Posting business party Picture will violate privacy ?

hoi_kwong

<p>I took exhibition cocktail picture and video in a jewelry shop. I'm hired by the owner to do this job particular for this event. <br>

However, the owner is hesitate if he is able to post this video on Youtube and company's website without written consent from all 100+ guests. All his guests were by invitation for new product launch event. <br>

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Any advice ? </p>

<p>Next round the intended media coverage should be mentioned in the invitation, to make the deal (our drinks for your consent) clear.<br>

IANL, but I am with your shopkeeper that faces might dislike being published as jewelry aficionados.</p>

<p>Cash the check and say, "Thank you." Don't know the Canadian laws that might apply but in the US, states typically cover the use of a person's image commercially - as in endorsing businesses, goods, services, etc., as either a a part of the privacy laws or as "right of publicity" or similar language. You might try searching those terms for Canada. That would give you the basic legal position. As you can see, backing into legal coverage might be harder than planning for it in advance and having attendees properly "released" before shooting the event. If Canada does not have similar provisions and not all countries do, it still might be a questionable business move if customers are surprised by use in publicity/advertisements.</p>