No new full frame DSLR announced today - going to Nikon?

bob_peters

I'm a dedicated Canon user, love my 5D's (two of them) but they've been so

abused I'm about 3 months away from needing to change at least one of them.

What I need is a full frame DSLR, but I don't want to buy another 5D because

the high ISO performance, while good, is behind the times. And the lack of

weather sealing, most importantly, is proving a hinderance to my shooting.

I can get 2 D3's for the price of a 1dsmk3, the only Canon camera that is full

frame and weather sealed currently being produced. I can trade in my lenses and

get comparable Nikon glass. Canon's failure to do produce a sub 3k (uk pounds)

full frame camera with weather sealing, despite an obvous market for it, is

making my decision seem not just inevitable, but a no brainer.

Can anyone give me a reason not to jump ship and go Nikon? Anyone done it and

regret it?

If these are all the new products they announce this time, then it will indeed be a major disappointment, but I would never consider switching for that reason - it is only a matter of time until Canon leaps ahead of Nikon and then what will you do - switch again? All you'd do is chase the latest and greatest gadgets and lose money every time you do it.

Having said all that, I feel your pain and frustration!

I can't see any point in keeping jumping from one manufacture to another just because one is a few months ahead of a the other product announcement, Nikon are still several years behind in sensor technology as far as I can see in most areas. It seems unlikely the 5D replacement will be launched in the same quarter as the 1Ds MkIII, that would be very strange marketing from a corporate standpoint.

As for the logic of selling up to move to Nikon, you need to look at the whole system replacement cost, ie bodies and lenses, high end Nikon lenses seem to be more expensive.

"however did a quick review of the Nikon lenses and got very confused to determine which of them are comparable "L" quality lenses"

Yes I had the same issues with the Nikon line when moving from Canon FD to digital, I was in fact favoring Nikon, but I found the lens line-up and what lenses where compatible with what bodies in what modes a nightmare. Also I never found Nikon published MTF charts, so assessing relative lens quality was more difficult.

<i>Maybe I'm just wishful, but isn't it too early to be certain Canon isn't announcing anything? PMA isn't over yet, after all?</i><p>

Look at the front page of dpreview.com Canon just announced a bunch of new point and shoots, a Rebel upgrade, and new printers. Most companies announce all the new products on one day. You'll see the big grouping of new Pentax and Fuji announcements as well. Canon did not announce a 5D upgrade. It is extremely unlikely they will announce one in the next week.

Swapping systems seems like a lot of work to be for the benefit. If the 5D works well enough, you can buy one now, sell it and buy the 6D or whatever it will be called when it comes it (soon, we all hope!). If you have more than a few lenses, the loss on the 5D will be smaller than the loss from swapping out lenses.

[[What I need is a full frame DSLR, but I don't want to buy another 5D because the high ISO performance, while good, is behind the times]]

If the 5D ISO performance is not meeting your needs, why are you using 2 of them?

You don't need Nikon, you need a sense of perspective.

I bought and tried the D3, and returned it and kept my 5D (I use both Nikon and Canon).

I prefer the features of the D3 but prefer the IQ of the 5D. Up to ISO 3200, I found no advantage to the D3 (after post processing).

For the type of shooting I do, I will 'settle' for the 5D for quite a while.

I suspect the 5Dn or whatever was not released now is because Canon needs a DSLR to introduce in September. Nothing else in the product line is needing replacement at the moment. Of course there could be a lite version of the 450D/DRebel at a lower price to capture the bottom feeders but otherwise the rest of the line is fairly new.

Nikon and Canon are both great Camera and lens manufactures. They must make a profit to stay in business. Their competition is good for

us. Sit back and enjoy the show. Occasionally grab the lens or camera best for you. Keep shooting and try to improve your photographic skills. There will always be new products to tempt you. The question for you is--Is it about the equipment or the photograph?--

"Can anyone give me a reason not to jump ship and go Nikon? Anyone done it and regret it?"

I went from 28 years with Nikon film to Canon digital because Nikon did not want to go FX and that left me with a then $2200 17-35/2.8 being useless at 17mm. Canon had 2 full-frame DSLR's. The rebates kicked in for the 5D in June 2006. Having tested a friends 5D and L glass (16-35/2.8, 17-40/4 and 70-200/4), I was convinced that the L glass was superior.

Like some of the other responses, you go with the tool that works for you within your tax bracket.

It is a well known fact of human psychology that people will feel worse about something they have (say, a 5D) once they find out about something better (say, a 5D II), even if they were perfectly happy with what they had all along. We measure our happiness largely in relative terms, not absolute.

But this is the first I've heard of someone feeling worse about what they have because of something that DOESN'T exist.

One could get a new 5D below $1600 before 12th when the 5D body + Pro9000 rebates expired.

Mine costed me $1362:

Bought 5D+24-105 $2606 and Pro9000 $404 (S/H and Tax free!)

Sold 24-105 $850, Pro9000 $298

Canon rebate: $400 (body+Printer bundle) + $100 (Printer alone)