my Daughter interested in DSLR shooting

revolver

<p>last week when I was about to buy my K50 my Daughter starts talking about taking pictures, thinking about this cute "Polaroid type" camera, this that and the other thing...so knowing my K100D still has plenty of life in it and feeling like it will become a paper weight compared to the K50, I ask, would you like to try this out honey??<br /><br />She did!<br />I slapped my 18-55 MM kit lens on it, gave her a few tips and sent her on her way....The next day she went hiking with her friends and took the camera with her. <br /><br />She has a good eye and took some really good pictures. <br /><br />bad news...sensor was dirty and got a few spots on some of the pictures but that can be fixed. I took the camera to a camera store and had a pro cleaning done, because I suck at it....<br /><br />anyway, she dropped a calligraphy class she was thinking of taking for a digital Photography class this coming semester<br /><br />:)<br /><br />I'm not to bad at this photography thing but the menus and sub menus and settings of digital is a little much for me at times....maybe we can learn together. I can teach her about the art of the capture and she can show me the electronics.<br /><br />oddly enough I also took Calligraphy class in HS and did well at it, would have liked to see her do that too but it is the 21 century not the 17th...lol<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Great to hear Christopher!<br>

As one who used to teach photography, the EASY part is how to technically use a camera (it takes work, but it can be learned). The HARD part is to teach the artistic side of it. With my students we would look at a lot of images and talk about what was a good image and what was not. I think the Calligraphy iis an excellent way to build an artistic eye. Lots of people can push the buttons. As evident from my facebook page, not a lot of people know how to take good/interesting images.</p>

<p>Douglas,<br>

Unfortunately everyone's idea of a camera these days is an iPhone. Mine too, but I am making them exist side by side. Nice to have a camera in your pocket even though it's a fixed lens. What's that old saying, "The best camera is the one you have with you." The exposure is always spot on, however, something I can't say about the more expensive rig.</p>

<p>My son (12 years old) is also into photography and I think he also has a good eye (unbiased opinion of course! ;)).<br>

I gave him my K-x and kit lens and then later I gave him my old A 50/1.7. He loved the manual focus and fast glass so much that when I inherited an old friend's camera collection he picked out a nice OM-1 kit from it with a 28 & 50 and he's been shooting quite a bit of film with it. <br>

He is also very interested in my MF gear (Voigtlander Bessa RF folder and a Pentax 645) and likes to shoot with that too. He's learned to use a light meter and is interested in learning the rules of composition. <br>

It's a great activity for us to do together and I'm having a blast. Well worth what I'm spending on film and developing.<br>

Afer all that he likes to take snaps with his iPhone too. It's what kids do these days! At least his are well composed. :)</p>

<p><em>"He is also very interested in my MF gear (Voigtlander Bessa RF folder and a Pentax 645</em>)"<br>

He definitely got a good eye for some gear !<br>

When I switched from Canon to Pentax I managed to save a camera and some lenses. They are a little dated but I'm hoping to pass that stuff on to my son. With tears in my eyes...</p>

<p>thanks for the replies <br /><br />"PS. My daughter likes photography too. But her idea of a camera is an iphone."<br /><br />Ugh<br /><br />As I have told my daughter about her snapping pics on an iPhone..that is not photography! <br /><br />lol<br>

</p>

<p>I have the following anonymous quote on the welcome page of my website:</p>

<p><em>"I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it</em>."<br>

<br>

I have experienced the essence of that quote, and think your daughter made the right choice.<br /><br>

<br>

</p>

• 4 weeks later...