MF FOR STREET PHOTOGRAPHY

marco_novello

Hi

I am currently using M6 Leica and I would like to step into MF. I do mostly street photography but I would like to

start doing 16x20 prints having more details as possible. Any suggestions on cameras? I already read different

threads but since I am doing street photography and really don't wanna carry too much wait I know I have limitations.

Also some day would like to do some close up as well....

Any suggestions appreciate.

Thank you all

Marco

Marco, A TLR might do the job for you (waist level finder is good for candids if you point the lens in one direction while you are facing another) or, since you already are using a rangefinder camera, one of the Mamiya rangefinders might be more suitable. For follow-up, let us all know what you decide. Best, LM.

You can get a serviceable 16x20 inch print from 35mm B&W film. A medium format camera will not automatically guarantee better enlargements, just less grain. For one, you will need a much faster shutter speed to avoid camera shake at that enlargement. This can be hard to do considering lenses are usually a stop or two slower than their 35mm counterparts. Secondly, the depth of field is much less for medium format. That means more time to focus or an harder time "guessing". Finally, medium format cameras are not as ergonomic as 35mm cameras, making them harder to hold and slower to operate.

You should look at Mamiya 6 (645) or Mamiya 7 rangefinder cameras. The bodies are large but lightweight and not obtrusive, and the lenses are much smaller than those of m-f slrs. The viewfinders have projected frames to match the lens, much like a Leica. This means you can see objects outside the FOV for better anticipation.

For closeups you want an SLR like an Hasselblad or Bronica. It's more trouble than it's worth to use a rangefinder or TLR. You can use these monsters on the street but not inconspicuously. Most people will regard you as a crank with an old-fashioned camera :-) Look on the walls the next time you're in an Olive Garden restaurant. They have some marvelous m-f and l-f street shots from Italy and around.

A few months ago I acquired 2 MF folders. Both CLA and restored by Jurgen Kreckel. Agfa Isolette III (6x6) and an Agfa Record II

(6x9). The both can focus close to 1.2m. The Isolette has a f/3.5 while the Record is f/4.5. The Isolette has an uncoupled

rangefinder and the Record has no rangefinder (however the III model does). Usually when I am doing street shooting I go with the

f/8 and be there, with my focus set at 3m (10ft).

The nice thing about these are they fold up and slip into my back jeans pocket with no problem.

I had the same idea and bought a fuji rangefinder thinking I could use it handheld.

But the results were not better than 35mm and cost a lot more. I found that I needed a pretty good f-stop and shutter speed

when working fast and handheld, and the depth of field and camera shake brought the detail back to 35mm standards for the

most part. I love the camera and even bought another with a wider lens, but use them almost always on a tripod and get

spectacular results.

I will say this though, I get pretty close to 6x9 quality handheld using a Canon 5d at high ISO/shutter speed and the auto focus

really shines for handheld. Just something to think about. I can also shoot in very low light with an f2 prime and ISO 1600 with

the 5D, something that would be unthinkable with a MF film camera.

If you do still want to go this route, a Mamiya 7 would be the best choice, but it will cost over $2000 with just one "normal" lens.

One thing to consider is whether MF optics are going to be fast enough for you. Keep in mind that as nice as they are, 6x7 cameras like the Mamiya 7 are all f4 and slower. If this is a concern, the Pentax 67 has probably the fastest glass around.

Alternatively, look at 6x6 and 645 format cameras. Options really open up here.

Finally, take care in the film you use. I've been really impressed with Kodak's 400 TMAX (TMY2.) Use it at 1600ISO and pushed two stops in Xtol. The film retains an impressive amount of shadow detail this way. It gives you that additional shutter speed to better compensate for slow glass.

The Mamiya 7II, Mamiya 6 or Bronica RF 645 are your best bets -- very similar to your Leica in use and application. The

lenses are slower, but you can use ISO 400 film without much effect on the grain. <P>All that said, I agree that 16x20 from

Leica negs is no problem -- as long as you hand-hold properly, 20x24 is still quite sharp, though grainy.

Best thing to do if possible is rent a few kits and try 'em out. I've been using a RZ67 ProII for several years now. Yes it's heavy and the lenses are slow (f4.5 for my wide angle, and f2.8 for my standard) but given the bright LA sun and my own approach, these are not issues and this is the best camera for me. I did once try out a Pentax 67II for a day and played around with a Mamiya 7II in a shop once but found I still prefer my RZ.

"Mamiya 7II, Mamiya 6 or Bronica RF 645 are your best bets"

Yeah, they are very nice but they cost a bundle even today. I suggest the Bronica SQ-A with grip and either the waist level finder or the 45 degree prism. It's very light and handles much like a large 35mm with the grip. The PS lenses are EXCELLENT and for the price of one Mamiya 7II lens, you can have an entire system.

"A rangefinder, I use a Koni Omega Rapid sometimes.

It wont be much good for close up but is great if you find yourself in a sketchy situation."

Yeah, I bought my Rapids for street use, they're cheap, great images, and solid as a rock. And if I ever need a blunt object for self-defense, well, 3.5 lbs of Koni Omega being swung by the wrist strap is probably going to hurt.

You need a lot of light for mf street photography. Better to use a leica. The mf can be used in less hurried situations. Eg my mamiya 6 will be my main travel camera now to get me 6x6 quality in a package that weighs less than a 1d with grip. But my m7 and 35/1.4 will be my street photo + low light camera.

Mamiya 7 without a doubt. 16x20 is a big print from any handheld camera so you need all the real estate you can get. As previously mentioned shutter speed will be a big factor with moving subjects. I have moved away from using my mamiya 7 since the depth of field was just too narrow to be useable.

I now use a nikon D700, the amazing high iso performance means I can shoot at 1/1000 sec even when it gets overcast with much less dof problems the medium format.

I think your best bet is the Mamiya 7 or even the Fuji 670 or 690. I just picked up a Rollei 2.8C and love it for street

but switch back and forth between my M6TTL and the Rollei. It's definitely a different way of shooting. You'll start to

get people coming into your frame without even seeing them first. Focusing is a lot slower with the TLR as well. I do

love being right on top of people without them knowing. I tend to shoot close anyway with the M6. I find that I stand

still with the TLR and let people come toward me. I would recommend you try out the different models first. Most

TLRs don't have interchangeable lenses, so keep that in mind, but they are so sharp.

Also keep in mind that DoF will be different as well with MF.