Nikon D700, $300 Rebate

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by shuncheung, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

It looks like Nikon USA is running a $300 rebate on the D700. With the rebate, I have seen prices as low as $2400 at
    some stores (I can only assume that is a Nikon USA model). For example, Costco is showing $2450 for now:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11303803&search=nikon%20D700

I haven't been able to find any rebate info directly from Nikon USA yet, e.g. what else are on the rebate program.

If you are about to buy a D700, I'd say wait another day or two to find out what is going on. Hopefully this is not a
    false alarm.

P.S. Please don't ask me why Costco is also recommending the 55-200mm DX lens on that same page with the D700.

2. Thanks. I am going to the camera store tomorrow to try a D700 and make a few comparison shots. The purpose of the trip is to pick up a repair.

3. The Costco price is now $2699 after the $300 rebate - what happened?

4. Bad economy or a new model? Hmm.

5. It's currently $2,520 on Amazon.

6. ...KEH (in Atlanta) is @ $2,759.00, but no mention of a $300.00 rebate.

7. Is there a $2200 difference between a new D700 and a used D50 for the amateur photographer? If I made my $$ shooting action sports, this would be my camera.

8. [the silly site the photonet filter won't allow reference to] show a $300 instant rebate on the D700 running from 10/23 through 11/22.

At B&H, that would put the price at $2,399.95.

Hmmm...

9. "Is there a $2200 difference between a new D700 and a used D50...." It was most difficult to get the D50 up to ISO 4,000, let alone ISO 5,000 or ISO 6,400. If one needs the higher ISO levels to shoot action sports without a flash, then, yes, a D700 (or a D3) may work a little better.

10. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I still see the $2450 price at Costco, but you need to add it to the shopping cart before you see the low price.

11. Tempting, but I will wait until Nikon releases the D700x, with 24 megapixels. THAT is one camera I'll pay $2500 for!

12. the whole point of owning a d700 is the CURRENT pixel count dave

13. "the whole point of owning a d700 is the CURRENT pixel count" - precisely Jon - 12MP full frame - it's a beautiful thing...........

14. This is just the start of the Holiday shopping season. The shopping season, coupled with the market availability of the Canon 5DMkII and the Sony A900 will push the D700 lower. I would expect price to continue to drop until January 2009.

I expect the D300 to drop also.

15. erik_christensen|3

erik_christensen|3 Self-employed

the price for D700 has been USD 2,430 and USD 2,450 respectively during the last 3 weeks in Ho Chi Minh City!!

16. Nikon should offer more rebate than just 300 USD since the Dollar is so cheap these days! Maybe on 11/23 the rebate will
    become 500 USD! :)

So!? Shun... will you tell us why Costco is also recommending the 55-200mm DX lens on that same page with the D700 or
    we have to guess? :)

17. Well, that rebate thing seems to be worldwide. D700 in Japan is being sold for 269,800 Yen minus 30,000 Yen cash back.
    But at 95 Yen per Dollar the rebate is bigger here! Then Again, the price of the camera is higher! Ah! You can't never win
    them all! :)

18. the whole point of owning a d700 is the CURRENT pixel count
    I couldn't have said it better. Frankly, it's worth a lot more than $2500.
    Things have been changing really fast in the past year.

19. "it's worth a lot more than $2500"

How on earth did you figure that professor?

I mean, a camera is worth whatever people are willing to pay for. If Nikon could sell it for more does it make any sense to sell it for less?

20. If Nikon could sell it for more does it make any sense to sell it for less?
    To increase market share?
    When I said "value", I meant its value for a photographer, not the public's perception of its value. Perhaps I should have said "value to me". I paid 2500€ for mine, and feel I got a great bargain.
    Nikon may have reduced the price of the D700 to match the upcoming 5D Mk II's price. The D700 has many features (such as Nikon's top-of-the-line autofocus, a viewfinder which can be used with eyeglasses and so on) the 5D Mk II does not, but often people make purchases based on price and pixel count.
    While I often speak in favour of large sensors and large pixels, I don't have any objection to Nikon making a 24 MP version of the D700. I don't think they should have to, as the current model works very well with a wide variety of glass, across a wide variety of apertures, and has excellent image quality, yet its files are small enough to be make the post-processing of large volumes of images reasonable. However, a lot of people with $2500 might not actually be able to understand this. They'll soon be ponying up another $2500 to get a PC which can handle the 5D Mk II/A900 raw files, I am afraid, and then complain about the poor quality of their lenses compared to the sensor. It's a lot more expensive to get 21-24 million pixels worth of real detail, and put that into practice with large volumes of pictures, than what the price of the camera would suggest. I 3-4 years, I'll be happily using a high res FX camera, but right now I staying away from that game.

21. "I mean, a camera is worth whatever people are willing to pay for. If Nikon could sell it for more does it make any sense to sell it for less?"

In the recent past, Nikon has gone to a "rebate" to reduce inventory in expectation of a "new" model soon to be on the marketplace. Sony has a 20+ megapixel body; Sony makes the sensor chip-set for Nikon; and if one were to guess, the next Nikon to be on the market will be more than 12 megapixel but less than 30 megapixel in resolution.

22. I would have to question if such a high MP camera (20+) would have as good high ISO performance, regards to noise.

Kent in SD

23. Ilkka is so right.
    Current best UK price I can find is GBP 1550 but of course that includes tax at 17.5% so that gives
    us about GBP 1278 or so. At a rough calculation that makes it here just under $2000 plus tax of $350.
    About the same.
    It is interesting that shops will now talk deals on anything. I think this is more the economic situation than anything else.Maybe we should all hold fire. They are not going to go up but who knows with the currency markets. New model - who knows.

24. Nikon could simply scale up the D300 sensor to FX. It's high ISO performance is decent. I, myself, prefer the D700 sensor, but other folks have different needs.

25. Sony makes the sensor chip-set for Nikon;
    For the DX sensors Nikon has stated they are made by Sony. If Sony actually made Nikon's FX sensor I would think this would be publicly known, but it's not.

26. "the whole point of owning a d700 is the CURRENT pixel count"

Not to some others. For them it's the fullframe advantage...

If one only has DX lenses then I don't think he/she should move to D700 unless he/she wants to sell all the lens and upgrade to FF (Get D300 or wait for new DX camera)

27. Not to some others. For them it's the fullframe advantage...
    Right, full frame at 12 MP.
    If one only has DX lenses
    Obviously, FX shouldn't be used with DX lenses - defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

28. Wrong, the D700 does not deliver better image quality than the D300. I want to upgrade from my D300, not just get a full-frame version. The current pixel count of the D300 is identical to the D700.

I'll say it again. When Nikon releases the D700x (or D800) with 24 megapixels, I'll consider it for $2500. For me there is no such thing as a "full-frame advantage" as my DX lenses and MF primes do very well for me.

29. "I'll say it again. When Nikon releases the D700x (or D800) with 24 megapixels, I'll consider it for $2500. For me there is no such thing as a "full-frame advantage" as my DX lenses and MF primes do very well for me."

For you it is but for others who want ultra ultra wide like using the 14-24mm at 14mm range (or even wider lenses) then FF is the way to go (okay, you can step back and take the pic...).

"Wrong, the D700 does not deliver better image quality than the D300. I want to upgrade from my D300, not just get a full-frame version. The current pixel count of the D300 is identical to the D700."

Cleaner pics at high ISO is where D700 shines over D300. I think image quality is similar (as far as I can tell).

30. the D700 does not deliver better image quality than the D300.
    Generalizations like that aren't helpful.

31. "In the recent past, Nikon has gone to a "rebate" to reduce inventory in expectation of a "new" model soon to be
    on the marketplace"

Ever notice that at certain times of the year there are these 50-70% "Sales"? Nothing to do with reducing
    inventories, etc...

It's all a marketing game. Start with whatever you can get away with, then rebate, and then leak out "new model
    on the way".

Since we are all getting ahead of ourselves, I'm going to suggest that the next "Big" news from Nikon is going to
    be MX.

The only way that Nikon can truly leap-frog Canon is with something really daring.

32. The D700 just came out a few months ago. I wouldn't expect a replacement at least in a year, and that's probably first to
    the D3, and 6-12 months later, for the D700. I think MX is just fictitious as Nikon isn't able to keep their lens line even
    moderately up to date for DX and FX; creating an entirely new lens line is a strange thought.

33. Dave: the D700 does not deliver better image quality than the D300.

Ilkka: Generalizations like that aren't helpful.

Me: Nor are they accurate.

34. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Folks, we are getting way ahead of ourselves as well as off topic.

I tried my contacts at Nikon USA, but apparently they are attending the Photo + Expo in New York City, and so are some people from photo.net headquarters. I probably won't get any answer until next week.

B&H is showing the $300 instant rebate, but that is off the original $2999 price, making it the same $2700 we have been seeing from various stores.

35. "Cleaner pics at high ISO is where D700 shines over D300"

that was my point. yes there are options with double the resolution at similar (or less) price points but it is the high iso performance that
    defines the d700. one might argue that it is a result of the current resolution.

36. Henrys in Toronto is still selling the D700 for C$3299.00.
    Plus the 13 percent sales tax.

My local retailer here in Burlington knows of no discount
    from Nikon Canada.

And they were quick to note we in Canada rarely if ever
    see discounted prices, the market here is just way too small.

Though the D700 is digital as it was meant to be,
    film for me is still preferable.

My D40 and 16-85 VR lense is all I require for digital.

The D700 FX for Nikon is the first horse away from the
    start;
    there will be others, and at a lesser price over time
    no doubt.
    Many of us lesser peoples can wait.

37. The rebate as currently presented is very confusing. Many online vendors like B&H and Amazon have increased prices while rolling it out thus negating the discount and suggesting that prices will go up when it expires. Others have added the discount in on their old price.

Plenty of retailers have listings that make it appear the discounted price is somewhere around $2700, then really do apply the discount once you put the item into your cart. (Costco, for instance.)

The lowest price I can find is Abe's of Maine, who strangely, only give you $250 of the $300 discount, yet still have the best (tha tI have found) final price I found: $2499. (Significantly, I wouldn't pay sales tax on this. A Costco purchase would add $250 for me.)

My bet as to what is going on is this: Nikon is looking to clear a backlog of inventory. Purchases have slowed dramatically over the past month and they need warehouse space in the short term just to handle already-produced and shipped inventory. Production will drop after this month, and prices will go up in order to make up for the greater than 10% erosion in the dollar against the yen.

Speaking of clearing inventory, I'm going to have to sell some lenses pronto if I want to keep sleeping in my bed, as I just ordered one.

38. Wait. This is a brief marketing ploy (US$2750+$250-$300=$2700), the price will drop another $250 very soon.

The way the world financial and credit markets are collapsing, I think we will see some real bargains on Nikon stuff real soon.

39. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Berger Bros is also showing $2499:
    http://www.berger-bros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BBCVD&Product_Code=Nikon_D700&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Essentially, before this Nikon rebate, various stores were selling the D700 for about $2700.
    But there isn't exactly another $300 off that with the rebate. The final price varies from $2500 to $2700. I have seen some prices doing down and then coming back up a bit. It is confusing.

I am sure the recession and therefore lack of demand has something to do with it. The US$ has also dropped to some 94 yen today, a 13-year-low. Recall that about a month ago Rene and I were talking about 106 yen per dollar.
    I am sure Nikon is getting squeezed and so are its competitors.

40. Essentially, the stores (e.g. B&H) are pocketing all or part of the rebate.

41. Amazon's sales must be run by someone with a mean sense of humor. A few days ago, after weeks of going for $2759,
    the D700 was priced at $2688. Then, last night I saw it going for $2519.93 (I wrote it down). Now, it's back up at $2679.

I won't wait for a rebate. I'll wait for the wild Christmas sales. On Dec 10, I'll click on the "Place your order" button and
    won't look back.

Of course, I'll take a look at the Nikon site in search of downloadable rebates. If there are none... well, it wasn't meant to.

Thanks for the discussion!

42. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The camera stores were giving up part of their (extra) profit when the price initially dropped from the original $3000, and that profit reduction was completely expected. Now Nikon is giving a $300 rebate, the stores are trying to re-gain some of that profit they gave up, at least for a while. When there are not sufficient buyers who are willing to pay $2500 for a D700, the price will drop further again.

The fluctuations we observe in the last day or so is likely the result that the stores are trying to feel one another out and determine where the current market price is.

43. We are in the middle of a world wide recession. Many who live in NYC and had lots of cash have lost jobs on wall street and main street is worried and the whole retail sector is down by 25% or more. I feel honored to be in the company of the rich here who are seemingly immune to the facts on the ground most others know as the reality. 401k's are 201K's and every day the Dow keeps going down. I suggest that the reason prices are dropping are not only stiff Canon and to a lessor extent Sony but to the deferment of non essential purchases of want to have versus need to have items. Meanwhile having to carry inventory is expensive and Camera companies wants to keep product moving in stead of layoffs until times get better.

44. I certainly don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, BUT I have to say having come from a D300 to a D700 there is NO question it DOES provide a superior image all around to a D300. Better white balance, better low noise performance even at low ISO (I've seen this in my own images so yeah...there's NO question about it), and greater depth of field via the FF sensor (nature of the beast do your homework). That's not to say the D300 is any slouch....no way! But once you've worked with a D700 for a bit you get a bit more spoiled. There was sky noise using the D300 even at lower ISO's where in the D700 it's flat NOT there. I prefer the color output as well. As for resolution I now find the 70-300vr and Tamron 28-300VC gained a entirely NEW life. Sharp at the corners wide open (unlike on the D300's body) and I have no vignetting issues as some might think. All in all there truly is no question of the differences. I have no problems having given up the so called "crop tele view" thing. I'll take FF any day thanks. As for 23mb sensor files......I'll pass. I never print larger than 13x19 and that's rare for me. I have no compelling reason for the added resolution. I've done weddings as well with no complaints. Some just feel "more the better". For some that may be true. I don't need posters however thanks.....to each his own.....

45. "Francisco Solares-Larrave [Frequent poster] , Oct 24, 2008; 06:19 p.m.

Amazon's sales must be run by someone with a mean sense of humor. A few days ago, after weeks of going for $2759, the D700 was priced at $2688. Then, last night I saw it going for $2519.93 (I wrote it down). Now, it's back up at $2679.

I won't wait for a rebate. I'll wait for the wild Christmas sales. On Dec 10, I'll click on the "Place your order" button and won't look back.

Of course, I'll take a look at the Nikon site in search of downloadable rebates. If there are none... well, it wasn't meant to.

Thanks for the discussion!"

Actually, I just ordered one from Amazon today for $2520. I used their store card to buy it, which means I can pay it off in installments for 12 months with no interest.

46. "I feel honored to be in the company of the rich here who are seemingly immune to the facts on the ground most others know as the reality. 401k's are 201K's and every day the Dow keeps going down."

My 401(k) is down so much that the D700 seems like a trivial expense. It's a good thing that I don't plan to retire for another 20 years.

47. Good for you, Fred! Please, post back. I cannot order mine right now, but I will stick to my schedule.

48. $2500 for a D700 is 19.5K HK$. That's a pretty good deal chaps not far off what I paid for a D300 in Feb. I can't get one that cheap in HK.

49. A Nikon D10 introduction would also call for readjustment of the price of a D700.

50. I've been following the D700 prices at B&H and Cameta. B&H raised their price to completely wash out the rebate and Cameta is not reducing their price by 1 cent with rebate on their $2569 ebay offers. I've considered getting my first nikon body, D700 due to 14-24mm 2.8 reviews, but this instant rebate scheme nikon offers instantly rewards the sellers. I'll keep checking the D700 price because for $2,250 out of my pocket D700 would be impossible to pass up.

51. Lindy,

$2520 is still the price at Amazon, assuming they still have stock. I'm hoping mine will ship and arrive as promised (next Wednesday), although, when I just checked, it still doesn't show up as being shipped.

52. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Berger Bros still has it at $2499 and Adorama a bit higher. I would imagine that B&H will have to lower the price a bit next week.

If you want it to be $2300, you may need to wait a little longer. In Lindy's case, it really boils down to whether you want the D700 + 14-24 or not. I don't see the difference of $200 that huge a deal. That combo will cost you $4000 or so. If you don't have to have it, you might as well save $4000. But I managed to capture something like this with that combo:

http://www.photo.net/photo/7919556

53. I hate to ask but will all Nikon D700 be "Made in Japan" or eventually we will see "Made in Thailand".. Not that it makes a big differences (D200 was fine)?

54. If you wait a while at Amazon, I think you'll see it go up and down, maybe depending on what their inventory is. I saw this with the 85/1.4 about a year ago.

55. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

John, all D700 are made in Japan, athough I really don't think that makes any difference, except that perhaps they could have been cheaper with the lower labor cost in Thailand.
    All D200 and All D300 are/were made in Thailand, and they have been mostly fine. The ones I have are certainly fine.
    There are some glitches regardless of where a camera is made.

In fact, the D300 and D700 share a lot of components. "Made in whatever country" merely means where the final assembly was done. A D700 could have plenty of components made by Nikon and other companies' factories in China or Thailand, and a D300 could have parts from Japan.

56. This year I moved from pentax dslr to canon dslrs. For years I've used with adapters my nikon lenses and
    assessories
    on canon's old manual focus fd system and eos film system. Now days if I wanted to get the 12-24mm 2.8 it would
    be what, $300 off issue? I could buy it and 16-9 's Nikon G lensadapter for like $180 and wait 6 months or longer to
    receive it due to its popularity but I've waited once D700 got announced. Since I am in no hurry I write down prices of
    dream kit items and see that so far the
    $300 rebate has not, dollar for dollar, been integrated into the last D700 bestprices I wrote down. Considering I paid
    $1750
    in June for a brand new Canon 5D I'd rather see the D700 come in right at $2,000, which would only be $1800 above
    the
    cost of 16-9 's adapter to use G glass on eos mount and would then be a no brainer purchase. Nikon D700 at right
    price would be a welcome addition to my bag and I'd love to see how 14-24mm 2.8 outperforms my 16-35mm II eos
    lens. It should from the reviews I've seen.

No hurries. Getting a D700 is a want, not a need. That 12-24mm 2.8 nikon is certainly a lens I'd love to use. Having
    only seen how canon instant rebates work I was surprised to see no $2269 +or- D700 available after I
    read this thread.

I'll keep searching D700, hopefully someone will post the first sub $2300 D700 offers on photonet. If not, its all good
    and I'll shop accordingly as canon's instant cash offs run thru 1-17-09 and the sellers I buy from really did drop their
    prices, dollar for dollar, due to rebate.

57. Thats 14-24mm 2.8 Nikon lens I've wanting to buy and use ,not "12-24"

Lindy

58. "I feel honored to be in the company of the rich here who are seemingly immune to the facts on the ground most others know as the reality. 401k's are 201K's and every day the Dow keeps going down."

"My 401(k) is down so much that the D700 seems like a trivial expense. It's a good thing that I don't plan to retire for another 20 years."

As for me, If I could have back what my 401k is down, I could have bought 40 D700's. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there somewhere.

59. If I could have back what my 401k is down
    Forgive me my ignorance, but stocks go down and up all the time, won't it be back up in a few years time?

60. Given That the yen has swung from 120 to the dollar when the D700 came out to 90 to the dollar now; I'd say we're due for
    a price adjustment across the board to increase shopping.

61. whoops; let me correct that - upon further review it seems to have gone from ~110 yen to dollar to 94 now (still significant).
    I wonder how this plays into the equation, I imagine it isn't helping. Low dollar equals lower profits.

62. A weak dollar means higher prices for imports. But I was thinking that the dollar was up against the yen.

63. i don't know how much of a reliable source the guy who owns the camera shop near me is but i was talking to him about the D700 and the 5d Mark II and he seems to think they will be selling the D700 for "well under $3000AUS" when the mark II comes out. i'm not sure how it can drop in over $1000 so quickly but he seemed fairly adamant on this.

64. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Jake, if I were you, I would challenge him to sign a contract to sell you a D700 at such a discount by year end (or whatever the appropriate time is). It is easy to make those baseless and silly comments as long as there is no penalty for being wrong.

65. Perfect,

I like that!

3,000 aussie dollars are $1859 usa dollars.

Fits perfectly in my plans and betters it by $140 to $400 body only.

I'll be great to own duo brand full frame dslr platforms next year.

66. yeah it was kind of farfetched but another guy who works there was waiting for the Mark II so he could get the D700 at a lower price too....i dont know about $1000 lower but they certainly do anticipate a substantial drop.

i just remembered the rest of the conversation

"at almost twice the megapixels and features we are going to have to drop the 700 by quite a lot in competition to the new 5D"
    "how much do you reckon?"
    "well below $3000, which is funny because its such an amazing camera anyway"

in so many words.

i dont understand the point in making it up unless he just wanted to ruin my christmas spirit when i find it hasn't changed in price (Grinch) although i still dont expect $1000...maybe another $250 which is almost the same as this rebate.

67. D700 for $1895? I'll buy it. :) Might be worth waiting for. But for those who say the D700 has better image quality, maybe. That wasn't the case in the tests done by dpreview.com. I'm so satisfied with my D300, I don't plan to upgrade for many years.