Shelf life of Chemicals

hjoseph7

I have unopened bottles of Kodak fixer, Cibachrome developer kits, R3000 developer kits, Acufine, T-max developer,

D76, that have been sitting on the shelf for at least 2 years. They haven't been refrigerated or anything. What is the

possibilty that these chemicals are no longer functional.

There are general guidelines but no one will come right out and say "it's fine" but here is what I've found from experience.

The D 76 is still in powder form I presume?? If so. I'd say it would be good up to 5 years. I've used some at least 2-3 years

old without problems. Now if it has been mixed into Stock or Working solution all bets are off after about 6 months although I

have used Stock solution that was 8 months old.

The fix should be fine for 2-3 years ESPECIALLY if it was a full unopened bottle. I have some older than 2 years that still

works.

Of course if this is for a paying client then you owe it to your reputation to go buy fresh stuff.

I suspect most here will just advise you to do tests with uncritical rolls/sheets and I would certainly agree.

I have no experience with home color processing so I wont say a word in this dept.

If it's powder, unopened and still dry then probably "forever." If liquid, a few years for developer and fix as long as the chemicals haven't settled out in the bottom, usually in crystal form (they don't easily remix once separated). Stop bath, being just acetic acid will also last "forever."

For Kodak D-76, the foil lined paper bags were a bit iffy. If they leak oxygen in, the powder will turn tan or brown, and the developer is toast. The foil/plastic bags currently used are much better. Of course, the old tin cans are pretty much eternal!

You don't care if the powders settle and separate. That's not a failure mode. You always have to mix the entire container.

""(they don't easily remix once separated).

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I need to start shaking some of the chemicals once in a while so that they don't settle and separate."

That's not smart. Oxygen is the enemy of the stability of photographic chemistry, indeed of chemistry in general. By shaking it up, you introduce more oxygen into the mix and speed up oxidation. This is high school chemistry 101. What do they teach in school these days?

And then there is Rodinal, you cannot kill it. I once got my hands on several old glass bottles of Rodinal that were at least 10 years old. Used them overy the next 3 years, no problem. I have had open bottles with as little as an inch in them and black as coffee. Still worked great. The formulae is from the 19th century. Goes to show, you cannot kill perfection. Rick