Nature Forum's Other Weekly Image Thread, January 26, 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

As we are still discussing the exact name and posting guidelines for another weekly thread that should mostly be nature but can show some signs of human activities: Alternative weekly thread in Nature forum I thought I would get an image thread started. Please keep in mind that at this point, it is still a bit of an experiment.

Overall rules for posting images to in general still apply, such as it should be an image you have captured yourself and there no more than 1000 pixels on the long axis.

Please post a fresh image that you haven't posted before, at least to this forum, and preferably never to any other forum on Just like the Monday in Nature threads, every person is limited to posting at most one image per weekly thread, but it can be one image to Monday in Nature and another one to this thread.

The background of my image is probably too busy, but it clearly shows plenty of human development. Hopefully it fits the theme for this thread.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. A Rufous Bellied Thrush..... on a roof near us. Very similar in size to an American Robin but not nearly as loud and without the dirty nest building habits.
    Rufous breasted thrush.jpg
  3. Thanx Shun.
  4. Can't be sure I haven't posted this one before - but certainly not in MiN on account of what's in the background (Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara)
  5. 16B8DD10-F5FA-4D50-8BC6-E17755ACDFDE.jpeg
    Buena Vista Wildlife Area - WI
  6. A flock of turkeys landed on the roof of the building next door.

MarcelRomviel, Gup, JRCrowe and 6 others like this.
  7. Female Northern Harrier on the hunt.

MarcelRomviel, Gup, JRCrowe and 6 others like this.
  8. Thanks, Shun.
    DawsonPointers likes this.
  9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Sally, thanks for your comment, but where is your image contribution? o_O

So far, it seems everybody is having a pretty good idea what this thread is about. My image is probably showing too busy a background with plenty of buildings and even a couple of hikers. I was debating about which image to use and settled on this one, partly because it was around midnight for me and I just want to start the thread.

For that image, I was using a Nikon 200-500mm/f5.6 zoom at 500mm. Wish I had an f4 or even f2.8 lens with me so that I could blur the background further, but the more portable zoom was what I had with me hiking.
  10. Hey, Shun, I uploaded my turkey image separately from thanking you for starting the thread. --Sally
  11. Hey, Shun, I uploaded my turkey image separately from thanking you for starting the thread. --Sally
  12. Varanasi (formerly known as Benares)
  13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Sorry, how did I missed that? Somehow I search for Sally and the browser only showed one occurrence.

See I can't even remember someone has posted to the current thread. :(
    sallymack likes this.
  14. Not seeing what would disqualify that image from being posted in MiN - where's the "Hand of Man"?
  15. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

I think the point for this alternative thread is that you can show some "hand of humans" if you need to, but that is not a requirement. Any image that is suitable for Monday in Nature is automatically also suitable for this thread, but not vice versa.
    Gup and DawsonPointers like this.
  16. D
    Aren't they some of nature's most bizarre creations (the turkeys, that is)?
    sallymack likes this.
  17. A tom in full display is really something! If I looked like that, I'd be struttin' on the rooftops, too!
  18. Couldn't resist. The most literal "hand-of-man" example I could find. Taken last year in Yosemite Valley, Yosemite National Park, CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.