Point and Shoot with manual controls.

Discussion in 'Modern Film Cameras' started by josephlockley1, Dec 11, 2020.

1. I use the RC. I don't need battery. The camera works without battery.

] and bobbudding like this.
  2. Yes, the RC/RD will work without batteries in manual mode with no metering. The OP, however, wants aperture priority, so batteries would be required.

3. But the RC, Like many compact fixed lens rangefinders of its time is shutter priority and not aperture priority. I personally like the Olympus XA and its aperture priority is OK but I would prefer if it's manual. When new the rangefinder is good but most of the used ones have faded rangefinder patch. One thing I dislike the XA is actually flash. You can't use any other flash besides the A11 or A16 and you have 1 aperture of f/3.5. If the shutter can be fixed at 1/60 or so and I can choose the aperture from f/2,8 to f/16 and use another flash it would be great. I can do that with the RC but not the XA.

] and bobbudding like this.
  4. Yes, getting the right aperture with shutter priority may require a quick fiddle to check aperture chosen for the selected shutter speed. I've never found it to be much of a hinderance on my RD. Besides - in many conditions I can estimate aperture with variations on sunny 16. Or I pull out the light meter app on my phone for a quick read so that I can set the shutter speed that gets me the aperture that I want.

The bigger problem is that my 24 year old son has taken a liking to my RD, so it's no longer in my possession. But don't feel bad - I kept him away from my Nikon SP!

5. ]

]

Yes, zone focusing is just that. Does work better from f8 through the smaller f stops.

6. I was merely pointing out that any manual camera can be used as point and shoot if one knows how to use fundamental features.

7. If compactness is not an issue, I would suggest the Minolta HiMatic 7S. In auto mode it offers programmed auto exposure. Or the aperture and shutter may be set independently. Not compact, but easy to use. If aperture priority rather than program is more important then either the Yashica MG-1 or GSN deliver with shutter ranging from a few seconds to 1/500 second. No real manual override, however, if the batteries are removed the shutter will operate a 1/500 second and the apertures can still be set. So it could be called a sort of limited manual operation,

8. Maybe the Contax T, T2 or T3 come close to what you want.