Nikon FM or FE

Hello

I am trying to make a decision on which to keep I have both, garage sales, the FM meter functions and is in great condition, the FE will need the meter repaired, other than that it also is in great condition.

I like the fact that the FM is all mechanical and will function without a battery.

I worry about the electronics on an older camera that must have a battery like the FE.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if there is someone who can repair the FE meter that anyone would recommend, that is reasonable, I am in California so anywhere in US please.

Thanks

Don

I would have chosen the FE if it was working - the battery last for a year or more - how long does your smartphone last on a charge ;-)

If it doesn't work, it is another matter - then I would go for the working FM.

Competent repair comes at a price. I don't know about the US, but few would open up and work on a camera for less than $200 in EU, add to that shipping etc. The FE is an excellent camera but I am not sure I would throw that much money at a repair. Had it been a FE2 I may have thought differently.

Some of our US members will hopefully comment - maybe I am completely wrong.

BTW have you carefully cleaned out the battery compartment of the FE and exercised shutter, aperture and ISO scales?

Niels

While I haven't used the personally APS in Morton Grove, Illinois has a good reputation. My experience has been with the FM2n and it is my favorite camera. I personally like all mechanical cameras because I don't trust aging electronics, and parts availability.
  • Like 1

The sad fact is that both are disposable cameras without repair resources. My tactic 10+ years ago was buying 2 of a camera I liked in the best shape available. That's less of an option now, though. Still you're looking at 40+ year-old bodies here. Nikon electronics on the FE are tough. Comparable Minoltas like the X-700 suffered chronic fatal parts failures. In 2022, it's just not wise to put much money or trust in film bodies of that vintage. Much of what I see friends turning up with(FM, FE, FE2. Nikkormats)are very rough, shot-to-death examples not IMHO worth fixing if/when they conk out.

Both cameras if working are very similar in use. The only reason to prefer the FE would be the availability of auto exposure, surely not as desirable nowadays as it once was. I recently sold an FE with non working electrics, but otherwise fine, for £28.

There are also electronics in the FM of course.

Keep the worker, ditch the FE.

Replacing the meter makes the FE BER (Beyond Economic Repair).

But both bodies are probably in need of an overhaul. The foam light seals around the mirror/focussing screen will have deteriorated if not already replaced. Shortly they'll crumble and start shedding crumbs of sticky goo all over the place. Replacing the foam is a '101' level DIY job, but tedious.

Personally, I'd just get an ugly F-801s (N8008s) which has a non-foam labyrinth light-trap for the back, and being newer is likely to have mirror-foam in a much better condition. The viewfinder is easier to see as well. It has almost no 'street cred', but are you wanting to take pictures, or be seen to be using film? And if the latter, does it matter if the camera's even working?

I always loved the look and feel of my FM. Because I wasn't shooting film anymore, it went out in The Great Cleanout. If it works, that would be the one I'd keep. The FG is a very underappreciated body, small and gets the job done. Also, totally disposable if it fails.

I believe the FM can use both AI and non-AI lenses if that's useful. I have the FE-2 and Nikkormat FT-3 which works for me.

Hey, I also have an FE2 and FT3.

The FT3 is like Nikon's practice for the FM. Similar in many ways.

-- glen

You say that the FE meter doesn't work, not that autoexposure doesn't work.

As far as I know they are separate, such that one could work and not the other.

Actually, my FE2 meter doesn't work. Specifically, it reads two stops off.

I am not sure if autoexposure uses the right or wrong value.

If the FE works in autoexposure, but the meter says the wrong thing, you might keep it.

-- glen

Hello

I am trying to make a decision on which to keep I have both, garage sales, the FM meter functions and is in great condition, the FE will need the meter repaired, other than that it also is in great condition.

I like the fact that the FM is all mechanical and will function without a battery.

I worry about the electronics on an older camera that must have a battery like the FE.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if there is someone who can repair the FE meter that anyone would recommend, that is reasonable, I am in California so anywhere in US please.

Thanks

Don

I love both cameras when working right. But favor the FM by a bit, and also the FM is all mechanical which also for me is bonus points. I love the FE very well, too. Sover Wong might be able to repair your FE.

The FE is the better camera unless you want to believe, as sheep in the flock, that it is less reliable "because it is electronic".

Both the FM and the FE have some reliability problems that are more mechanical in nature. But they won't happen if the camera receives proper periodic manteinance.

If the FE was working 100% i would pick that one. So, go for the FM if this is what you can get fully working. I love my FE.