Problems with Raw format together, with, Adobe Bridge and Photoshop Elements 8

aschwinghammer

<p>I start as an intern with a professional photographer next week so i figured it's time to start shooting in RAW format. I was getting so good at processing all my photos through Adobe Bridge and Photoshop elements when shooting in JPEG, but now another hurdle...I didn't realize how frustrating uploading and processing RAW images was going to be...<br>

I want to learn how to process the RAW photos now so that's one less thing she has to teach me. (yes she knows I don't know how) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. <br>

I've looked a bunch of forums up online, but they only have ones explaining how to convert them from Bridge to CS4 or 5, and it seems to be completely different. I can't quite afford CS5 yet, so I'm hoping there is a way to convert the files with photoshop elements.<br>

I just want to be able to view the RAW photo full screen in bridge, and also be able to do color corrections (which it's not allowing me to do right now with the RAW file) and also be able to burn them to a disc.<br>

Thanks, and sorry I'm clueless but i'm learning! </p>

<p>What camera?</p>

<p>I would recommend perhaps downloading the DNG converter from Adobe. Then you can take dng files into just about any Adobe photo app back about 5 years.</p>

<p>Also ViewNX will let you open and convert to tiff or something.</p>

<p>That said, the photographer you are working with may have a specific workflow. You'll learn it with them. If they are a class act, they will want to teach you everything about that you can learn.</p>

<p>I have a D5000. I tried using the DNG converter, but when I upload my pics into Bridge it says: "your photos have been successfully uploaded however there was an error when converting to DNG"<br>

I finally figured out how to choose all the photos and it actually lets me "save all" if I double click on the group chosen...so that is better than doing each photo individually!<br>

I'm just really confused: So now in my folder I have one of each of a dng file, and the raw file. My question is, when I start to do my edits I do the edits on the dng file, and just leave the RAW file as is for "just incase?" I'm just not sure if any information is lost when I convert the photos to DNG's or JPG's from the raw file. <br>

I did however see a difference in the quality of the photos when taken in RAW and I am very excited about that!<br>

Eek. Thanks for your information!</p>

<p>Amanda get and read this book:<br>

"Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CSx" - x is the version of PS.<br>

<br /><br>

Get the current version to be up to date or get an older used one to save some money.<br>

Amazon might be a good source for the book. Any larger bookstore should also have it in stock.<br>

<br /><br>

It will give you all you need to know about RAW conversion in the best way.<br>

Looking up internet fora is not a bad idea but this cannot replace a good book.<br>

<br /><br>

<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p>You didn't mention what operating system you are using, Apple OSX (Mac) or Microsoft Windows. If it Windows all you need to do is go to Nikon's website and download their "codec" and install it on your workstation. A codec is the software that allows the operation system to supply the image file to your image processing program. The Nikon codec actually allow just about any program running in Windows to use RAW files. You will find the latest version to download at http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/<br /><br />Think of the RAW files as what we use to call the camera original (negative) and the JPEG or TIFF file as the print. When you edit the RAW file the process it is just the same as the JPEG except for one difference. When you save a JPEG file the old file is over written, when you save a RAW file the codec knows to append the changes to old file. Enjoy your internship. I’ve been making images for over forty years and it never seems to get old.<br /><br />Ken<br /><br /></p>

<p>Bridge-PE8 should work about like Bridge-CS4 or CS5. Get the 6.2 camera raw (if it supports your camera) and install it. You have to do a manual install but they give you step-by-step instructions. I think there is also a Beta version of 6.3 available for downloading but it may be more of a challenge to install it. Once Bridge moves all your files to your hard disk, PE8 can do batch conversion to JPG files for you or you can go through and do individual conversions if you prefer.</p>

<p>My suggestion (if your wallet can take a hit) would be to grab a copy of LightRoom and start learning that. It seems much faster than Elements or CS5 for going through a bunch of files and the more proficient you get with it the less you will find yourself going to Elements for its selection and levels tools.</p>

<p>Since you're shooting a Nikon camera, I'd highly recommend getting Capture NX2 fior RAW processing.<br>

It's RAW converter engine is specifically designed for the NEF that your Nikon produces when shooting RAW. I've not seen another converter that comes close to NX2 when working with Nikon NEF's.</p>

<p>It is then just a simple matter to export it to PSE 8 as a tiff for any further editing you feel is necessary. </p>

<p>You write you have Photoshop Elements 8. It uses exactly the same version of Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) as PS CS5 (I have both). You may have to update ACR which you get here:<br>

<a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4810">http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4810</a><br>

Look in the Readme file <a href="http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_6.2_ReadMe.pdf">http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_6.2_ReadMe.pdf</a><br>

scroll down and follow the instructions for installing in Photoshop Elements 8.</p>

<p>Start Photoshop Elements and open a RAW file. It will open in Adobe Camera RAW - the same ACR that CS5 uses with the same controls and features. </p>

<p>Martin Evening's Book "Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers" has a wonderful and long chapter on using ACR. I highly recommend the book <br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS5-Photographers-professional/dp/0240522001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288407487&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS5-Photographers-professional/dp/0240522001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288407487&sr=8-1</a><br>

</p>

<p>If the previous does not work for you, : The new ViewNX 2 from Nikon ( free for download) also converts to most formats, including JPEG. And you can do basic RAW "development and Adjustment"with this, gving you usefule input for Elements to process further...</p>

<p>Amanda,<br>

All the information given is surely good, but what I would do is go and talk to your mentor. She will guide you with what she uses or a good alternative to it. This way as you go along she will be able to assist you easily. No reason for your mentor to learn something new, just follow her advice and you will be up and running in no time at all.<br>

What will start to happen shortly is this will start to come together and at that point you will be able to figure out most of it by your self.<br>

If still in school take advantage of discounts that are available to you.<br>

You have a big advantage by having a mentor, just take one step at a time by following her lead in all matters.<br>

Hope that this helps & Good Luck, <br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the advice. Photo.net is so helpful. I can't wait to start my internship, I guess I'm just gitty and want to get a good head start on computer processing. I get frustrated when I cant figure it out.<br>

I will try everything you've all advised, and if I still can't get it, I'll wait until I start with my mentor.<br>

Thanks again:)!<br>

Best wishes! </p>

<p>some terrific advice for you here Amanda. I'd just like to add one thing of little consequence........."raw" is not a file format like JPEG or TIFF, it is just a file in its raw state. I'm not sure just why a lot of people spell it in capital letters, but I guess that can add to common misconception.</p>

<p>Ty well a raw file is not an uncooked file but a file of raw data. So in a sense a raw file does not make more sense than a RAW file.</p>

<p>I agree with you that RAW is not a file format and raw files can be in a number of different file formats. Good point to mention this. E.g. the Nikon files that contain raw data from a Nikon camera are stored in the file format of *.nef files. So NEF files are in the file format that Nikon uses for (more or less unprocessed) raw data from Nikon cameras.</p>

<p>So I hope we do not confuse Amanda by typing RAW instead of "files that contain raw data". The file is not really in a raw, perhaps uncooked or in some other way unfinished file.</p>

<p>Please Ty do not take this too serious just another try to prevent confusion like you already did. I guess i am just as lazy typing as many others are using RAW to describe raw image data obtained from a camera body with almost no processing.<br>

Now did I confuse more or less? :-)</p>