Today (Feb 20th) Is Ansel Adams' Birthday

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Vincent Peri, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

2. Hey, thanks for the heads up, Vincent.

One of my favorite quotes about Adams, ironically, comes from a detractor, HCB, who was a great photographer in his own right but in this case didn't quite seem to know what he was talking about or at least was judging two fellow photographers rather unfairly.
    What Bresson missed was how important a social statement, in addition to an aesthetic one, Adams was making with his photography, a body of work that was steeped in environmentalism and his love and respect for wilderness lands. He gave the world a gift by putting the beauty of raw nature into our consciousness in such an iconic and reverent way. And he used his celebrity in many positive ways to help preserve that wilderness.
  3. No one is good all of the time, we all have our share of throwaways. Adams did too I'm sure. Most of his work I've seen has been superb while much of what I've seen from HCB really isn't. I didn't know this was Adams birthday though, thanks Vincent.

Rick H.
  4. One of Amsel's assistants, Alan Ross or John Sexton, said it was very liberating to go through the boxes of prints and see run-of-the-mill photographs. I think in the Eloquent Light Adams stated, 12 good negatives [or prints?] a year, is a good crop.

Vincent Peri likes this.
  5. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Hmm... I'm 1/3 of the way
    through a 36 exposure roll.
    Guess I can take the rest
    of the year off...
  6. No. Keep going and you can just put them toward next year’s!
  7. paul ron

paul ron NYC

One of my all time favorites.
    happy birthday ansel.