I'd be interested to hear how well this works.</li>

<li>simple UI -- not sure which camera is the best, but I like to be able to quickly zoom, turn on/off fill flash, etc. with only one hand while I am riding. A good UI contributes to safety. I have never fallen while riding with a camera and I have never dropped a camera while riding, but I do appreciate a simple UI. Also, locked dials would be an improvement. The G10 dials (ISO, mode) sometimes move to the wrong position and I miss shots.</li>

</ol>

<p>Anything you learn, please post as this is a major area of interest for me. I expect to upgrade my G10 to a G1X or Fuji before this summer when I go bike touring. Last summer I did a 2-week tour in the Dolomites. Some days I carried my G10. Other days I carried my D3 + 16-35 + 70-200 in a backpack. The backpack was a beast to carry (both sides of the Stelvio in one day, up Tre Cime, around Gruppo Sella) but I got far better photos with the D3 than the G10. Also, the 16mm lens makes far better panoramas than any stitch from the G10. The problem with the backpack isn't the weight (16-20 pounds) but the fact that it block sweat absorbtion from your back so you really suffer.</p>

<p>Allan</p><div>00ZzF2-440541784.jpg.0159576d50609966e55a6eea328c6822.jpg</div>

<p>If the P&S recommendations given so far are too large, perhaps you need a different phone. I am quite pleased with the images my Nokia N8 takes:</p>

<p><a href="../photo/14484514&size=lg">http://www.photo.net/photo/14484514&size=lg</a></p>

<p>An unlocked version cost me $360 which is less than many P&S cameras. I purchased it as my phone, not my camera. If you like the other features of your current phone, you could simply use the N8 when you bike. Pop the SIM card out of your current phone, put it in the N8, bike. When you return home, put the SIM back in your current phone.</p>

I am a Nikon guy through and through, but when it comes to compact p&s cameras, I think Canon does this best. The

Elph line has always been what I consider the best ultra compact line around and I've given the 300 mentioned above as

a gift and seen that it is excellent. It is tiny and relatively tough - with a nice anodized body in black or red. In sunny

outdoors the chip delivers great images and it does video as well.

<p>I'd like to thank those who suggested the GoPro cameras to shoot quality video - these I had not considered at all and may well get one as a birthday present to myself.</p>

<p>I opted for a Canon S95, purchased 2nd hand from <em>that</em> auction site but 'as new' with all the kit and packaging with only circa 670 shutter actuations. </p>

<p>Initial results are very pleasing, despite having to learn a new menu/button system the camera makes well exposed jpegs in P mode which is all I wanted to obtain and I've limited the ISO to 500 as a few test shots have yielded chronic noise above that setting. I feel like I've gone to the dark side purchaing a canon after owning D70, D200 D300 and D700 but in good lighting conditions I cannot fault this tiny marvel for my requirements and it fits in my jersey pocket just fine - would not have wanted anything larger or heavier for this job.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for your considered replies to my post.</p>

<p> </p><div>00a1ZV-442985584.jpg.84c9e1e4bcc5ebd9f86a5cb7dd9866fb.jpg</div>

<p>Matthew, the S95 also an excellent choice. Even better in many ways because you now have the option to (fairly easily) run CHDK to greatly expand its capabilities by simply downloading user generated scripts. Time-lapse, motion sensing, expanded manual control, the list and possibilities are endless. <br>

<a href="http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief">http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief</a><br>

<a href="http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage">http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage</a></p>

<p>I've been using CHDK on an old Canon A610 and wouldn't give it up for the world. </p>