Nikon D7000 problem

hunter_kosic

<p>I need some advice - insight? To the problem I am having.<br /><br />Got swindled on a <a href="http://nikonites.com/products/dslr-3/d7000-99/" target="_blank">D7000</a> when the sellers "Peach_photo" on ebay sold me a camera and did not let me know that it was a grey market cam. Meaning there is no manufacturer warranty for me at all and no help in case there was a problem.<br /><br />Lesson learned.<br /><br />Now, the camera issue I am having is quite strange. Very noisy video and pictures, even when at ISO 100-640 1080p at 24 fps shooting in a nice shade from trees in a sunset setting with plenty of light.<br /><br />Does not matter what the setting was, if there was share at all, there is tons of noise in the image.<br /><br />Even in light the colors and fine details are lost to the noise and the seemingly slightly off focus.<br /><br />Looking for someone that could perhaps have an idea what I am dealing with here.<br /><br />Here is one sample that I uploaded to Youtube.<br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdrQcAVvi4&feature=youtu.be" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><br /></a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdrQcAVvi4&feature=youtu.be" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdr...ature=youtu.be</a><br /><br />Here is the second test, look at the growth on the rocks. Almost looks like they are blotched together you cannot see individual detail like it really was.<br /><br /><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13WOzHCqfV0&feature=youtu.be" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13WO...ature=youtu.be</a><br /><br />Keep in mind, these are completely unaltered straight from the camera.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Read more: <a href="http://nikonites.com/d7000/26521-help-d7000.html#ixzz3HgiA1YTO">http://nikonites.com/d7000/26521-help-d7000.html#ixzz3HgiA1YTO</a></p>

<p>I don't see what you are concerned about. The clips you posted seem OK to me. I am not a video person but they seem to be accurate. <br>

Why don't you post some photos taken at ISO 200 and leave the meta data on them. Nice easy shots so we can look at them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd guess from clip one, The Fishes, you need a polarising filter to look 'through' the surface reflections.</p>

<p>The Splashy Rock clip would have been happier on a tripod, but I don't really see noise. I'm not on an HD screen at the mo' so there <em>may be</em> video artefacts, but that's not the same thing at-all. They're due to compression etc which isn't a fault just a fact of digital processing.</p>

<p>Moving, shiny water can really mess up the colour balance, exposure and even the focus of both video and stills.</p>

<p>I don't see any noise in the fish clip. There's some slight colour fringing due to water refraction, but that's nothing to do with the camera. You'll always see that effect when shooting through water.<br /> A polarising filter would certainly have helped though.</p>

<p>WRT the "moss on rocks" shot: Did some splashes of water settle on the lens or filter by any chance? Watching the strands of moss; they seem to jump in and out of focus, as if water droplets might be passing in front of them. There is a small amount of time when some strands of moss are perfectly defined, and then in the next instant they're blurred. It looks to me as if some water settled on the lens, taking away its sharpness in that area. Although maybe the focus shifted a little during the shot as well. Not the camera's fault IMHO, and again no sign of noise.</p>

<p>Remember also, that depth-of-field with a DSLR is much more limited than with a small-sensor video-camera. You can't expect everything to be pin sharp from right in front of the lens to infinity.</p>

<p>Edit. Just seen your "crash gardening" video. The grey looking skin is due to a strong blue colour cast, and could easily be corrected by using a custom White Balance, or maybe the shade WB setting. No noise in evidence there either.</p>

<p>Both of those clips are perfectly fine, at least not any problems with the camera that I can see. With the waterfall, did you mean to focus on the moss rather than the water? <br /><br />In his e-book manual, Thom Hogan says the D7000 isn't really a true video camera but a camera that records what appears during live view on the LCD. I'd have to go pull it out but I believe he said it does not record everything the chip has to offer, just the way it shows up on the LCD, as opposed to other DSLRs with video that record directly from the chip. But I still think the clips you posted look fine as far the camera goes.<br /><br /></p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your kind replies to the thread.<br>

I know it is grey market cause I called the people that sold it to me and they said it was. After I bought it...<br>

The mossy rock - I set this on manual, and there was no water on the lens or camera or even fog.<br>

Only thing that it could be is just me rocking back and forth slightly, but even where the focus point was, it seems terribly out of focus no matter how I shot it.<br>

Perhaps it is just me, but for straight footage untouched from the camera I expected alot better from the D7000.<br>

Am I being too picky, or does the D7000 really not give good video? I do not like photography as much as I like taking videos. So let me know what you guys think of that.<br>

Thanks again for all of the answers.</p>

<p>In fairness to the seller. I just quickly glanced at his ad for D7000 on Ebay and see no mention that the item is US or Gray Market. He does offer a 7 day return which you obviously decided not to use. The term "swindled" is unfortunate but there are many of us who would always recommend using a dealer like B & H or Adorama both of which have excellent reputations. That said I would note that your dealer has excellent feedback.<br>

It seems you went off a bit half-cocked and did not explore your options.</p>

<p>[[Only thing that it could be is just me rocking back and forth slightly, but even where the focus point was, it seems terribly out of focus no matter how I shot it.<br /> Perhaps it is just me, but for straight footage untouched from the camera I expected alot better from the D7000.]]</p>

<p>How much experience do you have shooting video with a DSLR. How much experience do you have shooting any video? </p>

<p>From the D7000 manual when referring to video options, p 313 - "Choice of normal and high quality available."</p>

<p>I presume you've selected high quality in the menu, Hunter? This menu option is easy to miss, because there's only a passing reference to it in the movie settings section of the instruction book on p 60.</p>

<p>The videos look bad, but I don't think it's the camera. Put the camera on a tripod, manually focus, set the WB, and use manual exposure settings. I never found the D7000 video great, but if you set things up correctly you will find it much better than what you shot. I forget, but I think the D7000 also defaults the bitrate down to a low value. Change this to the highest it offers and you will get rid a lot of the artifacts.</p>

<p>If you were looking to purchase a device to record video, why did you not simply purchase a device to record video? Personally asking one device to do different purposes is IMO asking for problems.<br>

And too, a used D7000 is not going to break the bank. If you were looking for a cheap alternative to a retail purchase you have it now. So flog it on the a local internet swap shop, lick your wounds and move on. Life is too short to complain over spilt milk, whatever the flavour!</p>

<p>I could not return the item as it was shipped to me while I was overseas.<br>

It took more than seven days just to arrive.<br>

Yes I have shot video and yes I have some experience getting great results with DSLR's<br>

As a matter of fact I previously owned a D5000 and the quality I could get out of shooting manual with that was wonderful for me. <br>

The reason I don't have a camcorder is because I like making not only videos but stop motion videos as well, and I can get much better results with that than a camcorder.<br>

It had great detail and was sharp just like I was looking for, in video and in photos. It was even a refurb!<br>

Also I have no option for setting a bitrate? I just set the movie mode to highest quality.<br>

Thanks for the replies still on the fence if I should chuck it and move on.</p>

<p>The camera seems fine which only leaves you as the likely source of the problem. You shouldn't expect more from a D7000 as no camera can compensate for poor technique. The rocking back, and forth seems like a good possibility, but you should experiment some more to nail the cause down absolutely. Chances are the camera is fine. Good Luck. ;)</p>

<p>mm HArd to Judge,<br /> - you cannot Judge video's from YouTube because the way this looks leans also heavely on the connection quality.</p>

<p>- The only plac i find anything about settings is on the other post for which you provided a link, and there is something about mall manual and iso 1000 .</p>

<p>- The water movie needs a polrizer,<br /> - No mention about aperture used on the rocks video , but it looks like it is shot at F2.8 which does not allow for a DOF when shooting fully manual and not using a tripod ( hence the rocking back and forth ) and since you say its fully manual you would have to compensate every movement by manual foccussing whicj clearly did not happen.</p>

<p>- Advice : Put the camera on a tripod, fix the ISO at somewhere under iso 640 , set an aperture at f/4.0 or F/5.6 using a normal or light tele lens and re-shoot the movie of the rocks, while setting focus properly on beforehand using lifeview on the edge of the stream and the rocks. Make sure to have enough Distance for a decent DOF ( so not to far away but also not to close)<br /> Then post the result <em>and the accompanying settings & lens info ....</em><br /> And : Red the manual on how set a good quality</p>