OROW N 74 plus

larrydressler

<p>I am about to start testing this film as I went and got myself 400 feet of fresh stuff. I know I will most likely be shooting blanks at first with Diafine, Rodinal and Xtol to check true speed and other things like grain. It says it is ISO 400 but in the PDF it says to process like Eastman 5222. So I will have to see. I find I am hedging my bets for B&W film these days.<br>

Let me know if any of you are ahead of me on testing and the results.</p>

<p> Thanks Much Larry</p>

<p>I looked at the ISO 100 and the PDF looks like a single coated or an updated version of FOMA or EFKE. where the Faster is a multi emulsion film RMS was 16 for the fast and 12 for the slow.. but what caught my eye was that these are set in D-96 for the test. D-96 is an aggressive version of D-76.</p>

<p>Larry: Tom Abrahamsson over on Rangefinder Forum has many posts about this film and info on various developers. He is one of those who shoots multiple 100' rolls of film per week.<br>

<a href="http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52426">This</a> should take you to the lengthy thread. If not the thread, with over 1,000 posts is named <strong>Shooting Eastman (Double-X) 5222 in the Leica </strong>but has morphed into a ORWO N74 thread.<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p><strong>JDM, Larry</strong>, I have bought the ORWO UN54, several rolls. It is available in 1000, 400 and 100 feet rolls. I like the film [rated ASA 100] for its fairly wide lattitude. It has a thicker emulsion that can take a second exposure for making positive slides. I think that it is certainly better than the old Agfa or ORWO 15, 22 series. Develops well with Microdol, Beutler and D-76 like developers in my experience.<br>

Compared with the Ultrafine 100 film from the US my impressions are as below: <strong>(1)</strong> Ultrafine 100 develops a better contrast quicker; <strong>(2)</strong> ORWO UN54 has a greater tolerance and latitude that I feel free to make more mistakes in development time and the like. That is from my very limited experience. I would appreciate your assessment, <strong>Larry</strong>. Thanks. <strong>I have not tried the N74</strong>. sp.</p>