The end of an era

<p>Sad to say, that after about 40 years of pretty constant use, my venerable old dark room is shutting down. I just pray that it's not a permanent thing. Due to the crazy stupid cost of owning a home in NJ. I have made the decision to sell the old homestead to a builder, and find my self a comfortable apartment to hang my hat, and my collection of every ready cases. I do plan to keep shooting film, and I am hoping that where ever I end up, I will be able to set up at least a temporary DR to continue my work. If I need to sell anything, I'll post it here first. Oh and if any one knows of such a place feel free to contact me.</p>

<p>It will be an adjustment. 17 years ago I sold a house with my dream basement darkroom. Today I live in a small apartment and while the intensity of my film photography remains high, I still miss that darkroom at times. One thing I appreciate from all my time in there making prints, is the artful sense I have when working in Photoshop. </p>

<p>Keep shooting film and maintain your interest, it's still fun to shoot. </p>

<p>I used to have a darkroom up on campus -- a really nice one, but renovations took it. I thought about putting in a darkroom at home when I added on a library for my books, but had to face up to the fact that I just didn't do much darkroom work anymore.<br>

Now all I have is a bag of dark, some 'daylight' developing cans, and a surprising inability to physically remember how to get film on the reel without kinks. :(</p>

<p>Frankly, I find that I am more and more depending on the tender mercies of the couple of places in my college town that still do C-41 processing.</p>

<p>I've learned to make my darkroom like a MASH unit. Mobile, easy to set up, and effective. I never rent or buy a place that doesn't have some easy way to black out windows or provide the space to have it running. I found there was no reasonable way to incorporate one in my studio space any longer, so my only darkroom is in my home now (actually my basement).</p>

<p>Doesn't mean the end of your film-shootin' days, though, Ed. I get by with a hybrid approach, scanning negs I souped in the kitchen and having fine prints made at the pro lab; Costco for everything else.<br>

I'd love to have a small lot near the Great Swamp. I'd plunk down a smart <a href="http://www.efficient.ws/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/small-modular-house-design.jpg">modern modular house</a>, but I guess one of those gargantuan McMansions will take the place of your home soon. Taxes in your town must be insane.</p>

<p>Ed,<br /> As another home owner in NJ, I understand fully the need to make such sad choices. Soon only the super-rich will live in houses. :(<br>

Hopefully someday soon you can set up, at least a MASH unit, and get back to having some real old-fashioned fun & enjoyment again.</p>

<p>FWIW, my darkroom equipment has been packed away in my basement for over 10 years, and while I still get the pang for the fragrances of stop-bath & fixer and for dripping wet prints, I've been developing my B&W film in the kitchen and scanning in the resulting negatives to be worked on with Photoshop.<br>

All The Best!</p>

<p>Asheville NC seems to be a pretty popular place for the older crowd. Lot's to do, vibrant community, lot's of classes one can take on a variety of subjects including art, and possibly teaching photography, and then there's the great landscape views. It's not the cheapest community around but it should be cheaper then NJ.</p>