SRT101

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by tony_lockerbie, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Finally got a SRT101, long time coming, but now I have one! Back in the day I was a confirmed Pentax Spotmatic user and turned my nose up at the new fangled SRT with it's pansy full aperture metering...I mean..who needs it?
    In the seventies (yes I'm that old) when I was using Pentax gear, friends deserted the Asahi camp for the new kid on the block...the SRT101. They raved about the viewfinder, the metering and the Rokkor lenses, but I stayed loyal to Pentax and no Minolta crossed my path until the lovely XE1 arrived. At that time I was using a Leica R3, and must admit that I preferred the Minolta.
    Alas, both my Xe's have passed on, leaving me with a few Minolta lenses with no home....enter the SRT.
    The black camera I have used here came with a complete overhaul, ready for action, and I must admit that the camera looks and handles great...maybe my friends were right!
    The SRT came with a couple of lenses that I didn't have, a 24mm 2.8 and an 85mm 1.7. I already had a 28mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8, 5mm 1.4, 55mm macro, 135mm .8 and a 200mm 3.5...so good range then!
    I must admit that I still slightly prefer the handling of the Spotmatic, but the Minolta viewfinder is a definite improvement, as is the metering. Ok. ok, full aperture metering is better! Seems very accurate too, so maybe something in the CLC thing that Minolta made a big deal about way back then.
    Very handsome camera too, something about those black seventies SLR's that really float my boat. A little about the lenses, which all seemed to perform really well, which I'm sure is no surprise to readers here. The 50mm 1.4 in my opinion is not quite up to the Takumar, but all the others are equal or better. The two that stood out are the 85 and 24, with the latter being a real cracker in my opinion. The 55 macro is no slouch either.
    Anyway here is the camera and a few pics.
    00cH98-544568084.jpg

2. With it's enemy.
    00cH99-544568184.jpg

3. And some photos.
    00cH9A-544568284.jpg

4. Nice results. And great looking black SRT 101. Thanks for posting.

5. Thanks Mike! Couple more pics.
    00cH9N-544569284.jpg

6. Last one...bit of chrome.
    00cH9O-544569384.jpg

7. Thanks for looking, really enjoyed my time with the Minolta and I will make it a regular user. Film was Across in Pyrocat HD, scanned at 1200DPI on an Epsom V750.

8. Thats a really great looking camera. Incredible shape too. Love the photos!
    I recently bought an SRT101 too, though chrome. I bought it o use the 58mm f1.4 lens on my Sony NEX. The lens has a beautiful, soft look at 1.4, but sharpens quickly as its closed down.
    Joe

9. SCL

SCL

Beautiful camera and nice shots. I remember in the late 1960s that the F4 phantom fighter pilots on my aircraft carrier used the SRT 101 in some of their reconnaisance work. At the time I was debating between the SRT 101, the Pentax Spotmatic, and the newly introduced Leica M4. I ended up with the Leica, last year got a Spotmatic, and still think about the SRT 101, but am reluctant to fall back into the GAS mode. Your photos just add to my anxiety :)

10. Great captures as usual, Tony, from a fine camera. I've long been a fan of Rokkor glass, and your images reinforce my admiration. I've not got the 85mm and it has the reputation of being a excellent performer, your wave pic from this lens being particularly impressive. The Acros/Pyro combination works a treat, as usual.

11. A BSA Sloper, a lovely single, likely a 600 cc thumper (I'm and old BSA fan, having owned many of them)! Built in the 1920s so about 40 years older than your SRT 101. Both beautiful, both from times gone by. My first SLR was a 101, what a great camera. I'd like to see a photo of that 85/1.7 on that black body, please. Your photos above are very pleasing, as usual.

12. Really nice set from a lovely camera. I have an SRT also, although the meter follower has become disconnected. The meter itself is still functional and accurate. If I didn't have such a full range of lenses for my Nikkormat and herd of screwmounts, I'd have spent more money on Minolta lenses. The few Rokkors that I have are both as good as it gets (to me).

13. I always liked the depth-of-field preview switch at the lower left of the lens mount on the 101; as I recall, it also turned the meter off when stopped down, except at the full aperture setting on the lens--a nice way to get around the futsy knurled switch on the bottom of the camera.

14. That's a nice 101. I wish my 102 were black, but having paid 11 bucks for it with something like 30 bucks' worth of film included, and a 1.4 lens on it, I guess I'd better not complain.
    I love this site. I've only run a few rolls through my SRT, and until I read Dennis W's post above, it had not really dawned on me that the odd toggling DOF preview button also toggles the meter.

15. Beautiful camera, Tony... both actually. My dad had a SRT101, and I admired its build
    quality, in comparison to my Mamiya Sekor 1000 dtl. Bit it seemed top heavy toward
    the prism. I think I would rather have your Spotmatic though.

16. Neat story sticking to your guns and the Takumars/Spotmatics .. even though they ( Minoltas ) have a few things too! I truly love your wrok and the look you get.. one of these days umm New Years Resolution to use this developer you boys down under are using at least once even if it is cumbersome in my bathroom to manage. Any way again I love the many photos you posted ehre the look of the tangled trees and swirling sand even the quarty veins in the rocks and the bubbly flowing surf. I inherited a Minolta kit and I've been curious to try the an SRT series camera with this legendary CMC or whatever metering

17. The SRT works well with Minolta's M42 to SR adapter so you can still use those Takumars and have CLC metering as well.

18. With the 85mm lens for Dennis W.
    00cHHz-544588284.jpg

19. Thanks again for your positive comments...much appreciated! Also a thank you for the heads up on the DOF button that turns off the meter, very handy..the meter switch is a pain in the #$se.

20. Beautiful camera and really nice pictures Rick

21. I bought a second hand chrome model in the early seventies from a shop in Bond St. It was a giant leap over the none
    rangefinder Zeiss Werra that I had been using but my role as a new father justified it. When I first saw it in the window I
    couldn't believe that such a fantastic camera was available second hand. On the second day that I went by it was still
    there - I had assumed it would be snapped up immediately and after a few more days I took the plunge. No regrets, it's
    ease of use, ability to do just what you wanted was unsurpassed. I regretted selling it many years later and acquired
    another about three years ago. Glad to see that it is so well appreciated as for me it represented a real high level
    acquisition. Unlike with almost very other camera the 101 exceeded all my expectations.

22. Tony, thanks for the pic of the 85. Nice chunk of glass, I'd never seen one. It looks a bit smaller than my Topcor 85/1.8 even though slightly faster, I guess due to the diameter of the lens mount on the body.

23. "... the 101 exceeded all my expectations..."
    -------------------------------
    Same here. I've been shooting SRTs since the 60's and they're what I still use now (for small format photography). They're built like tanks!

24. As I've said, I used Minoltas of this vintage a fair amount in the field (in dirt, dust, on archaeological digs) with good reliability and function. On the other hand, I never experienced any kind of nostalgia for them as I have with all too many other cameras.
    At this time, the only Minolta I have is the history-changing Maxxum 7000 and a few lenses and accoutrements. Again, I appreciate its significance, but I just don't seem to 'click' with Minolta cameras (perhaps the pheromones are wrong?).
    On the other hand, you obviously do 'click' with it, and it sure is nice looking in basic black. Congratulations.

25. Funny you should say that JDM, because I still have that connection to Pentax cameras and keep coming back to them. Nice as the Minolta is, some cameras just get under your skin. Maybe a thread coming up about this!

26. You lucky dog, and with an 85 too! Those tend to be pricey.
    By the way, if you don't need pansy full aperture metering, you would not like any stinkin' full-information VF with the aperture setting displayed, either. So be sure not to get an SRT102 to go with your 101.
    As to stop-down switches: Yesterday there arrived in the mail a 135/3.5 that I bought for my SRT. It strangely has a push-button stop-down actuator on the lens (close to the mount). This is different to the small thumbnail-slide ones on some older Rokkors, and seemingly somewhat redundant to the stop-down button on the camera body. One wonders what they were thinking there...
    --Dave

27. Early SR Minoltas did not have a depth of field preview function, but instead it was built into the lenses. The 55 and 100 Auto Rokkors that I have both have this. Early MC Rokkors had this as well, but later ones did not. If you want to use an old Auto Rokkor on an SRT for example, stop down metering is required. It's easier for me to stop down the lens rather than the camera to take a meter reading. The stop down lever is nice if you ever pick up an X370 as it lacks DOF preview.