How to upgrade camera Raw ?

I have the old CS5 version of Photoshop on my computer which I purchased back in 2011. Lately I've been having all sorts of problems trying to open RAW files, because I think the version of Camera Raw on my computer is outdated. To be specific, I'm having trouble trying to open CR2 files from my Canon 6D version 1 camera.

I went to the Adobe website and tried downloading several newer versions of Adobe Camera Raw, but nothing seems to happen ? I'm not sure where the download went and I still can't open RAW files. Did I miss a step, or is anyone familiar with this upgrade ?

CS5 is pretty old, it simply doesn't support the raw file formats for the new cameras. You need to update your Photoshop. Then the camera raw updates will be automatic and free.

I was hoping you didn't say that... I might just go with the DNG converter since I really don't need/want to update the entire package. Now that they switched to The Cloud I am very hesitant... Thanks

The 6D requires ACR 7.3, CS5 only goes to 6.7.

Or use the free Adobe DNG converter: Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Adds another step to the workflow - but is a/the way to keep using older photoshop versions with newer cameras that aren't supported by the older ACR version.

Success !! I downloaded the latest version of DNG converter, I think version 9.2 ? I was able to convert 100 RAW files in about 5 minutes. Then uploaded to Photoshop and performed RAW type edits. I still don't know where the download put the DNG converter ? I looked in the Adobe folder on my C: drive and it's not there, I had to do a search for it ?

I looked in the Adobe folder on my C: drive and it's not there, I had to do a search for it ?

Downloads normally go into the User/Download folder in Windows by default. That would be the first place to look.

It's only if an update is initiated by, or through, a particular piece of software that a download gets automatically installed.

IIRC, the Adobe RAW converter (ACR) is a plugin file with the extension .8db, or something like that. I've tried myself to simply throw an updated plugin into the appropriate Photoshop folder of an old standalone version, but no dice.

I'm pretty sure it could somehow be hacked to accept newer ACR plugins, but I really can't be bothered these days. Not when Capture One does a 10x better job IMO.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I still don't know where the download put the DNG converter ?

At least for me it's under Program Files (x86)\Adobe. It's an exe file named Adobe DNG Converter (who would have guessed?)

Sorry, that was my old version (9.6 from 2016). I just downloaded the new one (13.2) and it installed in Program Files/Adobe/Adobe DNG Converter

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

Now that they switched to The Cloud I am very hesitant

They didn't switch to the cloud. My Adobe software is all on my local machines, and all of my photos are stored on my local machines. They do offer cloud storage if you want it (I don't). They offer a somewhat reduced version of Lightroom that does work on images stored in the cloud, but you don't need to use it. I never have.

All that has changed for people who like things to be on their own local computer is that you have to pay for a monthly subscription rather than a large amount for periodic updates.

Adobe has added some very powerful features in recent years.

• Like 2

They didn't switch to the cloud. My Adobe software is all on my local machines, and all of my photos are stored on my local machines. They do offer cloud storage if you want it (I don't). They offer a somewhat reduced version of Lightroom that does work on images stored in the cloud, but you don't need to use it. I never have.

All that has changed for people who like things to be on their own local computer is that you have to pay for a monthly subscription rather than a large amount for periodic updates.

Adobe has added some very powerful features in recent years.

So you mean to tell me if I upgraded to a newer version of Photoshop, I would get a box with a Disk and Backup disk inside with instructions and NOT some type of link. Also I would not have to subscribe to their Online/Cloud service like the new versions of Windows office ?

So you mean to tell me if I upgraded to a newer version of Photoshop, I would get a box with a Disk and Backup disk inside with instructions and NOT some type of link. Also I would not have to subscribe to their Online/Cloud service like the new versions of Windows office ?

As I wrote, you would have to subscribe. As for how you get the software: most software is distributed from the cloud now, even if you buy a perpetual license frather than a subscription. However, with the exception of the cloud based lightroom, none of the adobe software runs in the cloud. It runs on your local computer, exactly like your out-of-date version does, and it stores the images on your computer, just like your out-of-date version.

An approach other than using a DNG converter is to use Canon Digital Photo Professional software. The software disc should have come with your camera and can be upgraded to the latest version through the Canon web site. DPP does a fine job of converting RAW files to tiif format, which can then be sent directly to Photoshop from DPP, with no intermediate steps. It also supports batch processing of RAW files to tiff. DPP can perform basic editing operations as well as lens correction.

I've been using RawTherapee for several years. It's a wonderful open source RAW editor that complements general photo editors lacking up to date RAW capability. It makes a great mini-suite alongside GIMP - I love it. And it's updated with the latest RAW formats more frequently than the other programs I've used since my PS became obsolete. Since I retired, I just couldn't justify the cost of going to the Adobe Cloud.

An approach other than using a DNG converter is to use Canon Digital Photo Professional software. The software disc should have come with your camera and can be upgraded to the latest version through the Canon web site. DPP does a fine job of converting RAW files to tiif format, which can then be sent directly to Photoshop from DPP, with no intermediate steps. It also supports batch processing of RAW files to tiff. DPP can perform basic editing operations as well as lens correction.

Never thought about that, but I will give it a try. Digital Photo Professional did come with my camera. I rarely use it, but it' s great when it comes to printing.

I've been using RawTherapee for several years. It's a wonderful open source RAW editor that complements general photo editors lacking up to date RAW capability. It makes a great mini-suite alongside GIMP - I love it. And it's updated with the latest RAW formats more frequently than the other programs I've used since my PS became obsolete. Since I retired, I just couldn't justify the cost of going to the Adobe Cloud.

I have ACDsee on my laptop computer which handles RAW files just like jpeg. There is no intermediary step like in Photoshop. Unfortunately, that software package is on my laptop computer. I rather use my desk top computer, because it has a 22" screen and despite being Windows 7 it is faster than my laptop. Lightroom and Photoshop are stored on my desktop computer don't see myself upgrading until my desktop dies and i'm forced to upgrade.

I don't see myself upgrading until my desktop dies and i'm forced to upgrade.

GIMP and RawTherapee are open source "donationware" (and I do think it's appropriate to support people who put out such great stuff). You might consider downloading one or both and giving them a try. There's nothing to lose, and you may well find that the latest versions of these let you do things you can't do with older versions of paid programs.

GIMP and RawTherapee are open source "donationware" (and I do think it's appropriate to support people who put out such great stuff). You might consider downloading one or both and giving them a try. There's nothing to lose, and you may well find that the latest versions of these let you do things you can't do with older versions of paid programs.

Last time I downloaded Gimp(which was not too long ago) it kept freezing and crashing my computer, not sure why ? I WILL give this RawTherapee a chance though sounds interesting...

Another great&cheap software editing package is 'Affinity Photo'. They use to be the old Sans-Serif from Europe. Now it has matured to the point where it gives Photoshop a good run for the money and it's now selling at 50% off the regular price of $50. I downloaded a copy for $24.95 just the other day...

As I wrote, you would have to subscribe.

And for your machine to remain internet connected - not a great step in the direction of security.

"The best network security is not to be connected to a network!"

Last time I downloaded Gimp(which was not too long ago) it kept freezing and crashing my computer, not sure why ?

I've used GIMP for several years and over several versions with no stability issues at all. Just steer clear of the Hue/Sat module that has a terrible and unacknowledged bug in the Lightness function - it alters neutral greys along with saturated reds!

And for your machine to remain internet connected - not a great step in the direction of security.

Adobe requires connecting only infrequently, I think 30 days, to verify the subscription. It's a very rare person who is not connected for 30 days running. The people who do that don't post to forums on the internet.

The people who do that don't post to forums on the internet.

Well you're wrong there.. 'cos I do.

The workstation I use for post-processing and primary file storage isn't internet connected. It's linked to an internet gateway machine by a hardwire ethernet, which only gets activated under a user account set aside for that purpose and with limited file-sharing priviledges.

After getting a couple of Vundo-like virus attacks that took ages to eradicate, that's the way I like it. And if my internet-access gateway machine gets clobbered - well I won't cry too much. Just reformat its drives and re-install from a backup.