problem acquiring images from 5D using zoombrowser. Please Help!

ward

Hello All--

When I try to get zoombrowser to move images from the 5D to my computer, it says the camera powered down due to

low battery. First I put in a fresh battery, and it did the same thing. At that point I noticed that the camera

wasn't actually powering down at all.

When I plugged in the USB cable, the camera was recognized and the software started automatically.

I reinstalled my XP home a month ago and reinstalled all the canon software at that time. Everything seems to

work fine but this is the first time I tried to acquire any images.

Any suggestions?

--Ward

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly, but it sounds that you are trying to use Zoombrowser to move the images. I don't believe Zoombrowser is meant for this. Zoombrowser is meant for minor photo editing and printing. Separate utility software from Canon is intended for file transfers. I believe it's called "Viewer Utility" or "EOS Viewer Utility". I have found it to be a pain in the ass, so I prefer as Puppyface above has suggested. I use a CF card reader ... actually a CF PCMCIA card in my notebook. I could be wrong about Zoombrowser, but I don't think so.

You're right. A downloading program opens first in a small window, it's called "Camera Window" or something like that. You

can set preferences for file names, folder destination, manually pick files, etc. Once the files are onboard they

automatically open in Zoombrowser/Imagebrowser. It also appears when a Canon CF card is detected. You can ignore and/or disable it and

drag 'n drop the files manually. It's faster that way.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

With my 5D the EOS Utility automatically opens and gives me 4 choises, 1 start to download images

2 lets you select and download images 3 camera settings and remotes shooting 4 monitor folder. I always click the first choise when its done the Zoombrowser opens to let me see them. I never use Zoombrowser for editing. I always use Digital Photo Professional, enless I want to resize it, then I use Paint Shop Pro 10.

The latest version of the EOS Utility is quite fast downloading (set communications to PC connect). If you use both the CF

reader and download direct from the camera remember they use separate file sequencing in the preferences, so unless you

want duplicate names, you have to set it manually when switching.

My technique; I have a Mac, but most of this should work for PCs. I use a Firewire card reader. I open a new file on the desktop, and name it. I load the flashcard, and click off any default programs that may appear. I open the card icon, then select and drag all pics to the new file. I have found that this is so much faster than anything else. Also helps me follow transport easily. Card readers are $10-50, depending.

Not fond of ZB in the least. DPP (Digital Photo Professional) isn't bad, but I must echo everyone above

and scream...GET A CARD READER. They're cheap and personally, I think the ONLY way to go.

If you're editing on a budget: Picasa. Better results of course with PS Elements 6. It doesn't have quite the status of CS, but then it doesn't have a price to match--and it does work nicely. Just a

thought (or two)

While I'm using card reader exclusively, everytime I do it, I always think what I read (I think it was from this site) that frequent inserting the CF may run a risk of damaging the pins insite of the camera. May be it's a good idea to take pain to use USB.

Quote^While I'm using card reader exclusively, everytime I do it, I always think what I read (I think it was from this site) that frequent inserting the CF may run a risk of damaging the pins insite of the camera. May be it's a good idea to take pain to use USB.

I think people worry too much about these cameras. They are built tough and unless you are extremely rough or unattentive to what you are doing, you won't hurt them. Especially by removing and replacing the CF card. Get a card reader and save yourself!

Derrick

You can Download the Zoom Browser as many times as you want to. If you think you have a corrupted version got to the canon website. They might have a version there. Mines works fine and it's a lot better than the older version that came out 4 years ago which was absolutely Horrible.