Monday in Nature Weekly Photo August 25, 2014

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.
    In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large manmade structures like roads. A bird on the fence post or bug on your finger is fine. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's post 1 image per week. More details please check here.
    Monday Greetings,
    It's amazing how much conditions can vary from one place to the next within a locale. Autumn starts creeping in on one hillside but at a nearby lake a new brood of Wood Ducks sit motionless, waiting for a signal. Two ends of a north facing slope sharing a common ridge line seem like different worlds, one teeming with fungi and the other seemingly barren. It's just the nature of nature.
    I hope you've all had a great week with lots of variation. No need for a boring start to the week when Monday in Nature is the beginning.
    00cmpF-550693884.jpg

2. If the week needs a jump start, this will do it. Wild mint (Mentha arvensis) aromatic & tastes great. It's tea will get the week going.
    00cmpN-550695584.jpg

3. Just another summer butterfly this week. But it's nice to shoot them while they're around. Shot with the Sigma 150-500 at 400mm, iso 1600, f/8, 1/500.
    00cmpQ-550695684.jpg

4. I spent last week hiking on the Appalachian trail, first in CT, then in the White Mountains of NH. The weather was great at first but deteriorated somewhat later on. Here is an image of Mt. Clay and the Great Gulf just before sun and blue sky disappeared for the rest of the day.
    00cmpW-550695984.jpg

5. Butterfly landing on yellow flower. Seen at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin.
    00cmpd-550696184.jpg

6. [​IMG]
    Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Smyrna Delaware.

7. While walking at my local park over the weekend I saw this butterfly and fortunately I had my little Canon S100 camera with me to take the shot.
    [​IMG]

8. Fog drenched spider web.
    00cmpw-550697584.jpg

9. Amanita rubescens
    00cmpx-550697684.jpg

10. Backyard sighting
    00cmq1-550697884.jpg

11. Curt, really nice, but take a look at Lepiota americana and Leucoagaricus americanus, different names for the same thing. Amanita rubescens does not grow in clusters and has a very different base. You'll see the difference. The wood chips are also prime habitat for Lepiota and the double ring is characteristic of Lepiota. It can be easy to confuse them.
    It's a very nice image.

12. kts

kts

from the Sandy Ridge Wetlands friday afternoon......there were probably just as many deer as there were egrets and herons
    00cmqa-550699584.jpg

13. stemked

stemked Moderator

Winter Variation down in Oz.
    On my sabbatical I managed to travel to South Australia and see one of the true wonders of nature, the annual gathering of Giant Cuttlefish off Whyalla. For the last two years the populations had crashed so I originally hadn't scheduled it into my trip. But then I heard the numbers were up, way up, so I wasn't going to miss one of the true wonders of nature.
    [​IMG]
    Giant Cuttlefish, north of Whyalla, South Australia. Pentax WG-3.

14. Big Handsome Buck Poses on Ridge
    [​IMG]

15. Recent rains has encouraged new growth in upstate NY. - these fungi have re-appeared on the same butternut tree as last year. Two days before photo they were only little nubbins emerging from cracks in the bark. Laura, if you would, please identify - thought they were bracket(artist) fungi but they never hardened off last year.

16. Attached wrong photo, trying again :)
    00cmqw-550700084.JPG

17. Bob - I'll guess at Laetiporus sulphureus, but Laura and Rick are the experts!

18. I've not posted here for a little while; spent much of the summer doing fieldwork and was usually away from my computer on a Monday. This is a labyrinth spider Agelina labyrinthica; for once on its web rather than lurking within it.
    00cmrh-550701384.jpg

19. From a trip to a butterflygarden;
    00cmrx-550701684.jpg

20. Late Summer in my back yard.....
    00cms8-550701984.jpg

21. Didn't even have to go any further than the back yard to get the sunflower shot.
    00cmsC-550702184.jpg

22. Impressive stuff, everyone! Especially Jonathan's spider!

23. ...and with the picture this time.
    00cmsy-550704084.jpg

24. Sandplain Gerardia (Agalinis Acuta) - endangered plant:
    I am happy for the opportunity to document this rare, federally protected, wildflower. I visited the location twice but there were no blooms and, finally, the buds were open on my 3rd visit on Friday. And I was glad to see quite a number of bees busy at work. The flower is small - about 9mm x 12mm - less than 1/2" on either dimension.
    If you want to know more about this flower, Google, or follow this link.
    00cmsz-550704184.jpg

25. With a little bit of rain in the last week or so there are lots more mushrooms in our local park.
    00cmtS-550704884.jpg

26. Early morning dew on a "fox tail" (how they call them there)....appx 20 miles outside of Fairbanks, AK.
    00cmth-550705584.jpg

27. Really great shots this week! One of the things I love about my new neighborhood is all the trees. There are three big trees right outside the front door, and often I'm inside working on my computer and I can hear the birds darting among them. Yesterday, I could hear a Kookaburra outside, but just as I'd changed the lens on my camera and got outside it flew off 'laughing'. Darn they're quick! Later that day, after another failed attempt to catch another bird, I tried one more time. This time, the bird, the Spangled Drongo seemed happy to pose. It seems somewhat ironic to me that while the Kookaburra's always darted away laughing (at me) this drongo sat in the tree. Here's the irony - drongo is Australian slang for 'idiot' or someone who has done something rather silly. Here's what wikipedia has to say "The spangled drongo is the only drongo to be found in Australia. "Drongo" is Australian slang for "idiot", possibly referring to the bird's uninhibited and sometimes comical behaviour as it swoops and perches in search of insects, small birds and occasionally, small skinks." Ah, who cares, I got the shot!
    00cmv0-550707684.jpg

28. Bob, John got it, Laetiporous sulphureus.
    You may see another member of the genus with a creamy white bottom, L. cincinnatus.
    Jonathan, welcome back.
    Douglas, that must have been great.
    Charles Sumner, I really like that one.
    John Farrar, well, I don't know about expert status. That's very generous of you. You'd probably be quite amused at how often I tug at my braids wondering what some fungus is.

29. Periscope Up!
    00cmvM-550708484.JPG

30. Thank you Laura, glad you like it. I don't know the bugs that build these nests. Every few years the population peaks and our trees are full of them. I fear this small tree will not survive.
    Edit: Great job, everyone.

31. Gup

Gup Gup

how often I tug at my braids wondering what some fungus is.​
    I know a guy that scratches at a toe nail...
    Sorry... :)
    Here's a guy that lives 10' away from here.
    00cmvf-550708784.jpg

32. Grasshopper with thrift-store micro Nikkor 105/2.8 on NEX-6.
    00cmx7-550711584.JPG

33. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Avocets in flight
    00cmxA-550713584.jpg

34. Weeks of extremely hot dry conditions have turned Camsusa Creek which runs in a torrent along the mountain below my place much of the year, into nothing but a spindly trickle connecting a few pools which have lasted only by being totally hidden from sunlight be dense overhanging vegetation. There is absolutely no vantage point from which you can see there is water fifteen feet below the tree in this photograph. The evidence there is water remaining in a pool down there is purely circumstantial: that birds, like this Cedar Waxing, emerge from below, absolutely as soaked as a sponge. They are managing to take relief from the heat, the dust, and the bugs by taking a full-immersion bath, then rising to this tree to fluff, preen, and dry themselves in the mid-day sun. Ten meters behind the vantage point I took this photo from, the earth is scorched bone dry, the grasses so dry that despite three days of light rain last week, the fire risk is still rated extreme. And yet to get to my camera-vantage-point I scraped my way through thick, lush, blackberry brambles.....and paid the price to get this photograph....four blackberry thorn slashes across my right wrist in the gap between my jacket sleeve and gloves.....each 3 cm long, spaced 2 cm apart, and which bled profusely down my arm (and which, along with bee stings, wasp stings, and spider bites, taught me long ago to always carry a small spray bottle of ispopropyl alcohol in my photography cargo-pants pocket). Micro-climates ? You betcha. It's why rhubarb will grow in one corner of your garden in the city and not in the other corner 20 meters away. Differing levels of sun and water. Life on this earth survives because of one simple word. Diversity. Without that, there is nothing. Good topic
    00cmxP-550714084.jpg

35. to Michael Chuang, I've been debating having a smaller rig i can have along with me specifically as a landscape
    camera rather than carrying two full dslrs but uncertain as to quality. Your grasshopper is telling me maybe I
    should be carrying two NEX6's, one with a long lens for birds, one with wide for landscapes, instead of carrying
    a heavy 7D at all. WOW ! Great image.

(while I'm back on, there are two typos in my post I can't go back and edit..."be" shud read "by", and the bird
    beastie is obviously a WaxWing, with a "W" in there).

And I repeat.....good topic, Laura.