Sunny-16?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by stuart_pratt, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Sunny 15
    Sunny 16 is for the 21st century. I wouldn't use the Weston master II and I have one.

2. A good story about estimating exposure in the pre-ASA/ISO film speeds era that Rodeo Joe refers to, is the making of Ansel Adams famous "Moonrise over Hernandez" photograph, dated to 4:49:20 p.m. on November 1, 1941 by Dennis di Cicco of Sky & Telescope magazine. Adams could only remember that he made the photograph sometime in the fall,but was, during a long period, unsure of which year. In Adam's fine book, "Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs", he relates,

"I could not find my Weston exposure meter! The situation was desperate: the low sun was trailing the edge of clouds in the west, and shadow would soon dim the white crosses ... I suddenly realized that I knew the luminance of the Moon – 250 cd/ft2. Using the Exposure Formula, I placed this value on Zone VII ... Realizing as I released the shutter that I had an unusual photograph which deserved a duplicate negative, I quickly reversed the film holder, but as I pulled the darkslide, the sunlight passed from the white crosses; I was a few seconds too late! The lone negative suddenly became precious."

(cd/ft2 stands for candella per square foot, a unit of luminance, a measure of light emitted per unit area. The modern SI units are cd/m2)

However, his own account of making the photograph changed over the years, see, Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico - Wikipedia.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  3. Your loss!
    I have several Weston Master IIIs (that's when Weston changed to ASA calibration). They're all accurate and working fine - complete with incident dome kits.
    Yeah, if you say so.
    But if you like making life difficult for yourself by using lookup tables; here's how it was done in the mid 1930s.
    Scan10019.jpg
    Scan10021.jpg
    Scan10020.jpg
    Scan10022.jpg
    Got all that? Good!
    Now you can go and really experience what those first Leica, Rollei and Zeiss Ikonta users did if they didn't use an exposure meter.

Above extracted from "The Dictionary of Photography 13th Edition", Illife press, circa 1935. Where there's absolutely no mention of any Sunny-16 rule. Nor is there any mention 43 years later in my 7th edition of "The Manual of Photography", Focal press. Neither can I find any mention in my collection of British Journal of Photography Almanacs from between 1949 and 1976. Which kind of shows how useful the photographic establishment thought it was.

Ricochetrider likes this.
  4. I applied the S16 rule just today. I was shooting with a Nikon D50 and used it as a starting point, F8@1/800-1/1000, ISO200.

5. If you use the stinking table you got it all wrong. You have to memorize it.

Sanford likes this.