Monday in Nature, December 31, 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Basic Guidelines
    Each member please post no more than just one image to this weekly thread per week.

I know it is already 2019 in some parts of the world, but this is the final installment of Monday in Nature for 2018.
    Wish everybody a happy new year, and hopefully we'll see more participation on the Nature Forum in 2019.

Bald eagle returning home, captured yesterday, December 30.

_5007699.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Immature Bald Eagle D 7200 AF Nikkor 75-300 4.5-5.6 Macro - Yesterday
    DSC_9494 (1000x668).jpg

3. Ruddy Ducks, one female, two males
    [​IMG]

4. Eagle and nest....Llano, Texas DSC_9042.jpg

5. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

7-110_1310 - TONY0012 - Lichen 001b.jpg

I hope you've a liking for my lichen

6. Tanzania-Lake-Manyara-zebra-baboon-cr.jpg
    Is it something I said?​

7. "Gold sand" on Moonstone Beach at dusk for a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
    Moostone1.jpg
    Olympus EM1 Mark II camera with Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm lens @ 100mm (equivalent to 200mm in 35mm). 1/6400s f/4 ISO 1600.

8. Well, it's been a rather ducky year. Let's not make it too daffy ;) Cinnamon Teal going daffy Cinnnamon Teal flapping wings CRP Dec 2018.jpg

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Bill Boyd, that is a huge nest. I read that bald eagle nests weight about a ton, literally. They can be as heavy as 2 to 3 tons.

PuntaColorada likes this.
  10. Shun you are correct about weight of Eagle nest. This photo was taken in 2015 when the longest lens I had at that time was a 300mm. A pair of eagles had nested for several years about 100 yds from highway on private ranch land. So many photographers were stopping that TXDOT (highway dept) built a paved parking lot alongside road. Unfortunately in 2016, a windstorm blew the tree over destroying the nest. Eagles are still in area but no longer visible from the road.

11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Bill, sorry to hear about your eagle story. In my case a pair of bald eagles have been nesting on a redwood tree next to Curtner Elementary School in Milpitas, California, in the Silicon Valley. Without traffic, that school is about 15 minutes from my house. Hence I have been photographing there on and off in the last two years. This past spring/summer they raised two eaglets, and last year (2017) just one.

Since that is a suburban area, some people have taken drones to the nest. Fortunately they have not yet scared the eagles away, and the drone activity has stopped.

Bill J Boyd likes this.
  12. Hoppy New Year!

DSC_1753.jpg

13. Rod, thank you for the encouragement!

14. Supriyo,
    It happens that I am in an Ansel Adams reading frenzy the last few weeks, and have reviewed his photographic methods, development techniques, etc. I have marveled at his B&W photos and how they speak to the viewer. That reminded me that he was really excellent but also not exactly a magician, just a real master at the "Photoshop" technology that existed at that time. Although your photo isn't a landscape like most of his, it certainly has shared features. A really superb giraffe portrait. In my opinion, the only improvement might be another 1/2-1 stop of exposure to just give it a bit more detail on the right side of the head. Unless that ruins the whole effect of course.
    Rod

15. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

I think you mean the LEFT side of the head. I think that would blow out the bright areas on the right side. I vote to leave the photo alone.

16. Like I said, UNLESS it ruins the effect.
    And I meant the right (dark) side.
    It's not that I don't like it as it is, like I said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.