My Nikon AF 8008s is a Rock

robertgiles

<p>I took my Nikon 8008s and my wife to the Lexington cemetery, truly the most beautiful day and I kept a promise for a change. In the past 30 days my area has had tornados, 5" snowfall, and spring arrived. I was carrying the Nikon and the strap slipped off and the camera went bouncing across the pavement, hit the ground 3 times. I thought the worst. I thought it was all over but, the power was still on and no visible damage. I shot the rest of the roll and everything seemed ok. I dropped off the film at Walgreens later and love the results. This 8008s is a tank. Get one its great! </p>

<p>I narrowly averted purchasing one at a rummage sale last week. I hated seeing such a lovely camera sitting forlornly on a table amid a cluster of film and digital P&S cams, but I couldn't see spending $40 for a camera I have no lenses for when I already have some 30+ cameras across four different camera systems... I went back the next day and was in luck; somebody else had already taken it home to play with! Sure seemed like a nice camera, though.</p>

<p>AA ++ : I have two of these excellent cameras. Huge,bright,viewfinders,focus confirmation with all my classic glass -work on 4x AA's....put 'em in a drawer for 18 months,...they power right up...spot meter on the S model.<br>

Some say..the F90..F100 were the pick of the bunch.<br>

I don't feel like I lost out on the deal.<br>

Handed one to a DSLR owner (D70) ..ah yes,she said, "They had lovely viewfinders".<br>

Available any day of the week for..diddly squat.</p>

<p>I bought an N8008s in 2005 from KEH for a whopping $200. It has the MF-21 data back, which I've never fully learned to use.</p>

<p>Then in 2008 I put in an opening eBay bid on a pair of N8008s bodies and no one else bid, so I got 2 more for a total of $32.00. Ended up giving one of those to a friend that started with digital and wanted to get into film.</p><div>00aAaI-451881584.jpg.e046b9450d27dc2427653afa18525c3a.jpg</div>

<p>Yes, Ian Gordon. I encounter that often. Another common comment would be: "Wow, that is an oldie!!!" I would respond "Yep, I am an oldie!" . And recently when another fellow with an 801s saw me with my 801s, we raised our fists and said in unison: " It is film. It has got to be film!!"</p>

<p>I use to drool when looking at this camera. Never knew they were so tough. Never got around to buying one though, when digital came around the 8008s became a paper weight. I've seen quite a few of the discarded ones in absolutely horrible shape, maybe that's why I got the impression that they were delicate.</p>

<p>I have 3 of these very solid cameras: an American N8008S, a F801S and an original F801. The F801 is in poor condition cosmetically, but everything works as new! I bought it second hand and I guess the previous owner had dropped it a few times as the top LCD cover has a crack on it and the viewfinder illumination button is missing. No big deal: the illumination still works automatically when it gets dark.<br>

They are great cameras and I have one of the F801S with the MF-21 which adds a bunch of functions. There are a few things that I would like to see on the F801S: flash modes being accessed from the body, the top LCD isn't illuminated and a power grip. For the first one, I have a SB-26 that does everything one needs from a flash and for the others, they aren't essential to good picture taking!</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>Another nifty feature, IIRC, is that it works the 16A teleconverter to give a (limited) auto-focus ability with all manual lenses... something the later AF bodies omitted. However on my 801s, I found I had to key in a -1/3 to 1/2 stop exposure compensation, as the camera seemed to see the 16A like a 2x teleconverter and tended to over=expose. It's a pretty sweet camera, relatively light yet with a satisfying 'heft', a little slow autofocus, but hey it has it! Easy power source, great viewfinder display with exposure compensation shown on a scale, all types of metering, spot-on auto-exposure, buttons well laid out. </p>