Night Landscapes

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by davidtriplett, Dec 2, 2016.

1. So often we associate nighttime images with either astro-photography of the stars and moon, or of night scenes of the city or other man-made subjects including artificial light sources. I started playing with nighttime landscape opportunities almost as soon as I bought my first DSLR. If there is a moon for lighting, but the stars are not totally overwhelmed, it can make for some interesting effects. Here are a couple of mine. Please share some of yours.
    00eG8s-566696984.jpg

Supriyo likes this.
  2. Here is another one from Bryce Canyon:
    00eG8t-566697084.jpg

3. An emergency vehicle sliding through the frame....somewhat different than lightning. Some action is good.
    00eG97-566697684.jpg

4. Gup

Gup Gup

This is from a canoe trip in northern Ontario.
    It's always a challenge with a bright moon.
    00eG9o-566698784.jpg

yardkat and Renee Shipley like this.
  5. trying out 12800 ISO
    00eGD4-566710384.jpg

polydemic likes this.
  6. David- I really like your photo.
    Here is one of the Teton Range from the Idaho side on an extremely clear (and cold) night. This was a single exposure. The brightest object above the road was Jupiter.
    I have also been playing with a composite of two images, the first taken at dusk and the second, without moving the camera and tripod, taken after dark.
    00eGFV-566715484.jpg

DavidTriplett and Renee Shipley like this.
  7. Here is a composite image of two photos, one photo taken at dusk, and one well after dark.
    00eGFY-566715584.jpg

8. Glenn, I love both images. I've been thinking about trying the composite approach, and now I'll have to try and follow your example. Thanks for sharing!

9. Gup, what happens if you point the camera the other direction? Did you try that angle?

10. Beautiful shots, all of them! Why is it that where i live the sky is so bland but everywhere else it's just.. like in this pictures.

11. New Mexico

33 copy 2.jpg

Ray House likes this.
  12. Still trying to figure how this site works. Forgive the small image. Not sure how to delete it to then repost.

13. Ray House

Ray House Ray House

Colorado... Night.jpg

yardkat and DavidTriplett like this.
  14. Ray, very impressive. I love it!

likes this.
  15. Cherry Springs St Pk, Pennsylvania Feb 20

Lone Pine.jpg

Renee Shipley likes this.
  16. Glenn, I really like your last post of the Milky Way. Can you share the exif data and the location? David, your first image with the red cliff and tree is quite good.
    I will be going to Alaska and will be on an Arctic Circle day trip to photograph the Northern Lights. I have been reading Patrick Endres' e-book, How to Photograph the Northern Lights. It's superb and he's most helpful. I purchased a 16mm f2.0 lens for the Aurora. Any other tips you can send my way? Thanks. Larry

17. Larry, make sure you have a sturdy (very sturdy) tripod and a remote shutter release. Then practice, practice, practice so you know how everything works by feel. Trying to figure it out for the first time, in the dark, and as that once-in-a-lifetime image passes away is too late. Good luck and have a ton of fun! We look forward to seeing your results.

18. David, Thanks for your apt advice. I will practice night shots whenever I can get away from the city. Obviously, it won't be the Aurora, but at least I can practice getting the focus correct and experiment with different shutter speeds. Just practicing using the camera in the dark will be a plus. I will happily post any successes online at PN. Thanks again. Larry

19. There is a program called "Starry Landscape Stacker," which combines multiple exposures to get the best composite star images and combines them with the optimized terrestrial portion.

<br><br>I'm really interested in pursuing night landscapes, it's just not very practical in a Chicago suburb. 30 miles or so into Wisconsin may do the trick. My brother took a stunning photo of Bryce, using a 14 mm lens. The entire hoodoo field is captured, against the starry sky. I'd post it, but it's against the PNET rules.

<br><br> You can combine sky images to average out noise, but you need longer exposures to capture enough photons for deep space objects and stars dimmer than about magnitude 3. Exposures longer than 500/fl seconds leave star trails, unless you use a tracking device.

<br><br>A red illuminator will let you see what you're doing without affecting your night vision. i wish my Sony A7 had a red-only option in the finder, like my iPhone for star location.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017