Nikon D700, $300 Rebate

ShunCheung

It looks like Nikon USA is running a $300 rebate on the D700. With the rebate, I have seen prices as low as $2400 at

some stores (I can only assume that is a Nikon USA model). For example, Costco is showing $2450 for now:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11303803&search=nikon%20D700

I haven't been able to find any rebate info directly from Nikon USA yet, e.g. what else are on the rebate program.

If you are about to buy a D700, I'd say wait another day or two to find out what is going on. Hopefully this is not a

false alarm.

P.S. Please don't ask me why Costco is also recommending the 55-200mm DX lens on that same page with the D700.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is there a $2200 difference between a new D700 and a used D50...." It was most difficult to get the D50 up to ISO 4,000, let alone ISO 5,000 or ISO 6,400. If one needs the higher ISO levels to shoot action sports without a flash, then, yes, a D700 (or a D3) may work a little better.

This is just the start of the Holiday shopping season. The shopping season, coupled with the market availability of the Canon 5DMkII and the Sony A900 will push the D700 lower. I would expect price to continue to drop until January 2009.

I expect the D300 to drop also.

<i> If Nikon could sell it for more does it make any sense to sell it for less?</i>

<p>

To increase market share?

<p>

When I said "value", I meant its value for a photographer, not the public's perception of its value. Perhaps I

should have said "value to me". I paid 2500€ for mine, and feel I got a great bargain.

<p>

Nikon may have reduced the price of the D700 to match the upcoming 5D Mk II's price. The D700 has many features

(such as Nikon's top-of-the-line autofocus, a viewfinder which can be used with eyeglasses and so on) the 5D Mk

II does not, but often people make purchases based on price and pixel count.

<p>

While I often speak in favour of large sensors and large pixels, I don't have any objection to Nikon making a 24

MP version of the D700. I don't think they should have to, as the current model works very well with a wide

variety of glass, across a wide variety of apertures, and has excellent image quality, yet its files are small

enough to be make the post-processing of large volumes of images reasonable. However, a lot of people with $2500

might not actually be able to understand this. They'll soon be ponying up another $2500 to get a PC which can

handle the 5D Mk II/A900 raw files, I am afraid, and then complain about the poor quality of their lenses

compared to the sensor. It's a lot more expensive to get 21-24 million pixels worth of real detail, and put that

into practice with large volumes of pictures, than what the price of the camera would suggest. I 3-4 years, I'll

be happily using a high res FX camera, but right now I staying away from that game.

"I mean, a camera is worth whatever people are willing to pay for. If Nikon could sell it for more does it make any sense to sell it for less?"

In the recent past, Nikon has gone to a "rebate" to reduce inventory in expectation of a "new" model soon to be on the marketplace. Sony has a 20+ megapixel body; Sony makes the sensor chip-set for Nikon; and if one were to guess, the next Nikon to be on the market will be more than 12 megapixel but less than 30 megapixel in resolution.

Ilkka is so right.

Current best UK price I can find is GBP 1550 but of course that includes tax at 17.5% so that gives

us about GBP 1278 or so. At a rough calculation that makes it here just under $2000 plus tax of $350.

About the same.

It is interesting that shops will now talk deals on anything. I think this is more the economic situation than anything else.Maybe we should all hold fire. They are not going to go up but who knows with the currency markets. New model - who knows.