Someone make your day?

<p>I was at the Maryland Renaissance Festival on Sunday with my family and taking some pictures when I ran in to a couple of Gents shooting away. One of them asked if I was shooting film (as I had my OM-1 out) and I of course told them I was. They told me to keep shooting film and never give it up. They had their digital rigs with them, but they made sure I knew that they prefer to shoot film and do a lot of the time.<br>

I guess its 'little things', but it really made my day.<br>

Anyone else have someone comment on their photography or taking of photographs that made your day?</p>

<p>A friend told me the other day that she'd like a print of a photograph of mine, to give to her father for Christmas. I was really pleased about that. Another friend wants me to take some photos for the cover of a book he is writing; whether or not that comes to fruition, I was really excited about the compliment and belief in my ability. JR</p>

<p>people who still think that film was better vs digital*</p>

<p>1_dont have a good digital camera</p>

<p>2_never had talent in film or digital</p>

<p>3_dont accept the fact that whe are moving in time</p>

<p>But more importantly, as Jeff said, for me its the result that count..from a film/ digital camera or form a tradional / inkjet print...the image have to move me..nothing to do with a canon vs nikon, auto setting or not, in camera or not light meter... just the final image.</p>

<p>*In the other hand i agree that whe are now seing way more s*** than before because of the way digital make everything faster; posting on the web, printing, editing etc..and creating bad result quickly by someone without any knowledge. before it cost money to shoot and process, so people where taking more time to press the shutter, and more time to select there final print.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It makes my day when people comment on my photographs, not my equipment.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think that's an entirely fair statement because at this point in time the issue isn't equipment so much as the philosophy behind the equipment. While it wouldn't make my day either, I would feel good/reassured knowing that someone else out there still burns film (even if it seems quite a bit of a hypocritical statement on their part). In "real life" these film shooters are few and far between...</p>

<p>'people who still think that film was better vs digital*<br>

1_dont have a good digital camera<br>

2_never had talent in film or digital<br>

3_dont accept the fact that whe are moving in time'</p>

<p>That's a tuff one!<br>

I can't help laughing, but accept the fact - 'I have got no talent!'<br>

And I haven't got any digital camera.<br>

And all new things being better than old ones? - well not really - I prefer my whiskey and brandy well matured.</p>

<p>Wow, this wasn't a film vs digital argument. If we want to take it in to the sound realm, I think digitized music is much superior to a record, but gosh darn it I love record players and there is just something about dropping a needle on some vynl every once in awhile. Films the same way to me and it made my day having someone appreciate it as well.<br>

Is a 1969 427 stingray corvette a better car then a 2008 ZO6 corvette? In no possible way is it (other then maybe asthetics). It also doesn't mean your a better driver for being in one then the other, but that '69 has something about it that the '08 doesn't and sometimes its nice for someone to appreciate some of the same things in it that you do.<br>

For me film just has a certain something digital doesn't. Mostly its the work flow in taking pictures and creating the print. Personally its also the equipment, to me a OM-1 is a much, much more asthetically and haptically pleasing instrument to use then a modern dSLR. I don't do it for the money, I do it for my love of photography and for me that is 50% the process of taking a picture and 50% the result of the picture. I love working on my house as well, half the joy is the work itself and not the final result.</p>

<p>Yesterday I went to see the new house that some friends of mine just rented. They were unpacking some of the first few boxes which consisted of smaller items like clothes, knick-knacks, and their artwork. They had stacked most of their framed artwork loosely in boxes and transported them that way. But, to my delight, the two prints of mine that they own were wrapped in newspaper, then bubble wrap, and finally packed in a box with sweaters. That made me smile.</p>

<p>A photographer I knew slightly died last week. She and I would meet at local town events that we liked to photograph - the fair, Memorial Day parades, etc., and we would just chat about cameras and photos we had taken. For one event in town I did free family portraits, and she came and had me take her portrait, sitting in her wheelchair with her beloved camera. She wrote her own obituary for the paper, and chose to use the photo I had taken of her. While I was quite saddened to read of her passing, it was nice that to think I had taken a photo that another photographer would use in the end.</p>

<p>Mark, thank you for sharing that story. I found it touching! I think that your story, along with Jonathon, Ed, and Jeremy, are what Matthew had in mind with his OP question. Sad how so many threads get hijacked immediately with a slew of answers that have nothing to do with the OP.</p>

<p>My own addition to the thread qould be the good feeling I got when a close friend - not a pro, but has done some paying work - recently asked me to take pictures of her with visiting family.</p>